Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Ok so MY additive minimum level warning has been up a couple of weeks and really need to get this sorted. Peugeot want to charge me like £240 to fill up a take of of fluid... That seems like a rip off! I see others mention you can buy a refill kit yourself for ALOT less and I was wondering if there was someone local with a pp2000 who could fill it and reset the counter for me. Of course willing to pay hopefully not £200+ though!

I live in East Sussex willing to travel around East Sussex to get this sorted. Please please pretty please :) Ill even bring some of my wifes amasing home baked goods if you want :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can you refill it without resetting the ECU and it will still work but just continue to give the error? Or do you have to reset the ECU before it will start taking the fluid again?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Can you refill it without resetting the ECU and it will still work but just continue to give the error? Or do you have to reset the ECU before it will start taking the fluid again?
think you need to reset it so it knows you have some fluid

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I wouldn't use reclaimed brake fluid as it does absorb moisture from the air making it less efficient but I might be tempted to use reclaimed Eolys as long as I was confident the reclaimers had a good procedure in place. The fluid would still be in use in the original car had it not been resigned to the breakers for some unconnected reason.

I'm no chemist and have no idea of the make up of this fluid but would imagine that with the small amounts mixed into a full tank won't turn out to be detrimental -and people put reclaimed chipshop oil in their cars in much larger quantities, not all of it correctly filtered or processed.

·
Registered
599 Posts
You have no idea... that Eolys is a mess. It's dangerous as hell.

Sure, that small amount MIGHT not harm your 60L reservoir... but you risk having a clogged FAP and then paying Peug 500/600/700£ to replace it, or those same 200£ so someone removes your FAP and reprograms your car.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
You have no idea... that Eolys is a mess. It's dangerous as hell.
You don't read what people write.

What I wrote was
but I might be tempted to use reclaimed Eolys as long as I was confident the reclaimers had a good procedure in place
Note the words I might be tempted & as long as I was confident the reclaimers had a good procedure in place.

I didn't say I would use that particular supplier or that particular batch of reclaimed eolys. In fact I didn't say I WOULD use reclaimed fluid - only I might be tempted to use it

Also you failed to process this statement I made

I'm no chemist and have no idea of the make up of this fluid

I'm sure you would like to elaborate and explain to us self confessed Non experts why that eolys is a mess and more to the point why that eolys is dangerous. A statement like that without any qualifying and proveable evidence could be construed as inflammatory and libelous.

And as for you opening salvo saying I have no idea. I have plenty of ideas - some good, some not so good but still ideas. And while you may know more about eolys than I do there are certainly areas where I am more knowledgeable than you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you got it done? I'm having the same issue here. My pug dealer quote me 800£ for changing particulate filter and eolys refill. Anyone between portsmouth - brighton that can help me out cheaper? I really need to get this done. My 307 doesn't have power anymore.

·
Registered
599 Posts
You don't read what people write.

What I wrote was Note the words I might be tempted & as long as I was confident the reclaimers had a good procedure in place.

I didn't say I would use that particular supplier or that particular batch of reclaimed eolys. In fact I didn't say I WOULD use reclaimed fluid - only I might be tempted to use it

Also you failed to process this statement I made

I'm no chemist and have no idea of the make up of this fluid

I'm sure you would like to elaborate and explain to us self confessed Non experts why that eolys is a mess and more to the point why that eolys is dangerous. A statement like that without any qualifying and proveable evidence could be construed as inflammatory and libelous.

And as for you opening salvo saying I have no idea. I have plenty of ideas - some good, some not so good but still ideas. And while you may know more about eolys than I do there are certainly areas where I am more knowledgeable than you.
Damn, i totally missed this post :( Sorry.

I didn't meant it as a offence. What i meant is that Eolys is considered harmfull by most industries, flammable, dangerous vapours, skin damaging.

When a liquid is as volatile as this, it has a tendency to deteriorate with time and exposure.

How can this be measured, i don't know. Maybe there's some sort of information regarding "best used by" on the bottles, or void after 20xx.

Regarding this:

reclaimed chipshop oil in their cars in much larger quantities, not all of it correctly filtered or processed.
They do ??

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
@daedric

Fair point. Written words can be misconstrued. I've never had a car with a DPF until May this year so I've no personal experience. I guess if the fluid is reclaimed from a vehicle that has been scrapped due to damage that hasn't affected the system and sold quickly then I can't see the harm as the car it came from would still be using it had it not been written off. The procedure has to be clean so as not to contaminate it though.

