Peugeot Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks Danger. You thoughts raise another possibility. Received an email of your offer to make contact, but am unable to reply. How can we exchange contact details without exposing ourselves to the world at large?
Bobbo

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Bobbo,
If you make another post I think you will have hit the magic 20 posts required to send a PM.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Have re-checked all the fuses again but nothing amiss.Cannot find any earths that I have not cleaned.Have had pointed out to me that because the radio fitted is not original I have no way of configuring the multi function display. However I don’t see any relationship between this and my non starting problem. Or could there be?
Bobbo.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Although I doubt putting fuses in what are "spare slots" should not cause problems perhaps Dangar suggestion of removing them might/might not prove if they are the cause of the "extra" faults but not the engine one. So as the earths go you have confirmed that the gearbox to chassis and engine to chassis are proven good. To be double sure try slaving in a cable from the battery earth terminal to the chassis preferably using eye terminals just to tick off the earth being the culprit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
If we were to assume my problem is in an ECU somewhere (and we don’t know that it is) and I was to aquire a key , a key reader, a BSI,an engine management module and an under bonnet fuse box, all from the same vehicle, in running order, could that possibly solve my problem?
Bobbo.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thank you madb and r406.
Re the ignition switch, I assume you mean the cranking function because the ignition function appears to make contact. Where can I access the output of the crank function to check this.
Re the radio, will certainly remove this and try again. Would I have to remove the additional wiring installed, or would it be sufficient to just unplug the radio?
No one has yet commented on my thoughts in #45.
Bobbo.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Try unplugging then if that makes no difference go further to totally uninstall it would be my advice. As the defect seems to be hit and miss I would have thought that everything is working when it works. Hence the intermittent success has to be to something that engages all services to start, fuel, ignition and starter hence the switch! Now as the switch might be coded I don't know so you will have to wait till someone who has knowledge of switching everything you suggest would fix it and how to do it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bobbo,
Re comments in #45, I think you would get more value from the $80 or so for the PP2000 reader. If I ever get my car working properly, you can borrow mine for a bit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks Guys.
Have removed the after market radio without any changes to the situation.
Have considered PP, but I am not very computer literate and would probably get way out of my depth. Thanks for the thought though Dangar.
Was considering a visit to my local Peugeot dealer but that is all on hold due to coronavirus.
Does anyone know if Peugeot dealerships use PP or do they have an in-house system?
Am at present dealing with some body/mechanical issues which I am capable of handling, so depending on coronavirus will not be working on electronics for some time.
But be warned, I will be back!
Bobbo

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
Peugeot planet /diagbox IS the inhouse system !
Dealers are not the best place for this kind of thing as they tend to just plug in computer and fit parts based on what they see on the screen !!
It can get expensive very quickly

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
You can get handheld readers now make specific. One of the ones I have got is loaded with Peu plus others. Up to 5 makes. But it costs £350 with the make of your choice loaded. You also can then go on line and get whatever updates to the makers system for free. To add on other makes are £50 a go. It sounds expensive for a old second hand car but it is far better that asking the "Stealers" as reliable406 highlighted. The thing is even though they replace with new and it does not fit they do not refit old item which was working! That is your money down the drain!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thanks R406 and Madb. Am certainly aware of these issues re dealers (“Stealers”, I like it ), but thanks for reinforcing the point. However, with the coronavirus situation in this country all this is now well into the future.
As I said, I will be back.
Stay safe.
Bobbo

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I think that is right. That is why I will do some mechanical work and the electronics will have to wait until it is safe to involve someone else.
Take care,
Bobbo.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts