Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im lew ive just turned 17 and i got this car given to me and im wondering what i could do to it and i need ideas. its a 1.8 diesel wich im not going to get insured on :( but anyway here are some pics my only mods are new headunit and door speakers.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums.

It may not be fast and sporty (yet), but you can make the best of what it is, and gain those valuable no-claims years.
You really should shop around for insurance, - and strip off all the unecessary stuff they add on. Opt to pay the maximum excess, and the lowest value they will let you have. - Watch out on this one though, there is a lower limit - but they won't want to tell you this. just alter the value it's insured for untill it starts to affect the premium - and stick to the minumum - it's unlikely you will write the car of completely.

I had a 1.1 beige fiesta ( yes I know :eek: ) for my first 3 years - and still managed to shove the foglight into the boot when I reversed on gravel - into a rock, so just consider your first car as a disposable learning machine.

Most important mods you could probably do is just plain maintenance - keep the strut tops oiled and stop the rot in the sills and around the back end with a waxoyl/ oil mix. Keep up with anything that falls off along the way - brakes, coolant, oilseals, and you should be able to sell it without loosing too much cash on it.

You could still put a decent sound system in it, and paint is cheap.

G

·
Agreed, treat your first car as a bit of a bumper car in a way (i mean into objects, not people and cars lol) That way you arent too fussed about the odd dent or scratch cropping up!

All i did was keep on top of mainaining its exterior + engine and fitted a decent sound system, i do still miss that 205 though! the sound of every panel rattling like mad when i turned up the stereo a tiny bit, happy days!! :(

Btw my first car was a 205 1.8 diesel as well, you can get insured but it costs top coin, think i used budget first year so give them a try!

get friendly with the local scrappy as well :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
WOW!! 1.8 and only 17...thats gotta sting a bit when it comes to insurance. do better to take some advice and not mod it till you ahve a few years no claims and possibly wait till after your 25 too lol

Nice to have had it given to you though cus pugs look yummy when modded :thumb:

G

·
Hi

You could look into doing one of the post-test driving certificates to help get the insurance down.

if you really are keen, you could do your Institure of Advanced Motorists test - that certainly gets your discount from most insurers.

The IAM test, including ALL instruction is less that £100 - best ton you will ever spend.

Ok, I'm an old foggy (not that old...certainly not as old as BettySwollocks..or Stubbo :D ), but my 307 insurance, fully comp, is £109.... with my IAM discount.

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts