Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone noticed any larger difference in mpg when driving with AC on opposed to w/o AC ???

I've read in car magazines that sometimes it can differ for a whole liter... but I would think it's for gasoline engines that drink more than diesels by default... but what about 1.6 HDi 110hp...

Never noticed a big difference with previous cars I've had but then again I didn't have automatic AC like I have now in 307 and this one is frosting front windshield on hot summer day when blowing directly into it which means working waaaaaay stronger/harder than previous ones...

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I seem to recall reading a 5% difference in mpg - which I could well believe. When I switch on the air con there is a definite loss of power - so the gas/oil pedal goes down further towards the floor to maintain the cars momentum.

It is possible to have the air con on for 'free' when on overrun - but what sort of numpty would switch it on only when going down a long hill? (me)

C

·
0 Posts
It very much depends on the car - some have the AC effectively permanently engaged in the mechanical sense, and it is the electronically controlled flaps in the ventilation system that mix the air with warm air from the matrix to achieve the desired temperature all year round.

On my 3008 the difference is so slight it's difficult to mathematically attribute it to the aircon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not intentionally pointed... stayed on that setup from chilly/moist previous night... so in the morning when sun was already pretty warm, it just made frost on windshield before I rearranged everything...

Well, I'm on around 43 mpg on open roads so just trying to figure out is there is anything that could inflict such low mpg... I'm used on older diesels in heavier cars (Vectra 2.0 DTH) to have like 25% better mileage at least...

·
Registered
15 Posts
When was the car last serviced? Could be as simple as a blocked air filter?

Are you driving the car harder than you would have driven the old cars you had? Hopefully a few people with the same engine can give you a figure to compare with.

Cheers,

Mark.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All 4 filters changed after car was bought (3000 miles of total mileage so far as I'm not home a lot and my wife don't drive that much)... new oil... new belt, water pump and that springy thing for belt (can't remember exact term for it)... anyway...

And definitely not driving it harder than I drove Opel Vectra as 307 compared to Vectra really dives into the curve plus mobile police radars are all around lately...

Still waiting for tomorrow as we're going to clean EGR and see if that would make ANY difference...

·
Registered
906 Posts
Did anyone noticed any larger difference in mpg when driving with AC on opposed to w/o AC ???

I've read in car magazines that sometimes it can differ for a whole liter... but I would think it's for gasoline engines that drink more than diesels by default... but what about 1.6 HDi 110hp...

Never noticed a big difference with previous cars I've had but then again I didn't have automatic AC like I have now in 307 and this one is frosting front windshield on hot summer day when blowing directly into it which means working waaaaaay stronger/harder than previous ones...
when you say frosting, is it like ice frost or mist??

In my experience it doesnt make any difference in consumption. I have my climate control on all the time even in winter, the compressor only kicks in when the cabin sensor detects are certain temperature.. Thats what climate controls are for..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Low mpg might be because of too much oil in the engine !!!

No definitely not the mist... real frost like the glass is freezing... it's really doing an awesome job... Read somewhere that it can differ a whole liter but not in this case, I guess...

Other than that, my wife sent me an update in the meantime, she did 248 miles... well, she drove it around the town for about 10 days or so, little percentage on open roads... she got refilled 5.26 imperial gallons (we do kilometers and liters in Bosnia) which showed more than amazing 47mpg around town...

But I'm guessing I discovered another thing... What I'm about to say isn't going to show me as a KNOWLEDGABLE driver but... on my last vacation, I didn't check oil level for some reason... but after we went to the coast, I had some time to play around the car and discovered to have about a WHOLE LITER of oil above max level... knowing that it will not do whole a lot of damage (unless something explodes during the drive due to excessive pressure) we drove back to pull excess with vacuum pump in the same garage that did service...

So for 400 km oil level didn't change which outcasts the idea of diesel getting into cilinders... and leaves garage in bad light as doing a HUGE mistake...

But I think THAT is the problem why diesel consumption was high... one liter of oil more than max would make higher mechanical resistance in the engine thus burning more fuel... and out of that excess would pull out anti-pollution-fault due to excess particles in FAP...

I cannot be sure that mileage went up (last time she had 6,8 liters around town compared to 6 now)... I had 6.5 liters per 100km on open roads (I drive more aggressive than she)... so until September I cannot check if it's going to lower my mpg but it definitelly lowered hers...

Once again, I felt like a sheep after I discovered that oil is waaay over max and that after 4-5 months after service... I used to be better, checking levels almost weekly but lately when I'm on R&R just lost the habit...

After I'm 100% that overfilled oil did less mpg, I will create a thread explaining all this again... I'm sure that's not the only garage doing such a slacking every now and then... human mistakes are always going to be there...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts