Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm due to take delivery of a new 308 1.5 BlueHDi next month, and was just wondering what peoples views were on how best to run the car in?

For the engine, I'm inclined to go with (for the first few hundred miles or so);

• Avoid full/maximum acceleration
  • Avoid maximum revs
  • Avoid labouring the engine
  • Avoid long, sustained revs (Motorway driving etc)
  • Very Engine load up to around 3500rpm
Smooth and gentle for everything else (brakes, electrics suspension etc)

Any other tips? :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair point! :lol:

Generally, yes. But there are occasions at the moment (Diesel with 75k on the clock) where i would use full acceleration, more than 3500rpm (Up to 75% of the available power band) and allow the vehicle to chew up the motorway miles (i.e sustained revs etc) which i wouldn't consider on a diesel engine that hasn't run in past the few thousand miles mark yet.

I was just interested in people's views on running in their diesels engines. The points i made were what i applied with my last car (BMW Engine) and it's never had an issue. I can't imagine much has changed in 3 years! :)

·
5,673 Posts
I would not worry drive normally just don't drive it like you stole it for a few hundred miles, modern manufacturing tolerances mean engines do not need running in like the old days.

If you are too gentle or follow the old school running in process it can cause issues with bore polishing due to modern oil anti-scuff and other additives stopping bedding in process this then causes high oil consumption.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts