Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
December 2015, I wanted to start driving again (decided a while ago that I didnt need a car) so I bought the cheapest thing I could find to not only drive, but fix up... a little project for me to get to learn more about cars.

I ended up buying a tatty 04 307 2.0 HDI that has done 274k miles!

last month the alternator went, I had to drive it to the scrap yard to pick up a new alternator and then to my garage (shoulda left it at the scrap yard i think) I have done around 2200 miles since december and in order to get it to the scrapyard and garage I had to bump it a few times.
Anyway, fitted the alternator and it squeeks a fair bit, but that isn't my biggest problem. My main problem is that 70% of the time when I am idling, the engine shuts off and when im driving it is stuttering and sometimes the engine shuts off.

I've been given a few ideas of what it could be:
1. diesel filter or particle filter full of crap from the bottom of the fuel tank from when i bumped the car... clean em, see if it works
2. solanoid on pump stuck on (no idea what that means or how to fix it)
3. one or both of the fuel pumps broken

I set about fixing this, I got some fuel cleaner from the garage and used that to see if it helped, it didnt. now I am trying to get the filter cap off the fuel filter to clean it out and it seems to be completely stuck on.

I dont want to waste money on this car if it is going to the scrap yard anyway so im not gonna go spent £70 on a new filter with housing just for me to take the car to the scrapyard.
There has to be a way to get this sorted and this is the best place i can find for answers.

bare in mind I know the car is never going to work properly, but i'd like it to last another 7 or 8 months until my insurance is due so I get a years no claims.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
December 2015, I wanted to start driving again (decided a while ago that I didnt need a car) so I bought the cheapest thing I could find to not only drive, but fix up... a little project for me to get to learn more about cars.

last month the alternator went, I had to drive it to the scrap yard to pick up a new alternator and then to my garage (shoulda left it at the scrap yard i think) I have done around 2200 miles since december and in order to get it to the scrapyard and garage I had to bump it a few times.
Anyway, fitted the alternator and it squeeks a fair bit, but that isn't my biggest problem. My main problem is that 70% of the time when I am idling, the engine shuts off and when im driving it is stuttering and sometimes the engine shuts off.

I've been given a few ideas of what it could be:
1. diesel filter or particle filter full of crap from the bottom of the fuel tank from when i bumped the car... clean em, see if it works
2. solanoid on pump stuck on (no idea what that means or how to fix it)
3. one or both of the fuel pumps broken

I set about fixing this, I got some fuel cleaner from the garage and used that to see if it helped, it didnt. now I am trying to get the filter cap off the fuel filter to clean it out and it seems to be completely stuck on.

I dont want to waste money on this car if it is going to the scrap yard anyway so im not gonna go spent £70 on a new filter with housing just for me to take the car to the scrapyard.
There has to be a way to get this sorted and this is the best place i can find for answers.

bare in mind I know the car is never going to work properly, but i'd like it to last another 7 or 8 months until my insurance is due so I get a years no claims.

Thanks in advance
you have not told us what engine as there is more than 1 2.0 hdi engine so what bhp is it

You need to get it on planet/diagbox to read the codes and have a look at live data have a good read here it explains how to contact a member http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/introductions-28/brief-faq-guide-new-members-83170/

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
theres a drain on the bottom of the filter you can let the water out. may help may not

with that mileage it will be tired. try disconnecting the maf sensor see how it runs

i would say do a good service but seems like you dont want to spend any money on it really

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no idea of the bhp, I bought it for £250 as a project car, i've spent 90 on it so far but i'd rather put extra money into buying a less screwed up car for my first project haha.

It's only going to be worth saving if I can actually get it to run. I'll happily spend money on it if I can figure out what is wrong with it, but throwing money at it in a hope that it's going to fix it isn't an option. i'm looking to learn how to fix things myself but without wasting money.

i have managed to get the diesel filter top off, going to replace the filter and see if it helps. If it doesn't ill work through my list above, next step is the particle filter and I have no clue haha.

Any other possible solutions are welcome.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
To be honest it's hardly surprising you have issues but you give the impression that you are surprised there are issues.

Don't bother cleaning the fuel filter unless it's a wire mesh unit. They are single use and don't cost that much to replace. It would aid you no end to get a proper diagnostic done which will point you in the right direction. Trying to sort it out by guessing what is wrong is a sure fire way to spend a lot of money for little or no result.

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/introductions-28/brief-faq-guide-new-members-83170/

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/general-discussion-2/how-contact-member-peugeot-planet-diagnostic-28190/

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/off-topic-3/need-20-posts-before-pm-72601/#post459593

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
when changing the fuel filter make sure you clean out the inside of the housing as well. normal kitchen towel nornally works.

it gets rid of all the water

1 - 6 of 6 Posts