Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just failed MOT retest because of emmisions.
The first failure was result of badly holed exhaust which the MOT man said was the cause. I have repaired the exhaust but it still failed.
MOT man very helpful and tried his best to warm up engine to get better result but could not. He has suggested that I should get the engine really hot and bring in at an agreed time to test while really hot. He also said that these engines often give emmisions problems unless really hot. Also said there is still a small leak in exhaust which should be fixed. I have fixed the leak but it was very very slight so cannot believe it had any effect.
Looked at last years results and they were absolute borderline on both Lambda and CO, believe Lambda is the immediate problem now.
Any advice how to improve emmisions results would be welcomed.
Peugeot 106 year 2000, engine 1.1i
Regards

·
Registered
441 Posts
before MOT take it up the motorway or dual carriageway and give it a good burn out, this will help to de-coke deposits.

give it a good run for 20mins plus use a lower gear if must, but make the engine work and get it hot.

·
6,314 Posts
tiny leaks post cat can cause emission failure my daughters 207 had a tiny blow on the flex joint on her car (which was not even enough for a MOT fail) and it failed on emissions with poor lambda on CO level. Tried Italian tune up and revving nuts off if just before emission test still failed. Replaced middle pipe and it sailed through the test with no effort

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Leaking exhaust means Noxious fumes entering car Why not just put an exhaust or new section in
a leaking exhaust will affect emissions which leads to bad fuel economy
A good run before the MOT always helps

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leaking exhaust means Noxious fumes entering car Why not just put an exhaust or new section in
a leaking exhaust will affect emissions which leads to bad fuel economy
A good run before the MOT always helps
I have fitted a new Center section but could not source the correct dia pipe to fit the existing cat pipe which had to be cut. Consequently the connection was not perfect and had a very very small leak, probably no more than a sq mm. I believe this has now been eliminated and intend to try the "hot engine" option, either tomorrow or the next. Will report back.
Looking back at previous MOT records I see the results have been borderline for several years.
If it fails again then not sure if I have any options?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts