Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my saloon now for a couple of years and thinking I may want to change to an estate, mainly because of getting more and more into mountain biking.

Yes I could bolt it to the roof with bike bars etc, but not keen on driving with a bike upright on a car roof.

So has anybody fitted a mountain bike into the back of a 407 SW?

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have the saloon and fitted a towbar and bought a bike rack for it. Can carry couple of bikes with no fear of droppin bike or crap on roof or in the boot.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The 407sw has a surprisingly small boot. I remember just getting my sons BMX into my 306 estate and the boot in that is substantially larger than the 407's (my poor dog will confirm this lol - he barely fits into the 407 and had plenty of room in the 306 - and yes, it's a BIG dog). I'd definitely go with some kind of outside option if it's practical. Maybe, with the seats down, parcel shelf off, and wheels off, you MIGHT get one bike in, but that's probably about the limit.

Course, you could always ask on here if there are any SW owners near you - might be able to talk someone into letting you try/look.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 407sw has a surprisingly small boot. I remember just getting my sons BMX into my 306 estate and the boot in that is substantially larger than the 407's (my poor dog will confirm this lol - he barely fits into the 407 and had plenty of room in the 306 - and yes, it's a BIG dog). I'd definitely go with some kind of outside option if it's practical. Maybe, with the seats down, parcel shelf off, and wheels off, you MIGHT get one bike in, but that's probably about the limit.

Course, you could always ask on here if there are any SW owners near you - might be able to talk someone into letting you try/look.
Blimey, I never realised the boot was so small. When I sold my old mountain bike, the chap collected it in a Insignia hatchback. Folded down the seats, parcel shelf off and the bike slid in easily with room to spare. Without having to take the wheels off. That was a 20 inch bike.

Hmm....need to rethink this. Shame then vere did the 407 as a hatchback :thumb:

C

·
0 Posts
The cars interior is not the place for a bike - have a smack and it becomes a large, hard, spiky projectile. Slap it up on t'roof where it belongs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i work in a bike shop, the best way to carry a bike is on a tow ball fitted rack with a lighting board, not a cheap job i suppose if you car doesn't have a tow ball but cheaper than changing the car.

C

·
0 Posts
I have the 407sw and the boot area is tiny when you open the lid its like looking into a porthole :eek: my 306 estate and all other estates dwarf it by comparison even my wifes passat saloon can hold the Pram with more roof left than my 407

·
Registered
298 Posts
I can fit both my partners and my hybrid mountain bikes in my saloon! Take from wheels off, loosen handlebars and they fit right in easy as pie!

·
Super Moderator
1,785 Posts
On the roof is the best option, imo. That's where mine goes on the vectra, even though there's loads of room in the boot. As for mpg, yes it goes down a bit, but that's a small price to pay considering what would happen if you had an accident. Instant missile, bye bye head!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I could fit 4 bikes (maybe 5 at a push) with front wheels removed standing upright in the back of my 307 estate with the seats down.

There is no way that would be possible in my 407 :eek:

The boot is tiny in comparison, nowhere near as tall. It suits my needs, but I still maintain that the 307sw or estate is a more practical family car :nod:

You think you can fit loads in a 407, and the first try confirms that big stuff fits, until the item hits the roof. Remember the bootlid cuts into the roof, it looks massive when you open it, but the lid won't close if the item is tall!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yeah the amount of boot lost to the shape of the back of a car is a pain.
The front passenger seat folding down does help if you're shifting long items or lots of items like boxes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts