Peugeot Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Sadly that is exactly what many dealers in the UK do, they will change everything in sight until the fault goes away, and the customer is expected to pay for all of it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
And then they wonder why people only hang around long enough at dealer service to cover their warranty period plus one extra, then go elsewhere!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
If they took the car back in for an 'ECU reset' the first time and saw fit to charge you for it, they have already taken responsibility to an extent. They should either take the car back in and make good on their original chargeable service or if they say that they now suspect it's something else, they should refund you for the last ECU reset since they charged for a service they had no justification for. If they say it's actually something else, get them to quote you for a fix then all them to refund you for the ECU reset before you decide to go any further. That way they can't just top up the new bill to cover the refund!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
So, Mrs took it there yesterday and they had the car over an hour. They soldered a wire is all I know for now (waiting for them to call me so I can find out exactly what they did, Mrs hasn't relayed well!) and so far after 3 journeys, the message has not reappeared. With any luck, I'll not have to endure any more pain and suffering lol. They did not charge again, so not sure if it's something they missed on the initial wiring fix.

I will update as to what it was, in the hope it helps any poor soul that suffers similar!

I'm still amazed that the wiring harness was damaged. I mentioned it to a mobile mechanic that I saw for my car (607) when he did my wheel bearing. He said oh yeah, that's common. Apparently animals can get under the bonnet and damage wiring. Never heard of it but who knows.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Sadly that is exactly what many dealers in the UK do, they will change everything in sight until the fault goes away, and the customer is expected to pay for all of it.
main dealer terrifies me! But now, with cars being so software based, they've got us!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
And then they wonder why people only hang around long enough at dealer service to cover their warranty period plus one extra, then go elsewhere!
exactly. I've never done so before, but when we ought the car we had used warranty for 18 mths, which has been very useful

·
Registered
311 Posts
Animals can get into cars and chew at things, it's not 'common' but it can and does happen from time to time. No way to know for sure if that's the case this time of course, could just as easily have been something someone screwed up when previous work was done, or simply a faulty bit of harness from the factory. On the plus side, they didn't charge you more and for now it seems to be resolved, so fingers crossed it stays that way and you can relax a little!

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
If a fault occurs immediately after some work was done on the car, 9 times out of 10 the two are linked.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Animals can get into cars and chew at things, it's not 'common' but it can and does happen from time to time. No way to know for sure if that's the case this time of course, could just as easily have been something someone screwed up when previous work was done, or simply a faulty bit of harness from the factory. On the plus side, they didn't charge you more and for now it seems to be resolved, so fingers crossed it stays that way and you can relax a little!
I feel it more likely down to work done last year. We had the air con compressor changed and I noticed one headlight hasnt been put back properly. They could have damaged the wiring perhaps, or even when changing the starter motor only few months back.
Latest is that Peugeot found another wire that needed tidying on the fan module. The warning light has not reappeared yet (please let it stay that way).

So, my gut feeling on the whole thing.
Battery was likely going and gave up. The economy mode was coming up after a minute or less when ignition was on.
RAC did the BSI reset which cocked up the alarm and was producing random faults to display
Garage changed starter motor and damaged wiring harness which eventually went and the car would not then start without a bump start,
Peugeot have done a BSI reload which fixed the alarm issue and then fixed wiring to fuse box which was preventing the car from starting, along with this fan module wiring which I have no idea how it became damaged.

Not sure what the moral of this story is, but I guess whatever it is, it's not French!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
The warning light has not reappeared yet (please let it stay that way).
Well I sincerely hope this is the end of the saga for you anyway! I suppose, ultimately, things like wiring damage during a poor quality repair and breakdown companies not knowing their jobs is liable to affect any car, regardless of brand.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts