Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a late model 2008 407 SW SE

It was a steal for price owing to the media system being totally unusable. (Was going to break the car but it's perfect except this issue and I want to keep it) can rise parking sensors or anything without it though!

The system comes on but all you get is a black screen with "insert upgrade cd" and in icon in the lower left. So I went off to peugeot and paid for the afore mentioned cd. But the machine takes it in and promptly spits it back out.

I'm an IT tech by trade so I'm not afraid to pull it all to bits but I figured I'd ask here first. See if anyone has more experience with the unit. I know I'm probably just using the disc wrong lol. Can't find anything else on this issue. Well I can but only on the French forum and I'm hardly a linguist haha

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I just bought a late model 2008 407 SW SE

It was a steal for price owing to the media system being totally unusable. (Was going to break the car but it's perfect except this issue and I want to keep it) can rise parking sensors or anything without it though!

The system comes on but all you get is a black screen with "insert upgrade cd" and in icon in the lower left. So I went off to peugeot and paid for the afore mentioned cd. But the machine takes it in and promptly spits it back out.

I'm an IT tech by trade so I'm not afraid to pull it all to bits but I figured I'd ask here first. See if anyone has more experience with the unit. I know I'm probably just using the disc wrong lol. Can't find anything else on this issue. Well I can but only on the French forum and I'm hardly a linguist haha
You will probably find that it has a HDD and said HDD has died! I have seen it mentioned a few times on this forum on various cars

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You will probably find that it has a HDD and said HDD has died! I have seen it mentioned a few times on this forum on various cars
Thanks for the quick reply!

That thought had crossed my mind also :-( assuming I drop a new HDD in there what can I do to get all the software back on it? Is there a guide? I'm assuming that disk will require a OS boot sector and specific partitioning to allow the upgrade disc to install?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply!

That thought had crossed my mind also :-( assuming I drop a new HDD in there what can I do to get all the software back on it? Is there a guide? I'm assuming that disk will require a OS boot sector and specific partitioning to allow the upgrade disc to install?
I have not been in the situation myself, but I would imagine the software install disk sorts that out for you. You may need to plug in with Planet / Diagbox to set the car's options afterwards?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm having a hellish time with this thing lol I've exhausted Google and am still no further on! My local dealer won't touch it so I'm stuck! New hdd formatted and plonked in and same issue, new HDD unformatted and same issue. So frustrating because basically everything on my car is useless without the screen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It's an RT5 which is nice if I can Get it working haha! I'll try that link anyways though and see if it's still relevant. I think it will be. Now I just need the master boot record from a working drive and I'm all set THANKYOU.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Are you sure you have the correct software (8.31 for RT4/5) and not for RT3 or RT6?

Booting from the CD it can format a new drive as necessary, but it must be a 30GB drive (or 32GB CF).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Positive. I bought it from peugeot and it's written on the disc :) it's a direct replacement HDD also. Identical model. Good thinking though!

·
Registered
23 Posts
if you do decide to get rid of the car i would like to buy it from you as i am a electrical engineer and would like a car to fix

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well ive given up. Ive tried hdd,ssddcf cards and no matter what It just spits the discs back out reguardless of what i do. Disc in disc out. Ive tried all the cominations of buttons on the bottom and reboot procedures it simply will not accept any discs of any kind. It spins them up for a second and hands them back. The car was 250quid im not about to replace the unit for 600 lol.

Im totally at a loss as to what could be wrong now.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Ever considered that the optical drive is kaput? Classic symptom of an optical drive being unable to read the media inserted. Doesn't have to be a faulty disc - more likely the laser is faulty or needs calibrating / aligning or even the head positioning motor is faulty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts