Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had a 106 or a Peugeot for that matter. Dont have them in the US. If I look for a GTI....what should I look for? Any years better or worse than others? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I have to be brutally honest and say don't look for a 106 it will end in tears :)

Rear axles
boot floor rot
front wishbones/hubs
diabolical brakes

Find a good 205 far better car.
Also, the pedals are too close together. If you've got big feet you will press the brake and the clutch at the same time if you're not careful :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what about the 306 gti? I started off looking at the 205 gti......was pointed to the 106 for some of the same reasons. Looking for some get up and go. AC would not be bad either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to be brutally honest and say don't look for a 106 it will end in tears :)

Rear axles
boot floor rot
front wishbones/hubs
diabolical brakes

Find a good 205 far better car.
Not much problems with Rust here. Cars are so expensive,,they car for there cars. Dont see much rot. Thought these are good handling cars?... so you are saying the brakes are bad? What are the problems with the rear axles and wishbone hubs? Thanks.

·
Registered
884 Posts
what about the 306 gti? I started off looking at the 205 gti......was pointed to the 106 for some of the same reasons. Looking for some get up and go. AC would not be bad either.
306GTi ,now your talking sense,not sure about a US spec` one though? but I think over here they were a brilliant little car,and that 16v engine was one of Peugeot`s best.Mind you we are talking about old cars so it all depends on how its been looked after?? the "306" problems to look for are,rear axle radius arm bearings seizing or braking up(recon axle),leaking heater matrix(big dash off job),wiring loom from door to A post braking up,all the normal AC problems to look out for,all the normal mechanical issues associated with old age and mileage?? clutches tend to last as long as a piece of string but get very heavy and stiff that can cause the cable to break.Front coil springs have been known to fail due to seized top strut bearings.
If you can find a nice one,with everything working properly,I`m sure you will not be disappointed? Quick,solid,comfortable,well handling and reliable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From the US but I live in Turkey now. So, that is why I have no experience with the Peugeot line. One of the reasons I was looking into the 106 gti is there are a few in my area. The 205 and 306 are kinda scarce in this area. Only have one each to chose from.

·
Registered
14,888 Posts
GTI6 is a good car but they do suffer from abuse my son bought 1 that had lots of owners had been lowered and I mean lowered :)
so low it ripped the exhaust off but he has fixed most of its issues now and it is a reliable and surprisingly economical car.

The biggest issue is because of the 6 speed box Peugeot restricted steering movement so it needs a lot of space to turn !

106 is a cheaply built car but if rust is not an issue where you are then it could be ok as axle failure is partly due to the climate so in a hot country that might not be as much of an issue

Front suspension is pretty basic and the brakes are shocking but there are ways to make them reasonable

1 - 10 of 10 Posts