Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well now she has been PX'd i thought i would share a few experiences with you lot.
As soon as i brought the car i noticed it squeeking on shut down and at idle. A little bit of investigation and turned out the cause was the Dual Mass Flywheel:rolleyes:
Managed to get a valeo SMF replacement off of ebay and had it fitted by a local garage for £100 cash;)
The DMF was knackered and the car had only done 47000 miles at the time. Play was evident in all the rivets holding the thing together.
The SMF was superb although a little bit heavier under foot when depressing the peddle. NO SQUEEKING AND NO MORE DMF WORRIES so was the best £400 i spent on the car.
The electrics proved to be fairly reliable and i only had one real problem which was when the boot would not open. Corrosion of the connector was the cause. I went around the entire car with a tube of silicone electrical grease and coated every connector that i could see-paying particular attention to the holes in the connectors where the wiring entered them-NO MORE FAULTS:D , time take was 1.5 hours so an easy job.
Electric window regulator failed on the drivers side due to a snapped cable so replaced it easily enough. The rivets Peugeot use to hold it on are huge and beyond the capabilities of som pop rivet pliers so some washers and slightly smaller rivets were used. Easy job, time taken 1-2 hours max. I could not get to the top rivet with the pliers so used a self tapping screw instead.
I will add to this as and when i get time as some info may be useful for someone?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
During the last weeks of ownership i had the unblock diesel filter message.
Took the cat/fap off and split the 2 sections. Using this article as a general guide (http://wbsatwestmount.blogspot.com/2007/09/diy-fix-blocked-particulate-filter.html) i decided to simply jet wash the fap section only and the ammount of crud removed was pretty impressive.
Peugeot planet kept flagging the additive system also, and so a little investigation pointed me towards a duff sensor on the filler neck.
Checked it out with a multimeter and resistance value did not change with filler cap on or off (the additive ECU obviously thought i never filled the tank and so no EOLYS fluid was injected in to the fuel tank)
£30 for a sensor and an hour of my time was all that was needed to fix it.
Once back together i did a forced regen just to ensure the FAP was clean and the car drove like new after that- not to mention nearly 50 mpg from an 02 plate 110 2.0 HDI !!:D

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stevoxsi said:
Forced regen? How do you do that?
The option was in planet-don't remember the exact location in the menu's but i seem to remember it asking me to confirm i had made the right choice of car (as ECU was referenced due to not being recognised).
The regen took around 10-15 mins and was pretty hairy as the car will hold at 3k or 4k rpm odd and then ramp up all by itself:eek: i wish i had made a note now of how i got to the option!

got a 110 207 hdi now by the way!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Common Faults and Operations

There are two common situations which occur with the Particle Filter. Both will cause the Particle Filter Warning Lamp to come on or flash indicating that
there is a fault with the system.

Whenever the Warning Lamp comes on or starts flashing It is advisable to enter the Additive ECU diagnostic with the Scan Tool and use the Read DTCs function to find out why the light is on. It is also advisable to enter the appropriate Engine ECU diagnostic with the Scan Tool and perform a Read DTCs operation. DTCs are usually stored on both the Additive ECU and the Engine ECU when there is a fault with the filter. The descriptions of the DTCs should match.

1. ‘Minimum Level’ DTC: If the DTC displayed is a ‘Minimum Level’ DTC this
indicates that the reservoir must be re-filled or topped up. In this case the Additive Reset function should be used (see below).

2. ‘Filter Clogged’ or ‘Filter Blocked’ DTC: If the DTC displayed is a ‘Filter Clogged’ or ‘Filter Blocked’ DTC this indicates that the filter itself has either reached the end of its life or is dirty and has not been regenerated recently. In this case the technician should perform the Regeneration function using the Engine ECU diagnostics on the Scan Tool (see below). If the Regeneration function is not successful, or the DTC is still present after a Regeneration, the filter must be replaced (using the Additive Reset function below).

3. In the situation where both ‘Minimum Level’ and ‘Filter Blocked or Clogged’ DTCs are present both the filter and the Additive should be replaced. The Additive Reset function should then be carried out (see below).
Regeneration Regeneration is managed by the EMS system. Entry to this function must therefore be done by selecting EMS and the appropriate system. The function of Regeneration is to burn particles which have been caught in the filter in order to clean it. This is achieved by raising the temperature inside the filter to around 450°C. An additive is used to reduce the natural combustion temperature of the particles to around 450°C. Under normal driving conditions regeneration takes place automatically, every 400 to
500 km (250 to 300 miles). However, some driving conditions, such as urban driving, are unfavourable to automatic regeneration. In these cases it is necessary to force a Regeneration using this function.

The following is recommended practice for forced Regeneration:

1. The exhaust and its direct environment MUST be clean.
2. Exhaust gas extraction devices must NOT be connected to the exhaust pipe.
3. No-one should go near the exhaust pipe during Regeneration.
4. The engine must be running and the engine coolant temperature must be above 70°C for a successful regeneration to take place.
5. The fuel tank must be at least ¼ full.

The Scan tool will guide the technician through the process.
The technician should perform a Clear DTCs function followed by a Read DTCs
function after a Regeneration to check the validity of the process. In some cases the filter may have been damaged prior to Regeneration. A ‘Filter Blocked’ or ‘Filter Clogged’ DTC being present after a Regeneration indicates that the filter has reached the end of its life and must be replaced (use the Additive Reset function below for this operation).

NOTE: When the technician is asked to start the engine the Scan tool may reset depending on the state of vehicle's battery. If this occurs the engine should be kept running and the technician should re-start the Scan tool and re-select the 'Regeneration' option.

Additive Reset

Entry to the Reset function is done via the Additive ECU option. This function is used whenever the amount of additive in the reservoir falls below the
pre-determined minimum level. It can also be used when the Particle Filter itself is changed (this usually coincides with the re-fill of the reservoir). If the filter does need to be changed it should be done prior to carrying out this function and, if applicable, prior to carrying out an additive change. There are two types of additive used in these systems, DPX42 is the original additive
used. A full tank of DPX42 will last for 50,000 miles. EOLYS176 is a newer additive. A full tank of EOLYS176 will last for approximately 75,000 miles.

When the additive has reached the minimum level the Particle Filter Warning Lamp will start to flash on the dashboard of the vehicle informing the driver that the additive must be topped up. A fault code (DTC) is also stored on both the Engine ECU and the Additive ECU. This function is designed to be used AFTER the technician has topped up the additive reservoir. Additive can be purchased from the manufacturer’s parts department. This function resets the 'Quantity of Additive' value stored in the Additive CM to zero. The technician must then follow the instructions to enable the CM to re-learn the
value:

WARNING: The additive is harmful and should not come into contact with the technician’s skin.

NOTE: The additive is now sold as a kit which includes a device to insert the additive into the reservoir. Some kits contain the additive in a plastic bag which can be placed directly into the reservoir.

4. This function resets the ‘Quantity of Additive’ value stored in the Additive ECU to zero. The technician must then follow the instructions to enable the ECU to re-learn the value:

1. Turn the ignition OFF.
2. Remove the diesel fuel tank cap.
3. Wait for 10 seconds.
4. Replace the diesel fuel tank cap.
5. Switch the engine ON and idle for at least 1 minute.
6. Switch the engine OFF (ignition position 0) and wait for at least 4 minutes.
NOTE: During this time the vehicle must not be tampered with in any way. Do not activate the remote control or those of any other vehicles in the vicinity.
7. Switch the ignition ON (position II) and perform Clear & Read DTCs on the
Additive ECU.
8. Exit the Additive ECU menu and enter the correct EMS system fitted to the
vehicle. Perform a Clear & Read DTCs on the Engine ECU.

NOTE: When the technician is asked to start the engine the Scan tool may reset depending on the state of vehicle's battery. If this occurs the engine should be kept running and the technician should re-start the Scan tool and re-select the 'Additive Reset' option.

Additive Type

There are two different types of Additive used:
• DPX42
• EOLYS176 (DPX10)

Both have different properties, DPX42 is the original additive used by PSA. A full tank of DPX42 lasts 50,000 miles. EOLYS176 (DPX10) is an improved additive which will last for 75,000 miles.

IMPORTANT: A vehicle which uses DPX42 can not be upgraded to EOLYS176 (DPX10) and vice versa. This function is used when a new Additive ECU is installed in a vehicle. The new ECU is programmed with the additive type that the vehicle uses. There are two ways to visually determine the type of Additive used. This depends on the model.

For Peugeot 406, Peugeot 607, Peugeot 807, Citroen C5 and Citroen C8:
Check the colour of the Additive reservoir cap.

• For EOLYS176 (DPX10) the colour will be Black with a green ring.
• For DPX42 the colour will be Black with a white ring.
Citroen and Peugeot

5. For Peugeot 307 and Peugeot 206:

Check the colour of the click-on connectors on the Additive reservoir and Particle filter.

• For EOLYS176 (DPX10) the colour will be Black with a green ring.
• For DPX42 the colour will be Black with a white ring.

IMPORTANT:

• Use these two additives exclusively. The use of any other additive will cause the system to malfunction.
• Always use new, clean additive. There is a risk of the additive injector seizing if dirty or old additive is used.
• Never mix the two additives.
• It is impossible to differentiate visually between the two additives, as their
appearance is identical.
WARNING: The additive is harmful and should not come into contact with the technician’s skin.

Control Unit Replacement

This function refers to the Additive ECU, and must be accessed via the Additive ECU option. When a new Additive ECU is installed in a vehicle it must be programmed with the current quantity of additive in the reservoir. Before using this function ensure that:

1. You know the ‘quantity of additive’ present in the reservoir. You can do this by reading the value from the old Additive ECU while it is still installed (using Live Data ‘Quantity Of Additive’ reading). If you have already removed the old ECU you can obtain the value by selecting the correct EMS system fitted to the vehicle and reading the value from Live Data.
2. The new Additive ECU has been installed. The technician will be asked to input the ‘Quantity Of Additive’ value which will then
be written to the new ECU.

Inter-changeability

As stated previously it is not possible to upgrade a vehicle which uses additive type DPX42 to EOLYS176 (DPX10). It is possible however to install an additive ECU with Additive Type mapping DPX42 or EOLYS176 (DPX10) in order to replace an ECU with mapping DPX42 is possible on condition that the following operations are carried out:

1. Follow the process for ‘Control Unit Replacement’ above.
2. Use the ‘Additive Type’ menu option to set the additive type to DPX42. When installing an additive ECU with Additive Type mapping EOLYS176 (DPX10) in order to replace an ECU with mapping EOLYS176 (DPX10) the following operations must be carried out:

1. Follow the process for ‘Control Unit Replacement’ above.
2. Use the ‘Additive Type’ menu option to set the additive type to EOLYS176. Use the ‘Additive Type’ menu option to set the additive type to EOLYS176.

And if you understood all that you should be working for Peugeot :lol:

·
Registered
176 Posts
The Front springs on the car failed €312 total cost

Engine is going nuts and will NOT regenerate even when using the scan tool.

Saturday I'm removing the filter for the second time to give it a power wash.

Problems with this rubish car to date.

Turbo leaking exaust fumes.
Fuel line sucking in air.
Particle filter blocked (first time and power washed)
No indication that the additive tank was empty (should this appear on the dash somewhere?) (additive refilled)
Differential pressure sensor for the particle filter replaced.
Cam shaft sensor Replaced
Hydraulic stearing leak repaired
Hydraulic break leak repaired
Front suspension springs snaped (I drive carefully, not a boy racer)
Fuel injector leak
Fuel Fill Cap sensor replaced
Glow plug error (still there)
Particle Filter will not regenerate.

Having solved 1 set of error codes/problems (replacing sensors, etc)there are an entirely new group waiting for me

I'm probably forgetting a few things but my advice is never buy a French or Italian car it's throwing good money down the drain.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Follow up.

Garage attempted to run a forced regeneration, it (the car) wouldn't do it.

5 Fault codes
P0472 Differential pressure fault
P1351 Glow Plug fail
P0299 Turbo Pressure Regulation not plausible
P1639 Electrical Fuel Pump Signal Fault
P1445 Fuel Additive Level too high.
Is the text relating to the fault codes correct?

Symptoms while driving.
The Airco cuts out and comes back on after about 10 seconds

Car cuts out for a split second while driving (like a big hiccup)

When the clutch is disengaged i hear a rough noise only between 1k and 1.2k revs when the engine is decelerating.

There were fault codes relating to the Particle filter but the mechanic managed to clear those (going to remove filter on the weekend and power wash it)

Any ideas what the hell is going on?

P0299
For SID 803; Check vacuum supply to controller solenoid, they have been known to leak vacuum.

Is this right?

For clarity,
My car is a 2004 307 SW 1.6HDi
Vin number is VF33H9HZC83833787.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts