Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My new 308 Active has a knocking coming from the rear axle which appears to be due to weld cracking. I understand that this is not an isolated case and other cases have been reported. Does anyone have a similar problem? And what if anything is being done.
I have had the car from new since Dec 2014 and informed Peugeot who have been looking into problem for some months but have not yet informed me of their solution. My local dealer says that I will need a replacement axle.
Love to hear from anyone with their experience on same issue

Colin

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but did you have any satisfaction in getting it sorted!? My car has developed pretty much the exact same issue. There's a metallic rattle/creaking and when the wheels spin, it sounds as if something rubs intermittently.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi

I have the same issue with my 308, it is only registered in January 2015 but has a what's best described as a tinny knock under the chassis, as if a stone is hitting the exhaust. On checks by Peugeot dealership it has been decided a new rear axle is required, hopefully under warranty. The car has only done 19000 miles from new.
Maybe Peugeot know there's an issue with these axles???

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
The problem is simply down to cost cutting during manufacture of the axles leading to poor quality parts being fitted.

Peugeot are suffering the same as every other manufacturer and as a result are trying desperately to cut costs sometimes through these measures mistakes are made 308 axles seem to fall into this category they are not welded properly from new.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep, had exactly the same symptoms yesterday, took my car to Richard Hardie Sunderland who immediately advised it was the axle, car is now in the garage and a new axle is to be installed on Tuesday. In the mean time I'm driving a bright orange 208.. which is interesting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
tyres

probably is but started when the axle was changed so I was just curious to know if others had the same issue.
IT is more noticeable when on a smoother surface and there isn't other noise from the road....... isn't related to engine speed or camber / cornering

·
Registered
1 Posts
Peugeot axle problem

I have a 6mth old Peugeot 308 with a tinny sound from the rear axle,
The garage I bought it from wants the car for a day to inject foam into the back axle this will take 20 mins but the rest of the day to set. Is this a solution to solve this problem or is it a quick fix until some else happens to the axle and out of warranty

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rear axle problem

There is a known issue with a good number of 308 rear axles caused by faulty welding. This can cause a tinny/ knocking sound from the rear underneath of the car. Double check with your Peugeot dealer that this is not the problem you have with your vehicle as the axle would then need replacing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Axle problem, 2 months out of warranty!

Hi there, new to forum as turned up this thread whilst looking for 308 axle problems.

308 2.0D 150 ALLURE BLU - registered Feb 2015 so just 2 months out of warranty.

Car started with horrendous grinding noise last night, dealer this morning took a quick listen, and immediately suspects its a problem with the rear axle, and offered the information that this is a known problem.
Must stress they haven’t made a formal diagnosis yet, but having found this thread it seems more than likely.

Any advice on getting Peugeot to contribute / foot the bill for the necessary repairs out of warranty?

Car has done less than 30,000miles, and if the diagnosis is made, then it’s clear this is a manufacturing defect. Indicative costs otherwise seem to be north of £500!

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
If the issue is the rear axle tube issue then warranty is irrelevant its a known fault that peugeot WILL rectify its not a warranty issue its a manufacturing issue

·
Registered
2 Posts
I phoned my local Peugeot dealer and they told me that as it is not a recall and there is no warranty then I’d have to pay for it myself unless it is a manufacturer fault which is highly unlikely.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts