Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, I have acquired a 307 2.0 Hdi which appears to have some teething issues as I was hoping some of the experienced forum users wouldnt mind giving me some advice so I can tackle doing the work it needs without duplicating jobs or wasting money due to a lack of knowledge

Luckily its a 2002 (51) 90 bhp model so no DMF so I am guessing it would be stupid to change the clutch on a car where I dont know its history and not change the clutch slave cylinder at the same time?

Also, its doing the juddery shuddery thing when idling and one of the 1000 or so possible causes for that is (I think) the rear (or is it lower) engine mount which apparently supports the gear box

So I am guessing it would make sense to change that too

So when changing the clutch would I be right in guessing its wise to

1. Change the slave cylinder
2. Change the rear engine mount (due to the juddering)

New gear box oil goes without saying but as both drive shafts will also be out would I be wasting money by changing the seals and bearings just for the sake of it or are these items that wear regularly anyway?

And is there anything else that I havent thought of that anybody would recommend considering seeing as the gearbox is being taken off anyway?

I cant afford to just randomly change things just for the heck of it but dont have a problem with changing things that make good economic sense and are common sense replacements whilst doing another job

The next thing I will be looking at is the cam belt as I have no idea when it was last changed and its on 110k miles atm. With that I would obviously get the cam belt kit rather than just the belt, but would it be worthwhile changing the water pump too when changing the timing belt

Apologies if most of there are "dumb" questions to the resident experts but thank you in advance for any advice offered

Mike

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Hi Mike,

the judder could be your gearbox mount or rear mount for the sake of £15 i would change the gearbox one while you have your gearbox off as for the slave cylinder is there a issue with it? if not then you dont need to change it :thumb: as for the seals if they are leaking now then its a good idea to change them if not dont worry i had shafts of a few times and never needed to replace them :thumb:

R

·
0 Posts
as for your cam belt yes do the water pump at the same time if not the new tension on the bearing from the new cam belt will bust it.might as well do it for the sake of £20..:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Theres no issue (as far as I know) with the slave cylinder, I'm just kind of green with knowing what is (like the water pump) or isnt worth changing when working in an area of the car

As the Haynes manual (dont laugh) too much) that I've ordered hasnt arrived yet I have to admit I hadnt even realised there was a rear engine mount AND a gearbox mount, from the threads about judder I'd seen I thought they were one and the same lol

So I'll have to look into that in more detail as the drive shaft goes through one of them so while I am having to take the gear box off its worth seeing which one is the likely culprit or whether both could be

I've since found a sticker on the plastic cover surrounding the expansion tank that reckons the cam belt was changed at 90k miles and I have to admit it does look quite new, but I'll get someone who knows what therye looking at to verify that seems likely and may see if I can find someone who does a full pre MOT inspection just to identify anything thats on its way out so I dont have too much to do all at once when the actual MOT runs out at the end of july

I have to admit right at the moment I'm kind of missing my 306 HDi estate lol, but hopefully the 307 will grow on me once I have the niggly things ironed out :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Tackling both side engine mounts tomorrow, can move my engine loads if I grab it, getting a knocking when changing gear and lots of judder... bought OS one from Pug ( £83 trade, ouch), gearbox one from Euro, OE spec (allegedly, £12)... will update to say how it goes and if it makes a difference! Strangely the rear mount is sound... Owning a 307 is like being in an abusive marriage! Every time things seem to be going ok, BAM, right in the balls!

·
11,791 Posts
There's a German Ebay shop which does the genuine OS one for £55.

Don't forget there's a bottom one, but I'd recommend replacing that with a POWERFLEX bush. There's a how-to on here somewhere.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did the job yesterday, took about an hour to do both sides and went very smoothly. The difference is immense, no more knocks or vibrations... Bottom mount seems sound, it was the first suspect so had it on my mates ramp to inspect. I'd recommend anyone tackle these jobs, just take care when supporting the engine and also be sure to put the bsi to sleep and wake it up properly :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
As the Haynes manual (dont laugh) too much) that I've ordered hasnt arrived yet I have to admit I hadnt even realised there was a rear engine mount AND a gearbox mount, from the threads about judder I'd seen I thought they were one and the same lol
No shame in owning a Haynes manual, had my life saved more than once by Haynes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts