Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there is any way of calibrating the calculation of MPG on the 307. It's a 55 plate registered January 06 with 114k on the clock and using the car only for my 120 mile round trip commute to and from work which is around 90 miles motorway and the rest local roads my display showed 70.5 mpg last week and so far this week is displaying 72.3 (both the average mpg figures).

The distance travelled figures are more or less spot on and the speedo reading is within 2 mph of the gps speed shown on my satnav so I don't suspect false mileage recording to be the reason why the mpg figures are so high. Started last week with a full tank and zeroed the mpg and trip counters. Filledthe tank at the end of the week and again zeroed the counters. The amount of diesel used and the mileage covered actually worked out at around 56mph so 14mpg less than the trip computer shows and actually more believable than the trip computer. Will work out the actual mpg again on Saturday when I fill up again.

So - back to the original question - can the on board be calibrated somehow ?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I find the onboard computers to always "over estimate" as it goes by your pedal position for X amount of time, it doesnt take into consideration what gear your in, tracking and other factors that would affect MPG.

70+mpg does seem a little excessive though.

Talking from experience, my mams old 308 1.4VTi used to average about 43MPG, but the trip computer always said about 51MPG. Not as big of gap as yours, but its still out by a rather big amount, I would consider +/-10% to be acceptable.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
if i do my trip to work it shows about 45mpg

if i do the trip again and again it slowly goes down

normally when im ready to fill up its showing about 33mpg lol

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I woul;d be much happier if it was showing less on the display than it was actually achieving. Two full tanks have given 55 & 52 mpg. I reset the counters on filling up and usually after the first day the car shows between 72.3 - 74.8 mpg and slowly drops to 70.5 by the end of the week. I knew the figure was going to be wrong but it seems to be excessively over-optimistic. Just wish there was a way to calibrate it to give more realistic numbers. Still - knowing that it is around 20mpg over lets me have a good idea of the REAL mpg figure :)

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have the injectors been changed at some time?
Couldn't say. I picked the car up three weeks ago without any service history, just the MOT history which was excellent.

The car had 133k on the clock when I got it. I'm not really disappointed with the MPG I'm getting and I'll be doing a service on it when we get a reasonable weekend so hope filter & oil changes and cleaning the EGR valve will help.

It's just that the display is so far out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts