Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, hope somebody can help me out, I'm trying to read my edc16c3 ecu with an mpps tool with voltage at a stable 12.75V, all cables still and connected correctly. it ID's fine and starts reading ok (no problem with security access etc), after 2-3% it instantly jumps to 100% and shows 'block data checksum error' any advice would be greatly appreciated,as I'm at a loss with it just now! Surely if there is a fault with the map on the ecu currently it would not start? Cheers!

·
5,664 Posts
Have you got antivirus switched off and any non essential programs closed and low ripple PSU. Sounds like data read error so the OBDII data block transmission so checksums do not match (ie corrupt data read) not corrupt data in ecu.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you got antivirus switched off and any non essential programs closed and low ripple PSU. Sounds like data read error so the OBDII data block transmission so checksums do not match (ie corrupt data read) not corrupt data in ecu.

Hi windy thanks for your reply, I didn't have it disabled before but I have now disabled it and will try again. I have a mains charger, do you think this will be sufficiently low ripple? Thanks again! D

·
5,664 Posts
It depends on how good the charger is.

You can often get good results with an existing well charged car/motorbike battery with a CTEK or similar smart charger connected to it or a proper electronic workbench power supply

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It depends on how good the charger is.

You can often get good results with an existing well charged car/motorbike battery with a CTEK or similar smart charger connected to it or a proper electronic workbench power supply
The laptop charger is the original dell one, I'd like to think it's ok quality but you never know these days! Tried again there but with no joy, I'm starting to think There must be something wrong with my laptop or lead etc, I Think I may be forced to let the professionals do it, I had it at constant 13.5 volts with a charger there, all unnecessary programs disabled and it's still doing the exact same :confused: Either that or I will try to remove the ecu and bench flash it, although I've heard that the immobilisers give bother on the edc16's when trying to bench flash, don't know if this is true or not though! Cheers

·
5,664 Posts
Sorry thought you were doing it in BDM mode on a bench any options for slow speed on interface

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry thought you were doing it in BDM mode on a bench any options for slow speed on interface
I think that may be the only option for it, for now to get things progressing I have got a professional to read the file and give me a copy, I can now potter away at it while the new map is getting written, do you know where I can get all the tools to bench flash? Do I need different leads etc if so do you know where I could get them too? Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Don't even try to flash your EDC16 with an MPPS, especially a clone, it won't go well. I only use BDM100 on these, and that's an ECU out job. This is 100% safe as you back up the FULL flash data and also the serial EEPROM.

With MPPS you're only reading part of the flash data, if it goes wrong then you're going to need somebody to repair your ECU. If you're lucky they will be able to piece together the file you read by OBD and use BDM to repair it but that's not guaranteed. Personally I wouldn't try it.

I've got a Genuine MPPS from AMT car tech and I still use BDM.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't even try to flash your EDC16 with an MPPS, especially a clone, it won't go well. I only use BDM100 on these, and that's an ECU out job. This is 100% safe as you back up the FULL flash data and also the serial EEPROM.

With MPPS you're only reading part of the flash data, if it goes wrong then you're going to need somebody to repair your ECU. If you're lucky they will be able to piece together the file you read by OBD and use BDM to repair it but that's not guaranteed. Personally I wouldn't try it.

I've got a Genuine MPPS from AMT car tech and I still use BDM.
Hi Steve thank for the info and advice, I'll look into getting a bdm100 and bench tool so I can do this and not make a mess of things! :) thanks again

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ok, and one more bit of advice, the BDM100 clone you buy uses the pinout for the dimsport 555 pro (or at least one that I used before did), that's the smaller plug which uses less pins. If you get this wrong you will burn out the ECU when the power is switched on. If you're going to play around with tuning it yourself, get a spare ECU before you touch your own ;)

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
i brought something to write onto my car a edc16. it didnt end well and bricked my ecu

my local mapper uses a kers system and has done both mine and my mums car fine

·
5,664 Posts
I got a clone Galletto V54 off ebay and not had a problem in BDM mode with two EDC16 I have done a Golf and Jeep

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, and one more bit of advice, the BDM100 clone you buy uses the pinout for the dimsport 555 pro (or at least one that I used before did), that's the smaller plug which uses less pins. If you get this wrong you will burn out the ECU when the power is switched on. If you're going to play around with tuning it yourself, get a spare ECU before you touch your own ;)
Ah I see, I'll keep an eye out for that, thanks!...I assume it will be fairly easy to spot? It turns out my mpps won't read it because the one of the checksum blocks is actually missing a part due to a corrupt generic file being uploaded by a local 'tuning' company when the car was in the hands of the previous owner ....apparently I'm lucky that it even runs! I must be very lucky as I don't have any management faults either! Phew!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, meant to add in that I'm very greatful of everybodies help on this thread and forum, it's really helped me out here, I'll get myself a bdm100 or equivalent, so as hdi tuning suggests I can make a clone ecu incase I make a booboo of the original! Thanks !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it turns out the data on the ecu was corrupt causing the checksum error.....this, I presume, is why the mpps wouldn't read as it saw corrupt read, when in fact it was the file itself that was at fault! Thanks for all the advice! I'm ordering bdm100 and spare ecu tonight :)!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
just be careful its not the machine your using.

i sent my file off to a mapper. he said it was fine. then tried to rewrite which bricked my ecu.

only after did he say he found a checksum error and used the correct one for my ecu from the mapper

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just be careful its not the machine your using.

i sent my file off to a mapper. he said it was fine. then tried to rewrite which bricked my ecu.

only after did he say he found a checksum error and used the correct one for my ecu from the mapper
Sounds like you haven't had much luck unfortunately 👎 I tried with the mpps and it wouldn't read at all with a checksum error :( so I took it to a local pro with £15k worth of mapping tools and software ( apparently)! And now my mapper found the same fault, so I am starting to feel pretty confident that is what's been wrong with it all along lol I will be sure to double check the checksum, I definitely don't want a bricked ecu!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts