Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dear members,

Recently I saw little bit of oil leak on the ground coming out of my car (4-5 drops within 24 hours) engine is nice and dry, when I took it today to my mechanic he said he can't do it today but there is a separate issue, your timing belt is cracked and need replacing, so my question is:

Is he just telling me porkies or if it's true, why the Halfords Autocentre didn't spot it, or is it not the part of MOT check?

I would be very grateful if anyone has any advice?

·
2,596 Posts
Hi...belt condition is not part of the mot test although I dont know how he could tell as the cam belt is covered..I think he means the aux belt ,and yes they do age and show cracks in the grooves of the belt..no drama to change..the oil leak needs looking at to determine the severity.

ps as a reminder...the mot test means the car has met the minimum standards of the testable items at the time of the test...it has'nt had a major service

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi...belt condition is not part of the mot test although I dont know how he could tell as the cam belt is covered..I think he means the aux belt ,and yes they do age and show cracks in the grooves of the belt..no drama to change..the oil leak needs looking at to determine the severity.

ps as a reminder...the mot test means the car has met the minimum standards of the testable items at the time of the test...it has'nt had a major service
Hi noddy-hol,

I have double checked and you're right, he meant aux/drive belt, I checked on YouTube and it looks quiet easy to change it, is there any way it can go wrong by doing myself?

Thanks for the advice.

·
2,596 Posts
Hi...no...its fairly staight forward...just draw the route the belt takes around the pulleys,and compere the length and width of the new belt before trying to fit it...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi...no...its fairly staight forward...just draw the route the belt takes around the pulleys,and compere the length and width of the new belt before trying to fit it...
Thanks very much, I've just ordered one from ECP (gave reg no, hopefully is the right one) and will try and fit it as you adviced.

I'm very grateful for all the help and advice you give.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Hi noddy-hol,

When the mechanic changed the oil he didn't tight the knot enough that's why the leak started dripping little bit, so everything is fine now.

I've bought the drive belt and managed to change it myself and is all fine now.

Thank you all for all your advice, you do an amazing job and I'm very grateful for that.

Dati

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve had a few tensioner that te adjusters have broke off when retracting them just be careful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi monty,

I was very nervous the drill bit that I inserted to change the belt might snap otherwise I double and triple checked before I turned the engine on and all went well thankfully.

Many thanks

Dati

1 - 12 of 12 Posts