Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just want to to share some pictures of a successful head unit install on my 2006 Peugeot 407 sw. I've had several Android head units before but this one is by far the best. The screen is bright and responsive, the CPU is snappy and all the canbus functionalities work great. There is two-way communication on some functions, like AC "mono" function and interior light behaviour that can be set from the screen. The grid lines on the reverse camera bend when you turn the steering wheel, which is something I didn't know was possible on the 407. It was a bit difficult to install and fit neatly in place with all the cables and connectors filling up the space inside the dashboard but with some fiddling it finally fell into place. This one is an eight core, 4GB RAM, 64GB model with integrated 4G that was purchased from AliExpress. Really happy with this install!

Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant Automotive design Audio equipment
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part Plant

Communication Device Telephony Gadget Portable communications device Audio equipment

Output device Plant Gadget Mode of transport Vehicle

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the review! What brand did you buy and does the original headunit do anything? (i.e, can you still use the buttons on it?)
I bought it from an AliExpress store called BySeven Europe Store (allthough they ship from China) but many other stores sell the same unit under different names. I believe it also may be the same unit as the popular T'eyes CC3 model. It's a real quality product none the less.

I haven't really looked deeply into what the funtion of the original radio is after the installation. The volume knob does not work, but I have by accident pressed some buttons that caused some random event on the screen. It maybe could be possible to keep the original orange display, and fit it in a new housing ontop of the dashboard (seen some pictures online of such a configuration) which would be great since you would keep the possibility to change various vehicle parameters through its menu. It's not super important to me right now though, so I may keep it just as it is. And it was VERY difficult to fit the original radio back after the installation with all the cables and connectors so I don't want to start messing with that again. :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yep, most of the units come from one or two factories, pretty much all the same. The top brand one's come with their own software though.

Here's my implementation, I put it together a couple of years ago. The android headunit has no integration with the car, the little screen and car functions are controlled using a Connects2 CTSPG013.

You can create a blanking plate like I have in my car. Personally I think you should have the headunit disconnected. The reason for disconnection is potential issues of having two items with a similar ID code sending signals down the canbus and possibly causing issues.
If you moved the little screen like I did, you would have no way to control it other than use the original headunit but all functionality should be present on your main android screen?If it is, why bother integrating it? It is not cheap or easy to do! :)

The way it works is, everything in the car is connected together. For the original headunit to display MPG, it sends a specific code to the BSI, which then sends a specific message to the instrument cluster, little screen etc to display the MPG.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, yes that's the housing I was talking about. I've been pondering different options for the original radio, like disconnecting it or even completely removing it and replacing it with a small storage compartment instead. I've only had the Android headunit for a few days so I'm not totally familiar of all its functions, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't replicate ALL functions of the original display.

I'm curious to see what would happen if I'd reconnect the original display. Its brown plug is now just lying freely inside the dash with no use.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The only functions the android headunit needs to replace is Aircon controls (display and AC switch off) and Trip Computer readout. If it can do that, then there is no need for a littel screen.

The housing cost me £75 GBP but likely to have increased since. Also needs the top vents cutting etc... it's not pleasant! If you connected the little screen, it should just work, even without the original headunit! It has it's own computer inside and is controlled by the BSI, not the headunit!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I'm most keen on having are the warnings and fault descriptions (ie. "faulty rear fog light bulb" etc). The little screen on the gauge cluster only shows very limited info. On the other hand, if an OBD reader shows the same fault descriptions that would be enough. Do you know if I can see that through an OBD reader? I have just purchased one.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Ah I see. The android headunit may be able to do that... I am not too sure if warnings are given though, it will be something you need to test. In theory, it should as it's not too difficult to code in but these coders can be lazy!

No, some of the "warnings" that show up on the little screen are just warnings, not faults and most are manufacturer specific codes which OBD software can not decode. Plus, if I am thinking correctly, the OBD software would have to be manually checked when you think there is a fault... which is not ideal!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, tanks for you input. Checking manually would be OK since the little screen in the gauge clusters usually gives a hint that something's up, but it doesn't give the full descrition. But I will play around with the headunit and see what it can do in terms of vehicle integration before I decide what to do with the original screen.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, this was interesting... I was looking through every menu on the headunit and found this under Factory Settings -> Analog Buttons. It looks sort of like a replica of the buttons on the original RD4 unit. When I only find the time I will connect the original display and see if these buttons can control it. If that were the case, it would be perfect.

Computer Output device Gadget Font Display device

1 - 10 of 10 Posts