Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, would appreciate your opinion on an issue we have had on my wife's 308 1.2 Puretech (130hp).
Driving up to York the other week the car suddenly refused to select any gear at all. No warning, no clutch slipping, no smell, no noises... nothing. AA prognosis was that the clutch has gone.

Car is currently at the local stealership - they agree that the clutch needs replacing - they have told us the cost could go as high as £2600 depending on if anything else is mullered.

So, question to the forum - are 308's prone to worn clutches after 3.5 yrs and 45k miles? To me this seems really early for a clutch to go completely. I cannot find anything on the web that suggests it is a widespread issue, but you guys may know more. The car gets a decent mix of short and long journeys and the wife doesn't ride the clutch or abuse the car, but we are second owner (Peugeot owned it before - it was a sales managers car i think) so who knows how it was treated in its first 18months of life!

Any insight very welcome!
Scott

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wow! That’s an expensive estimate... if they aren’t offering any good will I’d find it difficult to justify leaving it with them.
It’s hard to know the true extent of wear or cause of a clutch failure (if it isn’t already obvious) without inspecting it which will involve removal of the gearbox and if you’ve gone that far you just aswel replace it.
i can’t comment on it being a common problem as I don’t see many 308’s where I work but it’s not something I see on this forum. If it is a common problem there may be a updated/modified clutch kit or flywheel or even a slave cylinder depending on what failed.., Peugeot should be able to tell you this.
If driven carefully a clutch can last the life of the car but there’s so many variables affecting this, however to suddenly fail without any warning would suggest a component has failed.. problem you have is that if you agree to remove the gearbox to inspect the clutch, in anticipation of some good will from the dealer if they turn around and say no you’re stuffed, if you decline the work they put it back together charge you and you take it away to be charged again to remove the gearbox or you get Peugeot to install a clutch/flywheel and pay twice the price of a local independent garage.

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
This is the first case I have seen raised here, so I would assume it's not common.
There have been many cases of the clutch operating arm and ball joint wearing, but not the clutch itself.

That sort of money to change a clutch is just ludicrous.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! That’s an expensive estimate... if they aren’t offering any good will I’d find it difficult to justify leaving it with them.
It’s hard to know the true extent of wear or cause of a clutch failure (if it isn’t already obvious) without inspecting it which will involve removal of the gearbox and if you’ve gone that far you just aswel replace it.
i can’t comment on it being a common problem as I don’t see many 308’s where I work but it’s not something I see on this forum. If it is a common problem there may be a updated/modified clutch kit or flywheel or even a slave cylinder depending on what failed.., Peugeot should be able to tell you this.
If driven carefully a clutch can last the life of the car but there’s so many variables affecting this, however to suddenly fail without any warning would suggest a component has failed.. problem you have is that if you agree to remove the gearbox to inspect the clutch, in anticipation of some good will from the dealer if they turn around and say no you’re stuffed, if you decline the work they put it back together charge you and you take it away to be charged again to remove the gearbox or you get Peugeot to install a clutch/flywheel and pay twice the price of a local independent garage.
Thanks for the reply - agreed we are a little bit between a rock and a hard place - I guess I am just trying to get a feeling for how hard I push the stealership for discount/goodwill based on the age/miles of the car. It just seems early for a clutch to go completely to me.

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
When they first started fitting dual mass flywheels, faults often happened within 60k miles, and you couldn't change gear. Happened to my 307.
Maybe this is what has happened in your case? But even so it's a ludicrous price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts