Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2l petrol 307cc was running until it ran out of petrol.
Petrol was added to the tank but the motor will not now start (cranks over fine but will not fire). Adding petrol to the inlet manifold will start the motor running but only until that fuel is exhausted.
Does the fuel system have to be primed similarly to a Diesel engine or are there other factors at play?
Bobbo

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the battery was replaced with a new one. Will check the beep test and fuses over the weekend.
Bobbo

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, plays a nice little jingle when I open the door. Assume that’s the beep test.
Checked all the fuses, addled a couple where there were vacant spaces.
Motor still cranks but will not fire.
Lots of electrics not operating, will prepare a comprehensive list and post later.
Bobbo

·
6,097 Posts
Check for a fuel filter you may have one and its blocked with crud from the tank. If no filter how much fuel have you put in and can you hear pump run when you put ign on

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This thing is crazy. Am now getting different displays each time I switch on the ignition. Too many variations to list but a frequent one is:
Time and date (flashing)
Temperature
Odometer
Fuel guage
Radio
Aircon
Gear lever position (sometimes

The motor no longer cranks over, and the beep test no longer produces a beep.

Have not checked fuel pump and filter yet, too much else happening

Any ideas?

Bobbo

·
Registered
15,164 Posts
Recharge your battery preferably overnight and then recheck beep test if its ok look at parameters for cranking speed to be sure you have crank signal also fuel pump should prime on key on even without cranking

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Battery voltage 12.7v. Have put on charger.
Could the battery in the keypad be flat?
By changing the battery in the keypad would I lose any programming contained therein?
Thanks for your interest and comments.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
No to the key battery change loss of programming. If you put a new fully charged battery in the car how has it gone flat? Either you have spent all day trying to start it or there is a bigger electrical problem. Start checking all earths and positive connections to the battery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have spent quite a bit of time attempting resets etc. so that may have pulled the battery down a bit. Do you consider 12.7v too low for this vehicle?Will check earths as you suggest. Approx how many would there be?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
It is not the voltage per se it is the amperage that is vital. You can have a lead acid battery after a full charge show 12+ volts but when load tested it can be flat! Check the main earths such as the one to the battery/bodywork and the gearbox/body. By checking I mean remove the bolt and ensure there are no signs of corrosion as well as ensuring it is fully tightened preferably to the torque value for bolt size.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Another consideration is the starter motor. If tired (worn) then it is possible it will starve the ignition although you said it starts if you add fuel in the intake. Check the fuel pump is running. It is accessed under the rear seat right hand side. It should run when ignition turned on. So with a helper you could do that. As the tank ran dry I would pull the pump out to check for blockage as earlier suggested. If you need advising on how to do that just ask.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks madbadandold. Had located the two earths under the battery tray, just wondered if there were others around the vehicle that I should know about. This is my first foray into the world of Peugeot. Am trying to get the fuel pump out but that jam jar top is bloody tight and I don’t want to break it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cleaned two earths, motor now cranks over. Eventually removed the fuel pump. Does not run on test bench, no connectivity between terminals. Seems it has died, do you agree? No crud, but smells of stale petrol. Electrics are still crazy, considering a BSI reset after I replace the fuel pump, would that be the way to go?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts