Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forum, and indeed new to Peugeots! Up until now I've been an Italian car guy but fiat/Alfa had nothing big with a small engine, so I went French! I'm loving my 407, it's a 1.6 HDI ST Comfort with all the Bells and whistles! However it has what sounds like a fan belt noise which I assume is no biggy and I'll get it sorted. But if I apply a bit more revs than usual when pulling away the car will make an odd noise when I bring up the clutch. The clutch feels good nothing out of the ordinary- should I be worried about the noise??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crumbs!! The garage i bought it from gave me a 3 month engine/clutch warranty, would you reckon this would fall inside that warranty?

·
12,075 Posts
I'd check first. Clutches often come down as wear and tear because of use. Their warranty cover might be only for a failure due to a part breaking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ah yes the ol "wear & tear" fine print!!

Just on the noise. just went out to the car started it up etc.... on start-up there is a short squeaking sound & its the same on shutting off the engine, is there any chance it could be anything other than the DMF?? The clutch feels fine, no vibration, it shifts into gears easily also.....(ok I'm hoping it's not DMF!!)

·
12,075 Posts
Is the noise then when you start it and:

The car is in neutral and pedal is untouched

The car is in neutral and the pedal is pressed down

?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its when i start the car & the clutch is fully pressed to the floor, its a force of habit that everytime i start a car i press the clutch fully to the floor - it was something i read in a handbook once & have always followed it. (sorry the car is also in neutral)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
here's an odd question, how does a garage go about confirming if the DMF is the issue?? Is there an inspection hole (for want of a better term) or do they have to dismantle half the car???

C

·
0 Posts
here's an odd question, how does a garage go about confirming if the DMF is the issue?? Is there an inspection hole (for want of a better term) or do they have to dismantle half the car???
When I took my last Mondeo Tdci to have the DMF looked at the Mechanic Put her into 3rd gear and raised the clutch to the point of stalling he determined it was not the DMF as the peddle did not bang against his foot!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ah ok cool! Sorry just another point, i got out of the car today, opened the bonnet & listened to the engine, whilst the car was sitting at idle the squeaking noise was still there - would that point to an issue other than DMF? From the service history, the timing belt was done approx 40k km ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, I'm holding out for anything other than the DMF!! I'll give it a few revs tomorrow and see what happens!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Crankshaft pulley? They make an awful racket as they start to fail. Check by removing the aux belt and see if any better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts