Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my 307cc has hardly been used for a few months and I opened it up today to start the engine to charge the battery up and noticed furry mould on the seats and seat belts. I always leave one of those damp trap things in a car if I’m not using it in winter but that was bone dry. Anyone else have this issue or know how to cure it? Maybe need to cover the interior with some sheets?

·
Registered
2009 308cc 2.0 HDI 16V 140bhp RHF
122 Posts
It’s caused by condensation in the car I had the same problem with my C2, all I did was start it up everyday let the heater run for a bit and then left windows open to vent it. And wiped over mould with product to stop it getting worse. Unfortunately cars need to be used or we end up with all sorts of problems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I put that damp trap in to hopefully catch condensation but obviously not working. I have an mx5 in the garage that sits over winter and that got a bit of mould a few years back and the damp trap stopped it. I need to start using it but I have a van for work and a Mitsubishi Delica for leisure at the weekends when I take my mountain bikes out to trails so the pug just sits there. Maybe I should sell it?

·
Registered
2009 308cc 2.0 HDI 16V 140bhp RHF
122 Posts
Suppose you could try some more damp traps in the location where mould is the worst. Let it air every day for 30 mins mould Hates dry conditions so the dryer and aired you can keep it the better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does the car sit in sunshine during the day but shade rest of time? I only ask as a car dealer in town has quite a few cheapo cars with the same problem. Some have literally green furry seats so God knows how he plans to sell them. But they are in the shade most of time except for a short period of the day where they are in direct sunlight. This causes the humidity issue
You could try some bags of silica gel or something like that to absorb the moisture or if the car is in a secure and dry place maybe keep a window or sunroof open a bit to vent it

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Not necessarily damp but the dirt on the seats can include food bits that will go like that. Perhaps a good valeting might help. You did take off the seal on the damp trap?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The seats were thoroughly cleaned with upholstery cleaner at the end of the summer so they were pretty spotless. Foil cover is off the damp trap👍

·
Registered
27 Posts
The seats were thoroughly cleaned with upholstery cleaner at the end of the summer so they were pretty spotless. Foil cover is off the damp trap
Have you checked your boot for damp? I only say that as we found a small lake in the spare wheel well recently and it turned out the boot vents behind the bumper were letting in water (and had been for some time) so the boot smelled a bit frousty. No mould though but might have done over time with closed doors and temperature fluctuations.
Maybe worth a check

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, boot is dry. Now that you mention leaks - my dad used to have a Rover 75 and the windscreen was forever wet inside (my pugs is too) and it turned out to be the drain holes under the windscreen were blocked and the plenum chamber (sure it was called that) had about an inch of water sat in it. Once they were unblocked the issue went. Presumably Pugs can have this issue too? I’ll have a look next weekend

·
Registered
27 Posts
Definitely worth a check. Seems like it's got to be something like that. The bloke I mentioned in town had cars sat closed up for months in bright sunshine during day and then shade and cold on an afternoon so I reckon that was his issue. So lack of use was maybe a big part of that. But a car shouldn't do that under normal circumstances.
Hopefully you'll find an easy source of the mould

1 - 11 of 11 Posts