Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking at getting a 3008 as it looks fantastic and loads of kit. I test drove the GT Line 1.2 auto the other day and it seemed really nice. However, I am worried in the long term it might be a little underpowered for such a big car and I am little concerned about it only having a 3 cylinder engine. Also, has anyone got the 1.2 manual as this would probably be my choice over the auto.

I currently drive the 208GTI 1.6 with 208hp which is fantastic but not great for a family motor for comfort on long journeys, especially for kids. The problem is it means I used to having a lot of power and speed on hand compared to what the 1.2 3008 might offer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Didn't you test drive a car that you can't configure and buy these days anyway? So it's not a decision point (I think).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got a 1.2 auto and am quite happy with performance, however there's usually only two of us in it, but I have not noticed any decline in speed etc with four adults.

Can't comment on long term as have only had it for a month, put it this way I have not regretted getting the 1.2. If your going to tow with your car then don't choose the 1.2.

See if you can get a longer test drive to make your mind up?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I just moved house and went to my new local dealer for a test drive, but they didn't seem that eager and could only put me in a car with the auto that I understand is not being produced. That being said it still gave me a decent feel for the trim and interior. I am going back to my old dealership where I got my GTI as they will give me a better test drive hopefully in the 1.2 manual.

Has anyone got the 1.6THP auto? That looks like it would have a bit more power, but I worry it would just guzzle petrol.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I would wait for some of our fellow 1.2 engine and manual gearbox 3008 owners to come along for their comments, but difficulty with the footrest and gear changes are of particular concern with some new 3008 owners.

There are posts about these issues on the forums, with one or two even saying that the footrest issue, would convince them to get rid of the car and get an auto gearbox. The difficult gear change is also picked up by some
car magazine reviewers, but other owners have said it gets better over time.

The 3008 is a really lovely car to look at and the build quality is up there in a league different from cars of years ago. The equipment levels are really good compared to other cars, where many of the features are all cost options.

I can certainly vouch for the EAT6 auto gearbox as very nice, smooth and a real pleasure to drive around in - albeit mine is paired with the 2.0 180 engine. We also, don't seem to have the footrest problem.

My understanding was that there is a temporary stop on the 1.2 GT Line EAT6 auto model at Peugeot, so you couldn't actually order one new in GT Line trim. There were however a number brand new ones around and in UK stock, as my Robins & Day dealer seemed to be able to source all manner of brand new cars, in stock and many fitted with lots of options.

Well that was six weeks ago. Other Peugeot dealers didn't seem to be able to come up with these in stock cars, so might be worth considering R&D.

Reactions: Blaugrana314

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Yeah I just moved house and went to my new local dealer for a test drive, but they didn't seem that eager and could only put me in a car with the auto that I understand is not being produced. That being said it still gave me a decent feel for the trim and interior. I am going back to my old dealership where I got my GTI as they will give me a better test drive hopefully in the 1.2 manual.

Has anyone got the 1.6THP auto? That looks like it would have a bit more power, but I worry it would just guzzle petrol.
I have the 1.6 THP Auto on order; in fact I've just come off the phone with the dealer, my GT Line 1.6THP has just arrived and ready for me to go look over.

Anyway, I first tried the 1.2 Auto and had zero issues with power/speed. In fact hitting that sport button gave the impression of a sense of urgency.
I had a second test drive after finding the 1.2 Auto was withdrawn. This time it was in the 1.6 Auto.
Differences:- Not much in the low range but you do notice it at higher speeds when for example overtaking a lorry at 70. The pick up 50-70 seemed more urgent and positive, as if it wanted to carry on accelerating without any pause.

Overall I went with the 1.6 ~ mostly because the 1.2 was not available but had it been I seriously think I would still have chosen the 1.6 :)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Just to add, definitely get an extended test drive of the 3008 manual to check its comfortable to drive.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I also have the 1.6 auto on order.

Never driven it, though... nor did my other half, who it's for. We drove the 1.2 as well. We just assumed it would be 'better'... I dunno! Leap of faith?

Beards - I would be pleased to hear you report back that your contrast stitching is as it should be in your GT Line.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I currently drive the 208GTI 1.6 with 208hp which is fantastic but not great for a family motor for comfort on long journeys, especially for kids. The problem is it means I used to having a lot of power and speed on hand compared to what the 1.2 3008 might offer.
I went for the EAT6 1.6 BlueHDi - 120bhp, 300Nm - it's not a pocket-rocket, but will take 4 adults with a teenager, and a complete boot full (top part as well) of luggage easily enough. The only time it struggles is in france where the 130Km/h limit large long hills and their way of pulling out, accelerating around the truck.. it lacks a little bit of power at the top end (70+mph with a full load) where the shape vs turbo doesn't quite make up for the displacement difference of a 1.8 or 2.0 litre.

I got mine through R&D. Good service but you do pay for it as they're not looking to be a discount dealer (they are peugeot owned).

There seems to be a steerage that a 1.2 engine with a heavier load (people+gear) is asking for a larger engine and I would agree. That and I bought this car for longer trips, large numbers of people and or luggage (quite a regular thing) and we have a little matiz (possibly mazda 2 replacement) for short town driving.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Gosh, good, I now want to see your Checklist and then unashamedly plagiarise it.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

·
Registered
e2008 GT 2021
51 Posts
I have the 1.6 THP Auto on order; in fact I've just come off the phone with the dealer, my GT Line 1.6THP has just arrived and ready for me to go look over.

Anyway, I first tried the 1.2 Auto and had zero issues with power/speed. In fact hitting that sport button gave the impression of a sense of urgency.
I had a second test drive after finding the 1.2 Auto was withdrawn. This time it was in the 1.6 Auto.
Differences:- Not much in the low range but you do notice it at higher speeds when for example overtaking a lorry at 70. The pick up 50-70 seemed more urgent and positive, as if it wanted to carry on accelerating without any pause.

Overall I went with the 1.6 ~ mostly because the 1.2 was not available but had it been I seriously think I would still have chosen the 1.6 :)
I have the 1.6 petrol Allure auto and find the performance very good. It's the poorest mpg in the whole line up, but I can live with that as the performance makes a good car even better.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I went for the EAT6 1.6 BlueHDi - 120bhp, 300Nm - it's not a pocket-rocket, but will take 4 adults with a teenager, and a complete boot full (top part as well) of luggage easily enough. The only time it struggles is in france where the 130Km/h limit large long hills and their way of pulling out, accelerating around the truck.. it lacks a little bit of power at the top end (70+mph with a full load) where the y shape vs bodturbo doesn't quite make up for the displacement difference of a 1.8 or 2.0 litre.

I got mine through R&D. Good service but you do pay for it as they're not looking to be a discount dealer (they are peugeot owned).
I guess I must have been really lucky with my car through R&D, or they were having trouble shifting the 2.0GT 180 3008 (diesels and all that), but with my trade in allowance, no finance, extra bits like mats, I managed to get over 14% off list price!

I was told, that they would beat any other quote offered by any other dealer. They more or less said, because they were Peugeot owned, that allowed them to be able to discount the most? Who knows.

Sometimes your visit may need to correspond with them needing to reach an overall sales target for the end of the month, so that maybe a useful tip. I know there was some urgency in me taking delivery before the end of the month.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have the 1.6 petrol Allure auto and find the performance very good. It's the poorest mpg in the whole line up, but I can live with that as the performance makes a good car even better.
Snap........ I'm not concerned with fuel costs, providing I can get a decent enough range between each fill.
As you say, having that extra power for overtaking is my big tick button. ✔

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have the 1,6THP EAT6. I'm averaging 44MPG (in MyPeugeot app) without trying to drive like I'm in a Eco-race.

On paper it is as quick as the GT with 180bhp tractor engine. However I feel that it doesn't have that much torque and the EAT6 steal some power, so I am pretty sure it will be nowhere near your GTI with manual from stand still. The 3008 is by no means a pocket rocket (not a rocket at all actually). I should mention that the 3008 does not have sport seats, so it's not a car you want to go fast around turns with. I have the GT-Line with optional leather seats, and it feels like I'm sitting in a couch.

I chose the 1,6 over the 1,2 because I do a lot of driving in "high" speeds at motorways and B-roads. Because the 1,2 is not as powerful, it obviously needs to be pushed harder (change gear more often) and use more fuel to keep up with the 1,6.

What you should choose depends on your needs. If you pull heavy stuff, have a lot of people on board, or need to drive a lot in high speeds, then I would choose the 1,6. Otherwise I would choose the 1,2.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Was everything a thumbs-up on your checklist - no scuffles or raised eyebrows?
Tell you what, I tried my damned hardest to find fault. I even checked the model decals to see if they were not aligned correctly.

In fairness the guy handling my vehicle is ex-Royal Marine so detail should be his name.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the comments on the 1.2 and 1.6 it is very useful. Have managed to get a test drive in a 1.2 manual later this week. But can find a 1.6 to drive. The dealer told me they are very rare.

I am told Peugeot have a new 1.5 diesel engine on the way for the 308. Anyone know if this will be going in the 3008?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Beards - are you picking your new arrival up on the 1st September?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts