Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all,

I just had a conversation with my local dealership and she told me they've just taken delivery of 4 3008s that will be for sale. All diesel of varying spec.
So if you are thinking of buying or bored with waiting this may be an option?

Anyone interested let me know and I'll sort contact details.

Grumpy.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Problem is the stealers want full price for them. They should not allow dealers to order cars that are not allocated to customers, as they are just exacerbating the wait for people.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know the circumstances behind how they stocked them. But it does seem a bit odd considering people are waiting a long time for theirs. My wife included..

Maybe they did a bulk run on the assembly line and these are the left overs, I don't know!

Grumpy

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
I don't know the circumstances behind how they stocked them

Maybe they did a bulk run on the assembly line and these are the left overs, I don't know!

Grumpy
That is exactly what happened i have already said it elsewhere they build basic versions in bulk and all the others get slotted in some combinations will be held back till enough orders are there to justify changing the lines to suit its not really a problem normally its just peugeot have been caught out by exceptional demand and parts supply issues.

Bear in mind we are a tiny part of the overall market for these cars and LHD models will be built in the same factory so there are various changes need done back and forth so it makes sense to build bulk runs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Most manufacturers don't build one model at a time these days, they know which orders are coming up for fulfilment so the parts for those particular vehicles usually arrive on the production line from the different factories a day or so before each vehicle is built.
There was a series on one of the discovery type channels about it a while back where they filmed various cars being built (sadly not Peugeot) and stated that they did not hold stock in case they were needed, rather it was the right stock at the right place at the right time. Our problem is probably one of the other factories (engine/dashboard/electronics etc) not being able to cope with the demand therefore holding the whole production line up - if peugeot operate the same type of production lines as those on the programme that is!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Afternoon all,

I just had a conversation with my local dealership and she told me they've just taken delivery of 4 3008s that will be for sale. All diesel of varying spec.
So if you are thinking of buying or bored with waiting this may be an option?

Anyone interested let me know and I'll sort contact details.

Grumpy.
Don't basic supply and demand principles apply anymore?.
How can a production line, under pressure to supply the demand, somehow produce them to have them lying around.
The Australian RHD market can't be supplied as yet!
It's bonkers.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Here's a thought to ponder.

Maybe they weren't bought by the dealer to hold as sales stock. Maybe, just maybe they were originally customer orders and the customers got so fed up with the delays and cancelled the orders when it was too late to cancel the build and they don't exactly match the specification of other orders made around the same time frame.

It's pointless passing judgement on that dealer without knowing the full story. It might be all above board and venting your own frustrations is unjustified. Even if the dealer did order them without a customer then how is this wrong. The paramount purpose of any business is to make a profit. If that particular dealer had the foresight to see how well received the new 3008 would be then they have done nothing wrong in ordering the vehicles for their stock list so they can provide a car without delay for their own customers. It's the dealers that didn't anticipate the demand or have the gonads to take a chance on holding stock and end up with frustrated customers suffering extremely long lead times that your anger should be aimed at.

Why is it that people always attack the businesses that get it right by showing good business acumen ?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to the dealers on Monday on another issue, I'll try and find out the circumstances surrounding these 3008s and get back to you all.
Incidentally back in 2011 when they first launched the 508 the dealer was allocated 4 508s by peugeot. The deal was, take in 4 and get a good discount. I know cos I bought one with a 20% discount on list.
I wonder if the same has happened here with models that have been produced on spec as Reliable says..

Grumpy

·
Administrator
2,909 Posts
I went to my dealership today and saw 4 new GT Line 3008s with transport wrapping on.

I asked the Salesman if one was mine, (jokingly hopeful of course), to which he free admitted the following.

They ordered 10 in February and used 'made up' customer names as Peugeot wouldn't supply dealers unless they were ordered and not for stock.

So non existant Mr Jones/Davies/Smith etc have all had their cars delivered but sadly 'cancelled' their orders so now anyone can buy them and have immediate delivery.

The cars, are all standard GT Line diesels in various colours in manual and automatic!

I said, what about people like me that's been waiting 13 weeks and still not had delivery as the factory is so busy...he assured me if one was a 1.2 petrol auto he would have rung me....not the point I was trying to make though!

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
That's disgraceful, and I would definitely be reporting them to Peugeot. I imagine that could be serious enough for them to lose their franchise if it was proven.
I bet you wouldn't be saying this if it had been your dealer who had done this and just happened to have an exact match for the car you wanted enabling you to have the car with no delays. You'ld be rubbing your hands together with glee and making sure everybody knew that you would have your 3008 in days rather than months. And I'm pretty certain the same would apply to everyone who's awaiting delivery of their new car.

Yes you may well refute this but it is so easy to say you would feel exactly the same way when it's hypothetical but in the real world, you wouldn't tell the salesman that you want to take your turn in the queue for a new factory build rather than take one off the forecourt.

Double standards everywhere.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Wrong, I wouldn't take that view at all. What they did was underhand, and against the strict instructions given to all dealers by Peugeot. If this action is being repeated by other dealers, then the waiting times for genuine customers who have paid a deposit on a car, and are now sitting waiting for months and months, is likely to be significantly increased.
If I was still waiting for my car knowing that Peugeot are struggling to fill genuine orders, and my dealer had placed fake orders to get stock vehicles they were not entitled to, I would be extremely angry about it. They are a bunch of greedy unprincipled gits.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Like I said - very easy to take the angelic standpoint when it's purely hypothetical but no-one not even yourself would know for sure until it happened for real and human nature kicks in. We all like to think we would do the right thing but temptation is a very cruel mistress that human nature cannot always resist. Now the point has been brought up, it would be far easier to take the angelic route just so that you could prove your original statement but as the oracle said, 'would you still have broken the vase if I hadn't mentioned it ?'
Just in case you didn't see the movie, it's from the Matrix. But if you've watched it you'll already know that.

Given the choice of have the car in a week or wait three to six months a great many will choose the first option with very few (if any) preferring the second choice unless there was a substantial increase in the cost of getting it in the shorter period.

If, as you state that people would indeed take the long wait then why are there so many complaints about having to wait. It's simply because we don't like having to wait because we want it now. And because we want it now, if we had the opportunity to have it now we would take that opportunity.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have to put my hands up and agree with storeman, if I had a phone call tomorrow stating that the leasing company just happened to have my car in stock in the same spec etc. and offering me the choice to take that one or wait for 'mine' to be built I would bite their hand off and take it without losing any sleep over it.

I do agree that what he dealers have done is wrong but they anticipated the demand and got some in stock, that's just husiness. If they have broken Peugeots terms of business that their risk. My local dealer had two models in the showroom and one for test drives but stated thatnthey were not getting any more in as they were built to order.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
PSA make their money by sell units , and that's all that matters really.
When we're they last in the situation of having a runaway best seller and not being able to keep up with demand?.
I just hope they succeed in remaining as independent manufacturers rather than being absorbed into another cereal box one.

·
Registered
544 Posts
When my car was damaged before I picked it up I was offered the option of ordering another new car but was advised that it was likely to take several months.

The salesman searched the Internet to try and find me another car elsewhere in the U.K. of similar spec and I have to admit, if he'd have found one, I'd have snatched his hands off, regardless of the circumstance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.