Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Found myself a nice 307 1.6 HDi 90 S this week, 06 reg, 60k on the clock.
Paid £2100 for it, leaving me £1400 to do anything which needs doing.

Firstly, it needs a major service, owned by an older couple, it seems only to have ever had a basic oil and filter change every year.

2 issues I have currently, on cold start up engine 'judders' momentarily after starting, this proceeds to being a rattle on idling for about 20 minutes then disappears. Other issue in low gear (1st, 2nd- disappears on 3rd), have a low hum type of metal on metal noise.

It has had a boot seal leak at some point but having been through the car wash already, it's not leaking now.

So any ideas on the above would be appreciated, overall very pleased, don't mind spending money on it as I do think I paid a good price. As its a car I will keep til it either dies or can't be repaired, I'm not adverse to spending on it to keep it going

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It says Oil OK On start up and the dipstick level appears OK but I want to get the car into the garage for a major service, change the oil and filter etc. I don't know what grade of oil is actually in the car currently, so I will get it all changed so I know what's going round in my car!

D

·
0 Posts
After starting? Could be a bad heater plug. Get a diagnostic check done to prove.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello all again

Car has been ramped up, serviced and mechanic said the following need looking at in more detail (only booked in for service today, so booked in for another day)

MAF
Clutch (he didn't mention any flywheel issues but just wondering do I need this looked at as well?)
Heater Matrix (as there has been a leak in the footwell at some point)

His son does the diagnostics on Pugs ( they will hook it up to Planet on its next visit) but wasn't able to do it today, which is a bit of an annoyance but its my fault, I only booked a service!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to add, mechanic mentioned something about ensuring the recalls have been done?
I looked on VOSA and found the breaking recall R/2008/015, will be going out to check the VIN but would peugeot tell me if any recall work has been done or not done, if I took it to my local pug dealer?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh that's a plus then, I looked at clutch kits online and they're reasonably priced, so not overly concerned now....I was looking at the flywheel/clutch kit and almost had to go any lie down in a darkened room at the prices!

I know that I need to factor in the labour cost too but that's a huge weight not having to budget for a new flywheel!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would have the flywheel and clutch done to be safe with the kits. The other thing you may want to consider is the timing belt... maybe worth doing now while you have the extra cash

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I think that would be sensible, I know it's not 'technically' due but I think it is probably a worthwhile investment in the car.
I don't believe in just running my cars and not maintaining them, I do a lot of miles a year and I feel my car is an investment not just a commodity, if that makes sense

·
11,968 Posts
Definitely, and you'll recoup much of that money back when you come to sell it.

If two similar cars are for sale, and one's had the clutch and cambelt done then that will sell first, its the first questions everyone asks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Booked in for clutch, MAF and timing belt for pay day at the end of the month, says it'll take a day or so and cost estimate is between £400-£500 inclusive of parts, does that seem OK?

Seen the timing belts on eBay for minimum of £84.50 and the clutch kit seems to start around the £133 mark (on a quick glance) and MAF £33, I trust the guy but wondering if his office girl got the price wrong on the phone?! Don't particularly want to be hitting the credit card to cover a bigger bill than anticipated!

·
6,276 Posts
If the only did oil and filter change in the past good chance fuel filter has not been changed is on its last legs and not drained for water. which could account forsome of poor running.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many Thanks for that tip, just looked up the part and that's relatively cheap to sort out so will also get that done.

I really don't mind spending the money on the car, I still think I got a good buy. I don't intend to sell any time soon, but I want it running A1, tip top for me, I want the car to last as long as possible (I hate buying new cars), if that means spending on it, so be it

·
11,968 Posts
Booked in for clutch, MAF and timing belt for pay day at the end of the month, says it'll take a day or so and cost estimate is between £400-£500 inclusive of parts, does that seem OK?

Seen the timing belts on eBay for minimum of £84.50 and the clutch kit seems to start around the £133 mark (on a quick glance) and MAF £33, I trust the guy but wondering if his office girl got the price wrong on the phone?! Don't particularly want to be hitting the credit card to cover a bigger bill than anticipated!
An average price for clutch replacement (including parts) is around the £250-£300 mark.

Timing belt is around £150.

MAF is a ten minute job. A cheapo MAF will be around £30, a genuine Valeo or Pierburg will be around £80 if the Euro Car Parts discount is used, otherwise they retail for about £130.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts