Peugeot Forums banner

New driver advice please

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  reliable406 
#1 ·
my vehicle is a 2t hdi manual
it has just has a new clutch assemble fitted
I am normally a petrol car person so driving a diesel will be different I agree

This car does not like being driven in top gear slow it starts to shutter at 40klms with the light pedal so a change down is needed
on an incline not to steep even in 3rd gear it wont take it slow

by the time i have changed to what i am used to in a petrol this car is doing 70 kls per hour

so tell me am i expecting to much and therefore must use lower gears to cruse slowly under 50 klms

#2 ·
On my 2.0 HDi I find that it's smoothest in 3rd gear up to about 50kmh then I change to 4th. I would shift to 5th at about 80 kmh but it should pull that on the flat at 70kmh.
I find this car very high geared compared with other diesels I have driven. Even at 70 mph (112 kmh) the revs are about 2500 rpm or a bit less.

#3 ·
If you do not know the service history of the car I would get a full filter service done including the engine oil so that is fuel, oil, air and pollen filter changes. Then see if there is any difference in performance. If not then at least you have not wasted your money as it pays to ensure all of the vitals are kept in good nick. The pollen filter helps the coolant system to operate better!

#4 ·
thanks

where is the pollen filter

also is it normal for the gears to be hard to select when the vehicle is cost first start worst second gear
it gets easier when driven for a while
coming back from 3rd to 2nd is a sometimes difficult first thing
as is first to second

#5 ·
Pollen filter on my car is accessed from the engine bay. It's on the bulkhead on the righthand side (driver's side UK) behind a cover which just pulls off.

No the gears should not be hard to change. It might be worth getting the gearbox oil level checked. It's awkward to do as it looks like it's only accessible from underneath the car (but I could be wrong).

#9 ·
Changing the clutch will have no bearing on road speeds in each gear i have a 6 speed mondeo here and i hardly use 6th gear as its so tall you need to be doing at least 50 for 6th gear to cruise comfortably at 30 you are generally in 4th !

My v6 espace i can go down to 20mph in 5th

Diesels are geared differently to petrols you just need to get used to it.

#10 ·
Stiff changes when cold is often they used wrong gearbox oil they need the Total BV 75w80 oil lots of people have had this issue with other oil

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rustyroger
#11 ·
opps

Nead urgent answers
relation to the gear cables at the gearbox end

Can the outer causing be turned I would have thought they would be fixed
and the distance from the outer casing to the ball joint should be close
the lower and back cable is about 10 plus cm away from the ball it looks too far away

both balls joint don't turn on the ball casings real freely

I am thinking this is the cause of bad second changing when cold

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.