As for reclaimed chipshop oil, I ran an 02 Astra for a few months on home brew biodiesel. Not the best you can buy as one 20 litre container I got had blobs of set fatty bits floating on top. The car ran well on the stuff though and returned a similar MPG to regular diesel but it was costing me 66% of the cost of diesel and when you go through 60 litres a week that's a considerable saving. Wouldn't want to use it in my 308 though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Most products that are available to the public are considered "Harmful" by all sorts of organisations and possibly most household products are classified thus . Eolys is also hazardous -if you decide to drink it or immerse yourself in it but used with caution by any competent person they would come to no harm . The main elements of Eolys is Isostearate which is also used in cosmetics and Cerium Oxide which is used for polishing glass , all this then would be suspended in a product from the alcohol family. Yes it is inflammable (alcohol) , Yes it is harmful ( if ingested )
Eolys is not even regulated for transportation by land ,sea or air.
If you are competent there is no reason why you can't tackle the job yourself for a fraction of the mentioned dealer price , a 1 litre bottle can be purchased for around £ 31 and should you need a fill kit for another £12. but you would need to reset the ECU for it to work properly.

·
5,894 Posts
Additive pump is inhibited by ECU when min level reached to prevent pump damage from dry running. Counters need to be reset once pump inhibit has occurred or DPF will block

·
Registered
599 Posts
@daedric

Fair point. Written words can be misconstrued. I've never had a car with a DPF until May this year so I've no personal experience. I guess if the fluid is reclaimed from a vehicle that has been scrapped due to damage that hasn't affected the system and sold quickly then I can't see the harm as the car it came from would still be using it had it not been written off. The procedure has to be clean so as not to contaminate it though.

As for reclaimed chipshop oil, I ran an 02 Astra for a few months on home brew biodiesel. Not the best you can buy as one 20 litre container I got had blobs of set fatty bits floating on top. The car ran well on the stuff though and returned a similar MPG to regular diesel but it was costing me 66% of the cost of diesel and when you go through 60 litres a week that's a considerable saving. Wouldn't want to use it in my 308 though.
Yes, written words are very hard to transmit with a meaning or inuendo.

Regarding Eolys, it is sold in a plastic bottle (and stored in one), so it should be safe to remove from the deposit and store. I assume that in degrades in contact with air, but if the garage is responsible, this should be minimal. Considering it's price, it makes sense to re-use as much as possible from a salvo.

Regarding chipshop oil, i though you're meaning a lub! Running a car on cooking oil is not the perfect solution (and the more delicate injectors and pumps become, the worse) but considering the times and diesel prices, it's not a bad solution after all (and we're recycling in a way :D)

Most products that are available to the public are considered "Harmful" by all sorts of organisations and possibly most household products are classified thus . Eolys is also hazardous -if you decide to drink it or immerse yourself in it but used with caution by any competent person they would come to no harm . The main elements of Eolys is Isostearate which is also used in cosmetics and Cerium Oxide which is used for polishing glass , all this then would be suspended in a product from the alcohol family. Yes it is inflammable (alcohol) , Yes it is harmful ( if ingested )
Eolys is not even regulated for transportation by land ,sea or air.
If you are competent there is no reason why you can't tackle the job yourself for a fraction of the mentioned dealer price , a 1 litre bottle can be purchased for around and should you need a fill kit for another but you would need to reset the ECU for it to work properly.
We shouldn't assume a liquid made from two different , and aparently safe , liquids is itself safe. Of course, drink it is probably retarded, like with coolant and anti-freeze. It's vapors are harmfull to eyes and lungs, it can and will dry the skin on contact (but not like caustic soda or similar)

The datasheet does state

Product must only be kept in the supplier's packaging.
But we should take this with a grain of salt. It's probably to prevent storing it a plastic water bottle.

The recomendations are:

- Recommended :
Stainless steel.
Teflon.
Hydrocarbon resistant materials.

- Not suitable : Rubbers.
Certain plastic materials.
Materials which are not resistant to hydrocarbons.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry completly didn't realise there was more replies on this. I bought some new fluid from ebay not reclaimed and I had a peugeot member (greegor who lives near me - and again thank you very much!) who helped me to fill up the tank and reset ECU. Very funny thing - the tank was a.ready 3/4 full so I am guessing was filled previously and never reset properly. Either that or worst case its not using it :s

Posting a new post with my latest issues as its beyond the scope of this thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts