Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the forum but thought I'd share my (long) story.
So here is the tale of my awful 208 Gti Prestige experience (so far)

I finally bought a 208 Gti four weeks ago privately (22k miles), loved the car for the first few days, super fun to drive!

Day 1 - I got the exhaust replaced with something sportier, this was just a mid-pipe and rear silencer removal still has full CAT. Sounds great.

Day 3 - Driving down an A road doing around 50mph at 3k rpm. The car locks up into limp mode - Ecu warnings, service light, esp light. I pull over and do the usual Peugeot thing and turn it off and on again. All clear par ECU fault which says Engine repair needed. (Hang in with me here). On restart the car doesn't go into limp mode, starts and runs fine par a strange 'juddering' so to speak at over 3k rpm, the rev limiter stays constant though. The juddering doesn't cause any ECU lights, just seems like a loss in power. (however, still accelerates perfectly when foot to the floor, juddering only happens when you are in 3/4/5/6 gear at between 3-4k rpm)

Day 4 - Took the car over to my friend's garage to plug their ECU reader in. Car is full of around 6/7 faults. Simple things like low oil etc which wasn't cleared from previous services, we clear the faults par the two that look serious and from the limp mode - the codes were:
  • P0610 Engine ECU Configuration. Writing of Homologation Reference Not Done
  • P160A Downloading/Configuration. Approval Number Not Entered
So he suggested not something he can do, this will need to be taken to Peugeot. Cool no worries, can't be that bad right?

Day 7 - Finally got in at Peugeot in Northampton. £128 to get ECU checked, okay cool, no worries long as it's sorted. They said no faults are on the ECU and the faults I've given doesn't exist/apply to this vehicle. Okay, Peugeot has better ECU readers than my friends Snapon ECU reader. So no help there. I take the car away to a second independent garage who also tells me these ARE the codes on the ECU.

Day 10 - My friend's garage suggest doing a reset of the ECU by unplugging the battery for five mins. This has worked on Peugeots I've owned before. However, no difference once reset and now car won't lock because it instantly sets the alarm off, fantastic.

Day 14 - Problem seems to be getting worse, so I've rebooked in at Peugeot Northampton. They this time say 'oh there is a fault code stored and it's to do with the low-pressure fuel pump'. I know this is a common problem with Gti's. So okay cool, sounds like this is the problem, replacement £560 including £140 to get the BSI reconfigured for the alarm. Ouch.

Day 16 - Pump replaced. No difference in the juddering problem. Took it back the same day, two technicians took it out for a test drive, they said 'it's the sound the exhaust makes that makes it sound like that' - (I can assure you it's not, never did it before the limp mode incident) - with my intelligence insulted I decide this car is more hassle than it's worth and decide I'm going to part exchange it once I find something else I like.

Day 17 - First real drive since work done, heading to the Petrol station. It's around a 14-mile trip there and back. I can smell fuel on the trip there but assumed it was lingering from the tank being opened at the garage. After filling up, around 3-miles in, the car STINKS of fuel, not joking. Windows down and the car smells like a petrol station. I pull up to my house and leave it for a half-hour to cool off. Look under the car, a HUGE pool of petrol leaking from the back of the engine. The car doesn't leak anymore after it has cooled down.

Day 18 - Towed car to Peugeot concerned about the risk of fire being so close to the CAT.

Day 20 - Peugeot said no leaks at all, par a tiny one on the fuel tank. The leak is from the engine and not from the fuel tank but okay. They kept it running to get up to temperature and no leaks or smell. There was no leaks or smell before Peugeot had the car in to do fuel pump. Peugeot has said they have ordered a new seal for the top end of the tank and that will be in tomorrow morning first thing. Am I being taken for a ride here? I've never had this amount of problems with one car before.

Day 21 - Had to call them at 2 pm as I had heard nothing. They said part isn't due in until later so I said I want the car back by the end of today as I've had enough. I can take it to my friend's garage and will find the problem there. Put a complaint into the head office. The general manager called me within 20 minutes. To be fair, fantastic guy. Finally offered me a courtesy car. He said he won't let it leave the workshop until the fuel leak has been found due to danger. He would check himself (I can only assume that's because I've complained about it in writing and if it blows up they are liable). The customer service people there did not seem happy. They said they would call me tomorrow regarding trying to find the fault.

Day 22 - Had a call from Peugeot to say the new seal for the fuel tank still won't seal so they've ordered another one which will be here tomorrow.

Day 23 - Peugeot have said the third seal won't sit right, upon further investigation the tank is warped. Strangely enough, it was the manager that called me. He was adamant that it wasn't the technician's fault who installed the fuel pump, I hadn't implied that at all. However, the fuel tank will be free of charge. Strange. Tank won't be here until Tuesday of next week. The car has now spent more time in the garage than on my drive. Nice.

Will update once I know more.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
You mentioned Peugeot in Northampton - Is that Bristol Street Motors?

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
I have a feeling I will be as well after this :') . How did you get banned if you don't mind me asking?
I got Peugeot customer service involved as after 4 visits for the same braking fault on my old 206 it still wasn't fixed.

Vehicle at Peugeot UK insistence ended up being sent to another Peugeot main dealer & a written report was sent to Peugeot UK.

FWIW - The second Peugeot main dealer managed to diagnose & repair the fault, it never reoccurred in the following 12 years I had the vehicle.

Next time I went in to the original Peugeot main dealer the service manager wasn't very happy to see me & told me the reasons why :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got Peugeot customer service involved as after 4 visits for the same braking fault on my old 206 it still wasn't fixed.

Vehicle at Peugeot UK insistence ended up being sent to another Peugeot main dealer & a written report was sent to Peugeot UK.

FWIW - The second Peugeot main dealer managed to diagnose & repair the fault, it never reoccurred in the following 12 years I had the vehicle.

Next time I went in to the original Peugeot main dealer the service manager wasn't very happy to see me & told me the reasons why :ROFLMAO:
haha! I can only assume I'll get the same treatment once I (eventually) get my car back. I thought I'd receive a better service going to a named dealer but wish I had just left it now. I started with one problem and now have three! I won't be using them again.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I had similar issues when they replaced the low pressure fuel pump of my 308 GT 200. It took them 4 tries to seal it properly and in the meantime my cabin was stinking of fuel. Their excuse was that they were sent the wrong parts despite my VIN calling for the part numbers they fitted.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
FWIW - The Peugeot main dealer over in Wellingborough is worth the extra driving distance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had similar issues when they replaced the low pressure fuel pump of my 308 GT 200. It took them 4 tries to seal it properly and in the meantime my cabin was stinking of fuel. Their excuse was that they were sent the wrong parts despite my VIN calling for the part numbers they fitted.
Really stupid. I'm pretty sure they just damage it taking the first seal off then hope it hasn't damaged the tank, if it does oh well another charge they can get you for.
FWIW - The Peugeot main dealer over in Wellingborough is worth the extra driving distance.
Thanks mate, Wellingborough isn't too far from me. I'll give them a shout if the problem isn't sorted.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
York Ward & Rowlatt Wellingborough - Its the Vauxhall & Peugeot main agent now incorporating Broad Green Peugeot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

New to the forum but thought I'd share my (long) story.
So here is the tale of my awful 208 Gti Prestige experience (so far)

I finally bought a 208 Gti four weeks ago privately (22k miles), loved the car for the first few days, super fun to drive!

Day 1 - I got the exhaust replaced with something sportier, this was just a mid-pipe and rear silencer removal still has full CAT. Sounds great.

Day 3 - Driving down an A road doing around 50mph at 3k rpm. The car locks up into limp mode - Ecu warnings, service light, esp light. I pull over and do the usual Peugeot thing and turn it off and on again. All clear par ECU fault which says Engine repair needed. (Hang in with me here). On restart the car doesn't go into limp mode, starts and runs fine par a strange 'juddering' so to speak at over 3k rpm, the rev limiter stays constant though. The juddering doesn't cause any ECU lights, just seems like a loss in power. (however, still accelerates perfectly when foot to the floor, juddering only happens when you are in 3/4/5/6 gear at between 3-4k rpm)

Day 4 - Took the car over to my friend's garage to plug their ECU reader in. Car is full of around 6/7 faults. Simple things like low oil etc which wasn't cleared from previous services, we clear the faults par the two that look serious and from the limp mode - the codes were:
  • P0610 Engine ECU Configuration. Writing of Homologation Reference Not Done
  • P160A Downloading/Configuration. Approval Number Not Entered
So he suggested not something he can do, this will need to be taken to Peugeot. Cool no worries, can't be that bad right?

Day 7 - Finally got in at Peugeot in Northampton. £128 to get ECU checked, okay cool, no worries long as it's sorted. They said no faults are on the ECU and the faults I've given doesn't exist/apply to this vehicle. Okay, Peugeot has better ECU readers than my friends Snapon ECU reader. So no help there. I take the car away to a second independent garage who also tells me these ARE the codes on the ECU.

Day 10 - My friend's garage suggest doing a reset of the ECU by unplugging the battery for five mins. This has worked on Peugeots I've owned before. However, no difference once reset and now car won't lock because it instantly sets the alarm off, fantastic.

Day 14 - Problem seems to be getting worse, so I've rebooked in at Peugeot Northampton. They this time say 'oh there is a fault code stored and it's to do with the low-pressure fuel pump'. I know this is a common problem with Gti's. So okay cool, sounds like this is the problem, replacement £560 including £140 to get the BSI reconfigured for the alarm. Ouch.

Day 16 - Pump replaced. No difference in the juddering problem. Took it back the same day, two technicians took it out for a test drive, they said 'it's the sound the exhaust makes that makes it sound like that' - (I can assure you it's not, never did it before the limp mode incident) - with my intelligence insulted I decide this car is more hassle than it's worth and decide I'm going to part exchange it once I find something else I like.

Day 17 - First real drive since work done, heading to the Petrol station. It's around a 14-mile trip there and back. I can smell fuel on the trip there but assumed it was lingering from the tank being opened at the garage. After filling up, around 3-miles in, the car STINKS of fuel, not joking. Windows down and the car smells like a petrol station. I pull up to my house and leave it for a half-hour to cool off. Look under the car, a HUGE pool of petrol leaking from the back of the engine. The car doesn't leak anymore after it has cooled down.

Day 18 - Towed car to Peugeot concerned about the risk of fire being so close to the CAT.

Day 20 - Peugeot said no leaks at all, par a tiny one on the fuel tank. The leak is from the engine and not from the fuel tank but okay. They kept it running to get up to temperature and no leaks or smell. There was no leaks or smell before Peugeot had the car in to do fuel pump. Peugeot has said they have ordered a new seal for the top end of the tank and that will be in tomorrow morning first thing. Am I being taken for a ride here? I've never had this amount of problems with one car before.

Day 21 - Had to call them at 2 pm as I had heard nothing. They said part isn't due in until later so I said I want the car back by the end of today as I've had enough. I can take it to my friend's garage and will find the problem there. Put a complaint into the head office. The general manager called me within 20 minutes. To be fair, fantastic guy. Finally offered me a courtesy car. He said he won't let it leave the workshop until the fuel leak has been found due to danger. He would check himself (I can only assume that's because I've complained about it in writing and if it blows up they are liable). The customer service people there did not seem happy. They said they would call me tomorrow regarding trying to find the fault.

Day 22 - Had a call from Peugeot to say the new seal for the fuel tank still won't seal so they've ordered another one which will be here tomorrow.

Day 23 - Peugeot have said the third seal won't sit right, upon further investigation the tank is warped. Strangely enough, it was the manager that called me. He was adamant that it wasn't the technician's fault who installed the fuel pump, I hadn't implied that at all. However, the fuel tank will be free of charge. Strange. Tank won't be here until Tuesday of next week. The car has now spent more time in the garage than on my drive. Nice.

Will update once I know more.

Would be nice to see how this plays out as I have seen fuel tank problems before on the 208 GTi (to the extreme of it being a waterfall affair when you fill up). They can be badly fitted/replaced and chasing seals is not worth it in my opinion, it can be best to just get another tank that is not distorted and fit that replacing everything as you go but only when you know it is that, no point pulling at straws.
Sometimes its worth forgetting about dealership as you can round and around in circles with some of them whilst £1000's of pounds are spent and not really making it to the heart of the problem. You talk of selkling of fuel but this is possible when filling up sometimes as we stand in petrol and diesel everytime we fill up, once that is trodden into the carpets n mats and as we continue to drive the car its going to stink. Your issue does sound like High pressure fuel pump (fuel is corrosive and over a period of time the pumps break down, this is prevelant if using high rpm often whihc basically fry's the pump if taking it to 6300rpm all the time. It could also be spark plugs, I did an article recently explaining the differences between the hotter OE NGK heat range 7 spark plug compared to the colder range 8. If one of those plug tips decides its had enough then it surely ends up in the cylinders which will foul the valves in the blink of an eye.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts