Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(

We have a 307sw ('04) which last Sunday- without ANY warning- just cut out at 40mph. There was a large 'rush of air' sound from the car beforehand, and then complete loss of power. No oil pressure warning; no engine stop warning etc etc. Idling fine and running great before the event.

We stopped the car and called the AA immediately, who 30 minutes lates were out and checking things over. The engineer thought it was the oil pump, but said it should have been preceded with an oil pressure warning or something? We had no warnings. He towed the car (which would idle really badly from then) to a garage.

We got a call from the garage today and the mechanic said that although they "think" it's the oil pump, they also think the engine has some "severe damage" to it and would need to do further tests and then call us back.

Anyone have any ideas? This is bad for us- only limited funds and prospect of having to scrap the car if it's too expensive to repair. The AA engineer didn't think it was that bad and actually told us we did the right thing NOT running it after the event, so saving the engine from further damage. How is it that the idle when we called the AA out was just "juddering" and now the garage tell us it is making "horrible noises"????

By the way- this isn't a Peugeot garage. There isn't one near us any more :confused:

Any advice would be really appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
if you can see the car, turn it on and listen to where the noise is coming from. or ask them... if it coming from top, sounds like a timing belt deal...had this problem a while back.. there was a ticking sound from the top of the engine...went to several garages all thought it was the coil pack or sparks...took it to peugeot in middlesbrough and behold it was a faulty pully. this gave me problems like muscle car rocking at idleing, limp mode, random dying on me etc.

hope this help, could fine well be a different + unrelated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, the garage have just called to tell me that the "engine is shot". They think that the oil pump has not been pushing oil round the system for some time and this led to the final break at the weekend. The "terrible noise" they say is the engine damage. :mad:

I am made because we had NO warning from the Engine Management Unit that the oil pressure was low (or nonexistent). Surely it would have flagged that???

So now I am left with the possibility of a £1000 bill for a recon engine or £2500 for a new engine. This has not been a good day :(

Appreciate your help anyway!

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
no worries, yeah i would of thought the same as you until about a week ago when i was messing on with peugeot planet (dealer tool) and found that the oil pressure/temperature sensor was deactivated, think i will activate that now :O

that could have been the same on yours and hence no warning.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Ask them how many oil pumps they have changed in their time on a 307 , bet you the answer is none , peugeot Northern Ireland don`t even stock oil pumps because none have failed.The sensor should give a warning to a pump going and if the sensor was not working it would give a warning,
if your pump was failing the car would have run like a bag of spanners before it gave in so i`m not sure pump is the main cause.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
bettyswollocks said:
Ask them how many oil pumps they have changed in their time on a 307 , bet you the answer is none , peugeot Northern Ireland don`t even stock oil pumps because none have failed.The sensor should give a warning to a pump going and if the sensor was not working it would give a warning,
if your pump was failing the car would have run like a bag of spanners before it gave in so i`m not sure pump is the main cause.

ps - Just reread your post if the pump had been faulty you wouldn`t have got 30 mile in her , imagine all the metal parts in your car working without oil that would make one hell off a noise.
Did you say you ran it on idle when getting towed? , if the pump had gone at this stage the AA man should have advised you not to start the car at all if he thought it was the pump you might have got away with a oil pump £250 and say £100 fitting.

By the way i have disconnected my oil pressure sensor as i have a broken wire somewhere and was getting false readings but as i say if my pump starts to go i`ll here the engine noise increase because it will be metal hitting metal.

Don`t know if any off that helps but might give you ideas.:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bettyswollocks said:
ps - Just reread your post if the pump had been faulty you wouldn`t have got 30 mile in her , imagine all the metal parts in your car working without oil that would make one hell off a noise.
Did you say you ran it on idle when getting towed? , if the pump had gone at this stage the AA man should have advised you not to start the car at all if he thought it was the pump you might have got away with a oil pump £250 and say £100 fitting.

By the way i have disconnected my oil pressure sensor as i have a broken wire somewhere and was getting false readings but as i say if my pump starts to go i`ll here the engine noise increase because it will be metal hitting metal.

Don`t know if any off that helps but might give you ideas.:confused:
Thanks for that- really helpful!!

No- we ran it on idle for about 10 seconds so that the AA engineer could take a listen. We then towed it 'cold'. The idle on the car just 30 minutes before the event was perfect. Couldn't hear a thing. There was absolutely no warning- just a wooshing sound of air and then power loss. The garage have had it for days, never called us (we have had to call them), and just yesterday were shopping around for oil pumps. Today they changed their tune and stated merely that the car "sounded horrible". We called the AA engineer this afternoon and told him what had been said, and he thinks that they have run the car too long with a damaged pump, so inflicting the damage themselves. His words: "they are shafting you!"

We can't prove that though. So now are left effectively with no car. :(

Cheers for the advice though!

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts