Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2000 x reg 206 gti and the multifunction display inside where the hazard light switch is does not work!!!

I have checked fuses in the fuse compartment at the drivers right knee area but all seem ok, any ideas??

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Multi Function Unit Fixed Now

After checking the fuses and they was all ok, i scoured the internet to read that the multi function units are not very reliable and can muck up internally.

So i got the haynes manual out, (disconnect battery negative lead first) Of came the plastic facia that covers the hazard warning light switch and multi function unit display.

Beware though cos in the haynes manual it jus says prise off the facia when in fact you should push the plastic towards the window screen and lift at the same time then the back part of the plastic (nearest window screen) should come undone (lift up) first, then continue to push towards the window screen and then the front part of the plastic will unslot.

Once that was done i unplugged the hazard warning light switch from its plug then put the plastic facia with the hazard light switch to one side to continue to get out the multifunction unit (2 star type screws) as shown in haynes manual.

Next i took the multifunction unit out of its plastic casing by unclipping the 3 plastic clips and unplug.

Now when the unit was out i thought i spotted the problem straight away.

There is a metal plate that runs across the top of the multifunction unit with 4 white round plastic things twisted in the top (lightbulb holders) and roughly in the middle of that metal plate will be a thing bit of metal that has been broken 1 end and bent down.

So i got my friend round who is very good with electricals (fixes tv's, DVD players etc.) and he said no that is meant to be like that and was purposely broken when made (dont know why, french???) cos if that thin bit of metal was reconnected back up it would be positive and negative touching and my dashboard would be in flames in no time at all!!!!

So he further investigated the metal plate on the unit and noticed where the thin bit of broken metal is, there is 2 thin bits of metal that go down into the unit, 1 being positive and 1 being negative.

So he turned the unit upside down and unclipped the green circuit board.

The problem was in there, basically where the two thin bits of metal at the top of the unit go down into the unit they go to a little white plug thingy to feed the circuit board with power, the solder on the *********** plug had came off therfore not feeding the unit (circuit board) with power hence why my unit was totally dead.

So today he took the unit to work and resoldered the little *********** plug back onto the circuit board for me. (get a tv repair bloke to do this for you or someone good with electrics and a solder iron cos if you use a to hot solder iron you will fry your circuit board making the unit useless and you will need a whole new unit basically)

After work we fitted the multifunction unit back into car and she worked straight away.

Now i have made that sound quiet complicated when really it is not, here is in short what you will probably need to do if your multi function unit is totally dead.

Take the unit out of the car, the unit itself is cased in white plastic with another black plastic case on it.

seperate the unit from the black plastic casing by unclipping the 3 plastic clips.

Now your left with just the multifunction unit turn the unit upside down and unclip the circuit board. (the top of the unit has the metal plate running across the top with 4 white round plastic bulb holders screwed in).

Now roughly in the middle of the circuit board you should see a little white plastic plug, That is the power plug and now if the white plastic plug slides off 1 little metal prong (earth prong) then it needs resoldering back on and then should be fixed.

If this does fix your unit then please post in here to let me and other people know really how common this problem is as they seem to use very little solder to solder the plug on (Manufacturing costs??).

The unit itself would get warm when on for quiet long but the fact that the unit is directly above the heater fans that probably doesnt help with the heat neither hence why eventually the solder breaks which is apparently quiet common on most electrics with solder cracking breaking etc. as explained above they probably use minimal amounts of solder for costs.

Hope this helps other people and fixes there multi function units.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All, I know this is a VERY late additional question but I'm pretty sure my bulbs need replacing....Is there a way to be sure?

Thanks in advance!
I took the plunge and bought four new bulbs from halfords part no. 286 I fitted them easily enough but the MFU still won't come on. The guy at halfords told me that if all the other electrics are working which they are then he doubts its the fuse but I don't know what else it could be....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.