Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi - i think i may have dislodged the ribbon that goes through the wiper arm stalk into the steering wheel.....i was checking to see if i could fit a onboard computer by checking to see if i have the circuit board or ribbon cable....anyway the rear wash wipe has stopped working...was ok before i popped off the end of the stalk...how do i remove the steering wheel shroud to see if the ribbon has been dislodged ? ta

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
yeah i've learned that aswell...opened it up and bits flew out everywhere haha :lol: stupid little springs....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys....damm it looks complicated, it suggests that i may have broken the ribbon cable....??? dont remember doing that or bending the ribbon cable..as i simply just popped off the end of the wiper stalk...to see and popped it back on......lol...suppose ill have to drive without it....

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
have you got warranty on your car? i was thinking that if you do you can take it in and get a new one fitted under that, just done mention taking the end off. also they cant tell the differance as a techy in a garage is not qualified to open the unit and have a look for them selves, it has to be done by the people who make it ie valeo or bosch etc etc. just mention you havnt used it in a while, went to use it and it didnt work, and that you checked all visible fuses nothing else....just to stay with in terms and cons....other than that you can probs buy a 2nd hand unit of the parts guru himself (betty) for cheap and get a garage or someone confident with cars, to do it for you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no warranty im afraid as i bought it locally from a private seller....just gonna have to live and drive without it...only needed when its raining lol....will try and see if i can somehow manage to push the ribbon cable back somehow..but i cant see how as there isnt much play in the ribbon cable once you pop the end off....

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
from what i have learnt in the past by taking a ribbon one apart, if there is a little resistance stopping you pulling it then it is still connected, it does need a little force to take it out fully, it will give about 2-3 inches of clearance. could be the fact that when you took the end off the contacts for the switch at the end didnt go back to how they should thus not allowing to use rear wiper, i know if memory serves me right, there is a little contact ring, that is a bastard to get right again....but when you do that you will have to be gentle not to pull the ribbon all together...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks mate ill have a much closer look for that little connection ring as i didnt really noticed that ring, is it possible it may have fallen off ???just clicked it back on...i think ill have a much closer look when i pop it off again...anyway got to get ready for work...need to post all those letters that are sitting in my local delivery office,,,,lol..:p ...will post back...see ya..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok had a good look today...popped off the end of the wiper stalk...i coudnt see any connection ring at all.....perhaps i dropped it when i took it off the first time?.....put it back .....still not working....waht does the connection ring look like..where can i get one from...?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
hmm... from what i have learnt the end of those are in 2 bits, the bit what your seeing is the ribbon, but close to the end is the chip board bit with the copper ring...if you look in the end when your at the ribbon is there a chip?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no mate i cant see any chip board just the ribbon cable running deep down into the steering column.....and the other end runs into the bit that pops off....no sign of a chip board...

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
yeah that bit at the end also splits off and this is where that ring is, i wouldnt take it apart if you havnt before, so that will be fine, looks like the ribbon has just come out inside the comm unit then

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
If you`re going to attempt this and you find out the ribbon is broke which is very unlikely more likely just pulled out of the plug,

edit- just checked , to pull it out of the plug you would have had to be very hard on it , the plug holds it very tight,

before you attempt to take it apart pm me your address and ill send you a new arm in case your ribbon is damaged , that will save you taking it apart twice.

at least then we will know what you have and what you need for the trip switch.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bettyswollocks said:
before you attempt to take it apart pm me your address and ill send you a new arm .
thanks mate...recieved today...:thumb: ....before i attempt to fit it...i need to sort out out why my car has died on me....gonna ring the the rac homes tart on monday...see what faults it comes up with..thought id start it today.....got it started for about 5 secs then cut out...

·
Registered
117 Posts
end of wiper stalk dismantled

not sure if this is of use to anyone but thought I'd add some pictures of the wiper stalk being put back together after having broken it apart to clean it. This seems the most appropriate thread as it's the one I found when looking for some pointers on how to do it.

A short prelude - the button on the end of the stalk that controls the trip computer became 'sticky', whereby a single press would act as if it was being held in, thus the trip counters would constantly reset. Having pulled out the stalk-end (and in turn pulling out the ribbon from the comm2000 unit), I thought I would clean up the contacts with the hope of curing the sticky button.

Pic 1 and 2. End of the stalk removed.
Pic 3. Split apart further (two springs will pop out so be careful)
Pic 4. Remove spring holder and contact ring by sliding upwards
Pic 5. clean the contacts (and also the contact ring)
Pic 6. Shows springs inserted into holder, about to be put back into stalk-end
Pic 7. Spring holder re-inserted
Pic 8. Contact ring set into place

After this you simply need to push the two parts (shown in pic 3) back together.

All I need to do now is take the steering wheel etc off and re-connect the ribbon cable - hopefully won't be that tricky :eek: I'll add whether or not the fix worked later...it's just about been 30 minutes with the battery disconnected...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Doing the same at the minute for Auto lights on the other side , changing them back to manual , ribbon connects easy inside comm unit just make sure you line up wheels first and don`t turn ribbon for airbag or you could damage it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Doing the same at the minute for Auto lights on the other side , changing them back to manual , ribbon connects easy inside comm unit just make sure you line up wheels first and don`t turn ribbon for airbag or you could damage it.
When you say you're changing them back to manual do you mean to deactivate the auto lights?

Thanks for the tips, I have the airbag off as well as the 'horn plate' (as in plastic shell that has the contacts on, but am currently stuck without my socket set so am waiting for my mate to drop it off before I can remove the steering wheel and get to the comm2000. By lining up the wheels, do you mean I should note the position when I do get the wheel off? Also, ribbons for airbag came off by pulling straight upwards - is that where you mean not to turn them?!

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Auto light stalk was faulty so changing it ,

the hole through your comm unit where the steering wheel will go there is a ribbon built in ,
when the wheels are lined up straight remove comm unit ,

when you have comm unit out you will see a large jubilee like clip ,the bit of the comm this is attached too has a ribbon inside so when you turn the wheel its always connecting to the airbags , this ribbon will only turn so many degree`s , so if you turn it then put it back on the car at the wrong point when you turn the steering wheel it will break ,then you get airbag fault and it can`t be fixed,

best thing is line up wheels , then comm off , make sure you turn nothing and open comm unit , the circuit board and stalks will be on one side the ribbon for airbags on the other , it is always inclosed in plastic just don`t turn it ,

you`ll see when you open the comm.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Auto light stalk was faulty so changing it ,

the hole through your comm unit where the steering wheel will go there is a ribbon built in ,
when the wheels are lined up straight remove comm unit ,

when you have comm unit out you will see a large jubilee like clip ,the bit of the comm this is attached too has a ribbon inside so when you turn the wheel its always connecting to the airbags , this ribbon will only turn so many degree`s , so if you turn it then put it back on the car at the wrong point when you turn the steering wheel it will break ,then you get airbag fault and it can`t be fixed,

best thing is line up wheels , then comm off , make sure you turn nothing and open comm unit , the circuit board and stalks will be on one side the ribbon for airbags on the other , it is always inclosed in plastic just don`t turn it ,

you`ll see when you open the comm.
Need a bit of help please mate...

I've got the socket set and removed the large centre screw...is there something else to remove before the wheel comes off? I can't seem to get it off and rather than apply too much force thought I'd better ask first :confused:

Attached pic of what I'm seeing so far.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts