Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. My 308 has failed its MOT on emissions (and two tires). It failed last year and I had a replacement cat put on which made it just pass. It's had the engine warning light on for over a year now. At first diagnostics said ageing cat (last year) and now it's saying upstream O2 sensor is faulty. Thing is the garage today said the engine is "tired" and I would most likely need a recon engine, as it burns oil (about a litre every two months/1000 miles or more ish). They said because the values are so high that replacing the O2 sensor wouldn't bring them down enough to pass the MOT. I'm gutted.

Any help or advice please?

·
Registered
10 Posts
High emissions

I do not know for certain if this will help but I will have a go : try holding your car in lower gears and build up the speed , this could help to clear your problem . They may be some smoke when you do this .
I used to do this before an MoT , seemed to work .

·
6,441 Posts
The car is running rich check air filter as suggested, the coolant sensor and thermostat etc

·
Registered
291 Posts
Given it's been 6 weeks since the OP, it's probably a moot point by now...

But, failing an MOT on two tyres is indicative of a total lack of maintenance - if you can't spend 4 seconds checking a tyre what are the chances that the oil has even been checked, leave alone been replaced in a service?

At 62k I seriously doubt the engine is 'tired' - more like choked up to hell with an air filter that doesn't, oil that's sticky. My 1.6 petrol 306 had 174,000 miles on and it sailed the emissions...

A proper flush and service along with a 10 minute thrash would probably fix it (and if that was done last year it probably wouldn't have needed a new cat either).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts