Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So a couple days ago this problem started when going home from my job, suddenly the driving experience feels terrible and I'm even scared to drive it now, as the car feels really spongy and loose no matter at what speeds I'm driving (well you can only feel it after 20 mph), and especially when I'm driving on uneven road like with small bumps(not speed bumps) and also on the speed bumps the car tends to pull from side to side and not to one side only. Also the steering wheel feels kinda soft and loose and it tends to turn out of my grip when when the car hits some bumps, and even on motorway it kinda feels like the car is all over the place. So this is the problem I'm worried about.

I had the track rod ends, track rods, lower wishbone ball-joint, anti - roll bar links, rear axle bushes changed, also put new brake discs and pads on the front just over a month ago. Cannot be the rear end that's faulty, it feels solid but the front is the one causing the problem. Checked every suspension mounts, all the ones changed are still as good as new (weren't the cheap parts), wishbone bushes are good as they were changed a while before I bought the car, anti - roll bar bushes are fine, the only thing that's left is the steering rack itself, cause when the car is at rest with the engine off and when I turn it from side to side I can hear a quite loud knocking noise where the rack is, it has been running with the power steering fluid below the minimum level for a while which I didn't notice as the steering didn't make any noises and worked fine, but now it feels too loose.

Any suggestions of what the actual fault could be? Hope I explained my problem in enough detail.

·
Registered
207 Posts
did it start suddenly or has it gradually got worse?
have you done the tracking recently? i think i get what you mean with the explanation...... is it like the car really pulls towards the uneven side of the road? have the wheels balanced and have the tracking done, also tyre pressure and check the condition of the tyres. mine did something similar but i only noticed in like motorway driving, when the wind was stronger i felt like it was just gonna go with the wind.

i might be completely off but its worth a shot and a fairly cheap thing to do, that only needs doing anyway.

G

·
0 Posts
Pop into a decent tyre shop and ask if they can check the bolts on the front subframe and also the steering rack, peace of mind for minimal outlay.

My 406 is a bit the same, although I haven't investigated it, I've put it down to having shit tyres....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it started suddenly, couple days ago when going back from work. It doesn't pull to the uneven side but it swerves from side to side when I hit some bumps or uneven road and I can feel it on my steering wheel a lot, and even on smooth and even road surface it sometimes tends to loose traction, didn't happen before. Couldn't be the tyres as they were changed about a month ago before my MOT so they're basically brand new, no uneven wear as they were balanced and wheel alignment done same time after changing all the parts I listed before.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Possibly weakening front springs or one has a crack in it or broken which may be causing the noise. This can happen and depends how old the vehicle is.

Also check the front struts for signs of oil leakage again maybe getting weak.

With regards to the tyres if you have budget ones put on this will effect the handling and positive grip out on the road.

Due to new EU rules most new tyres have to meet noise reduction levels and manufactures use a softer rubber which compensates the handling characteristics of the Peugeot range.

Lastly if you don't have the original wheel spec on the motor and someone has put bigger alloys on the car this will make the vehicle skip across the road due to the ruts caused by HGV vehicles especially on the poor maintained motorways.

Hope this has given you an idea. Kind regards Adam. :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The springs may seem to be fine as took them out, top mounts are in good condition, although the springs have some rust on the top side but no cracks or broken coils. I have factory 16'' alloys and the recommended tyre size and tyres themselves were not too cheap but not the branded one either. Struts are fine, no leaks on them, all gaiters are in good condition. Forgot to mention that tyre pressures were too low but adjusted them to specifications written on the car for the tyre size I have, but no change in the way the car handles. But I can't seem to understand how it started so suddenly, as I was driving the car with ease since my last repair session, so it might be only couple components causing this. And I want to see if anyone have had the same issues and how they dealt with them.

Cheers, Andris.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The one thing I usually do after any repairs like you have done is that I re check the tightness of all bolts and nuts that have been removed even though the maybe done to their correct torque settings after approx. 100 miles then again after 500 miles just in case some mountings etc work loose. You never know due to the uneven road surfaces we have to put up with.

I know you changed the ball joint on the lower arms but it is possible the two bushes in the wishbones maybe worn or weak and generally most owners change the whole lot. Again were these in good order as replacing other parts on the suspension system can reveal other problems.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Jack the car up and try moving the tyres side to side. that should show up any play.
It's entirely possible that one the new components is faulty, or something wasn't tightened properly when the work was done.
It sounds like the steering rack itself is the problem, could be a mounting has failed, or something internal.
Whatever it is get it diagnosed asap, it seems to me your car is dangerous to drive right now.

Roger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually haven't done anything to the bolts since yesterday when I completely stripped the front suspension and did all checks on bushes and balljoints and couldn't find any of them faulty, shocks are fine, springs might be a bit weakened as they're probably still the factory ones, but the car is not bouncing on bumps, it feels solid that way, although I had to drive on a really bad, bouncy and really grooved country side road for approx 300 miles in 3 days, and it actually hasn't been long ago since the problem started, and whilst driving some bumps and grooves made the steering wheel to get knocked out my grip nearly crashing my car, wasn't even driving too fast as it was not possible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did this check as well, no free play, as I started to move the wheel just a little bit the steering wheel moved too, but the thing that worries me is the knocking sound coming from the engine bay roughly from where the steering rack is, but when I moved the wheels against the top and bottom, I could see a slight movement this way, but the again the shocks and springs responded so it might be a natural movement of the suspension so I'm actually left with no clue of what the heck is wrong with it. So probably gonna jack the car up again and double check, if that doesn't work out then I'm off with replacing the rack. Can't really afford new one at the moment but then again buying a used one is 50/50 chance of it being in good condition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also guys thanks for your replies as this helps a lot if someone knows anything about what the fault could be.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Did this start after you checked tyre pressure? Ive seen some very poorly calibrated gauges before which can result in the user under/over inflating.

Over inflated tyres would make the car very skittish.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Have a look for someone with pp2000 around u, it might shed some light in there. I would definitely encourage u not to drive the car though. It sounds very dangerous, u never know when a twit is gonna cut u off or whatever.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts