Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am hoping someone could put my mind at rest.:confused:

I had my clutch changed on Friday 8th May by Mr Clutch.:nono: I've had the vehicle since Feb last year, I've done best part of 40k on this clutch and noticed it started to overheat and slip, so decided to get it changed. When I got it back from Mr Clutch, I noticed it shudders/judders in 1st or reverse when lifting the pedal to engage the gear and move. Took it back Saturday afternoon and the 'Fitter' test drove it and said it is fine, the manager then said that you have to let these things 'bed in' ?!?!?!?!

Now I'm no qualified mechanic by a long shot, (but I can do most mechanics, just never a gearbox or clutch) but I have driven a fair few miles in the past 20 years of driving, in different vehicles with different types of clutch and only experienced the shudder/judder when the clutch is on its way out and needs replacing.

The question I'm after an answer to is, 'Should my new clutch shudder/judder and need bedding in?' as they say?? I have never experienced this before on a new clutch. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Sometimes they do judder a little but you don't tell us much info there are various clutches can be fitted to a 04-07 expert as it can have more than 1 engine !

check the bellhousing bolts are tight these being a bit loose can cause judder

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Still a choice of 2 :)

8 valve and 16 valve but the clutch system is basically the same its a pull type clutch problem is with the pull clutch if you have a judder then the bearing can sometimes get pulled back out the cover I recommend you go back and tell them it was not like that before and it has not bedded in.

Does it have a dual mass flywheel and if so was this changed or just a clutch

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe it to be the 16v.
not sure if it has a dmf, surely they would've told me what type it was when i first booked it in?
So as far as i know, if it does have 1 then don't think so no, but according to a mechanic i spoke with on saturday afternoon, he said for the price i paid if it was a dmf then it would've been changed at same time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not that i know of no, they didn't mention it. They did replace gearbox oil coz i asjed them to do that and replaced a driveshaft seal coz apparently it was split and leaking, even tho driveshafts are only about 2 months old!! I did ask them to look at gear stick cables as i seem to quite a floppy gear stick even when in gear.
Their print out said:
Shift cables worn
Gear linkage on gearbox worn
Offside middle cv gaiter split

·
Registered
241 Posts
Do a few 'hard' pull aways and see if it cleans it up, could just be an uneven surface on the flywheel as you did say your old clutch was slipping an over heating.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I would have thought any 'bedding in' would have taken place long before 40k miles unless you've never had to change gear :) I've never heard anything good about Mr Clutch. I've read many complaints about being charged premiom parts prices for budget clutch kits. It's possible they fitted a budget clutch which could well be on it's last legs.

Think I'd be getting a second opinion. Mr Clutch won't want to admit that it's on it's way out if it would mean they have to replace it for free.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mr Clutch where ?
If checked all of the above responses maybe get them to check gearbox mount.It has a sleave that goes on the pin and sometimes the mechanics when they throw the gearbox on the floor it drops out.This can cause clutch judder had this many times....

·
6,081 Posts
You can get judder if they leave the gearbox hanging on the clutch plate while trying to locate the gearbox.

Sometimes its also worth leaving the rear mount loose and driving round the block and then re tighten once the engine/gearbox had settled into place as often garages do refit and tighten all mounts with engine still fitted to brace/hoist etc and therefore its not in its natural postion and mountings move when weight is restored

1 - 12 of 12 Posts