Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Allure 1.2 manual for 6 months now and the S/S has worked almost seamlessly from day 1. The only times it hasn't come on I have realised is when I have had the fan on a fairly high setting. Just today at the traffic lights it failed to come on. I then turned the fan down to less than half and the S/S kicked in. Turning the fan higher again and the engine restarted. I assume the fan is a big drain on the battery?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have had my Allure 1.2 manual for 6 months now and the S/S has worked almost seamlessly from day 1. The only times it hasn't come on I have realised is when I have had the fan on a fairly high setting. Just today at the traffic lights it failed to come on. I then turned the fan down to less than half and the S/S kicked in. Turning the fan higher again and the engine restarted. I assume the fan is a big drain on the battery?
Indeed it can be, I find it best to leave on auto at all times. My complaint about stop start would be that in crawling traffic, it should require you to go above 5mph (as my Volvo did) before turning off again, give the battery a little chance at least to recharge. Otherwise quite impressed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If the climate control requires heat from the engine to heat the car, the car will automatically restart. I observed this on a very cold day and idle for a few minutes, the car restarted and stopped several times just to circulate the hot water in the heater matrix.

·
Administrator
2,878 Posts
The S/S has worked perfectly since I had it in June.

I am also a member on kiaownersclub.co.uk, (my wife has a Kia Venga), and the members are continually saying their S/S rarely works reliably across the whole range.

Kia have issues with that technology I think.

Paul

·
Registered
254 Posts
My S/S works pretty well in total, give a few moments to warm the engine and its fine.

The 208 on the other hand is a nightmare - never seems to work

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The only time it becomes too effective is when my wife puts the car in the garage! She has a habit of slowly slowly catch a monkey.........and you can guarantee the Stop/Start will kick in at least half a dozen times.
The times I have said “unclip your seatbelt first”.... Deaf ears and all.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I, on my turn, am not at all satisfied with the s/s feature. When in crawling traffic, s/s system is a mess, it stops the engine immediately, every meter. I also have problems when parking. My parking place, at home, is the last one in a row and near a fence and sidewalk. I have to maneuver a lot in order to park as I like (very close and parallel to the sidewalk, in order to leave enough space to the owner of the car on the other side to safely open its door and not touch mine). When driving in reverse there's no problem, but when driving forward, if I stop even for a second or two to take a look, then the s/s stops the engine.
There are other situations when the s/s system doesn't function as expected. For example, I use the A/C on auto all the time. I have seen situations when the difference between the inside and outside temperature is more then 10 degrees Celsius and the s/s system stops the engine after a 2 minutes drive, in the morning, with a cool engine. I have also seen situations when the inside and outside temperatures are almost the same and the engine doesn't stop.
So, imho, the s/s system is far from being useful for me, and the fact that it only can be disabled from the touch screen every new drive, makes it more undesirable.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts

The times I have said “unclip your seatbelt first”.... Deaf ears and all.
Maybe it's a joke i don't understand, but i have to ask. What you are saying is that removing the seatbelt prior to start the parking maneuvers would disengage the s/s system? Is this true or it is only a joke? English is not my native language, so don't laugh at me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think a lot of these issues are regarding the auto's. With a manual, the S/S system won't shut the engine down if the clutch pedal is depressed, so it's a simple way of controlling how and when the engine stops yourself, as we do in our Kia Carens and Ford Fiesta with which we have no issues with the S/S systems. I'm hoping for the same experience in our 3008 manual when we get it!
Peugeot should have fitted the car with a simple on/off switch on the dashboard so owners could park without the engine constantly shutting itself down and draining the battery unduly.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think a lot of these issues are regarding the auto's. With a manual, the S/S system won't shut the engine down if the clutch pedal is depressed, so it's a simple way of controlling how and when the engine stops yourself, as we do in our Kia Carens and Ford Fiesta with which we have no issues with the S/S systems. I'm hoping for the same experience in our 3008 manual when we get it!
Yes, you're probably right, mine is an automatic gear, and each time you press the break pedal, the s/s system stops the engine.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Maybe it's a joke i don't understand, but i have to ask. What you are saying is that removing the seatbelt prior to start the parking maneuvers would disengage the s/s system? Is this true or it is only a joke? English is not my native language, so don't laugh at me.

No problem with understanding you, you’re English is ?.

Yes, if you either unclip the seatbelt on a running engine or do not fasten when you start, the Stop/Start will not engage.
It is the only time we drive the car without a seatbelt on but it at least guarantees the engine won’t cut out during a manoeuvre. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thank you Beards, I hope you just solved one of my problems. I'll test it and let you know.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You could also open the driver's door or switch on the rear window defrosting. These should prevent S/S from kicking in.

·
Registered
92 Posts

No problem with understanding you, you’re English is ?.

Yes, if you either unclip the seatbelt on a running engine or do not fasten when you start, the Stop/Start will not engage.
It is the only time we drive the car without a seatbelt on but it at least guarantees the engine won’t cut out during a manoeuvre.
Just to follow up on what Beards says, you will find that if you come to a stop, eg to start your parking manouevre, and the stop start cuts in and stops the engine, if you unclip your seatbelt the engine will immediately restart and s/s is then disabled.

Its all to do with the concept of making sure you can never leave the car thinking the engine has been switched off when its just asleep in s/s mode. The car doesn't allow this to happen for safety reasons.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just to follow up on what Beards says, you will find that if you come to a stop, eg to start your parking manouevre, and the stop start cuts in and stops the engine, if you unclip your seatbelt the engine will immediately restart and s/s is then disabled.

Its all to do with the concept of making sure you can never leave the car thinking the engine has been switched off when its just asleep in s/s mode. The car doesn't allow this to happen for safety reasons.
Thank you for the explanation, this really makes sense.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I, on my turn, am not at all satisfied with the s/s feature. When in crawling traffic, s/s system is a mess, it stops the engine immediately, every meter. I also have problems when parking. My parking place, at home, is the last one in a row and near a fence and sidewalk. I have to maneuver a lot in order to park as I like (very close and parallel to the sidewalk, in order to leave enough space to the owner of the car on the other side to safely open its door and not touch mine). When driving in reverse there's no problem, but when driving forward, if I stop even for a second or two to take a look, then the s/s stops the engine.
There are other situations when the s/s system doesn't function as expected. For example, I use the A/C on auto all the time. I have seen situations when the difference between the inside and outside temperature is more then 10 degrees Celsius and the s/s system stops the engine after a 2 minutes drive, in the morning, with a cool engine. I have also seen situations when the inside and outside temperatures are almost the same and the engine doesn't stop.
So, imho, the s/s system is far from being useful for me, and the fact that it only can be disabled from the touch screen every new drive, makes it more undesirable.

Yes, I agree with you. It's very annoying the motor stops every time the foot went off the brake. That occurs frequently at roundabouts or road junctions. Its impressive see the motor goes on a fraction of second after goes off. I don’t think that is good for the motor and the battery. At parking it’s the same. I learnt unclip the seatbelt to disengage the S/S

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes, I agree with you. It's very annoying the motor stops every time the foot went off the brake. That occurs frequently at roundabouts or road junctions. Its impressive see the motor goes on a fraction of second after goes off. I don’t think that is good for the motor and the battery. At parking it’s the same. I learnt unclip the seatbelt to disengage the S/S
Just take a look at this clip:
https://youtu.be/k159M8QhCIE
about the s/s system.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Don't shoot me - I haven't got my car yet but according to the manual, there is a S/S button on the dashboard, not just in the touch screen. Apparently it's on the panel between the steering wheel and the drivers door. Or at least, it's supposed to be!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Don't shoot me - I haven't got my car yet but according to the manual, there is a S/S button on the dashboard, not just in the touch screen. Apparently it's on the panel between the steering wheel and the drivers door. Or at least, it's supposed to be!
Oh how I wish there was...but regretably there isn't.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Oh how I wish there was...but regretably there isn't.
Confirmed. The manual shows the button but it is not a feature of the actual vehicle which is a shame and I would turn it off in an instant.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts