Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, in my cars last MOT it had an advisory; "play in steering rack inner joint(s) offside." He said both sides had play and would need sorting before the next MOT which is in February.

I'm going to do the work myself to save some money but I'm not sure what I need.

What does it mean by steering rack inner joints? When I google it the results are track rod ends

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
There is a balljoint on the inner end of the trackrod where it connects to the steering rack. It's under the bellows.

I only have details for the 308, but Haynes say a special tool is required to remove/refit the balljoint to the end of the rack. I have no idea what this is, or whether any other method would work.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
One each side.

Not a difficult job but you do need to have the alignment done afterwards. I would also do the track rod ends at the same time then you know it is all good for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Or you could have the rack replaced with a new/recon one. Mine cost £145 with a charge of £50 for the return of the one removed. Mind the subframe needs lowering to do it.
No need to cut the tree down to pick the fruit. I have changed these using a pair of stilsons, it was a bit tight for space, but doable.

Roger.

·
6,314 Posts
As above a set of stilsons and a dab of thread lock on the new ones in case slightly under torque to be on the safe side worked for me

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
If you are used to getting your hands dirty and have the kit to get under the car safely, remembering the car needs lifting quite high at the front as the rack is mounted at the rear of the engine compartment, then yes have a go. But remember that the rack casing is a aluminium casting that are brittle and so easily damaged. If it gets damaged then you will not be able to part exchange it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts