Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello 308 owners,

I am exploring the possibility to buy 308 MK2 next and I am looking for 308 buyers guide, I hope this is the right place for it. Reliability is job 1, so want to know which engine/year I should go for. Here are some of my questions:
-There are 2 facelifts (2017 and 2020), were there any significant problems that were addressed in the 2017 facelift?
-Which engine, gearbox, year of production, combo is the one to go for?
-The logical engine choice should be 1.6 hdi as it seems like its the brands most recognizable engine? What can go wrong with this unit?
-Is the 1.6 hdi engine the same through the lifespan of the MK2 308, or were there any improvements in the later years? What problems were detected and solved?
-There are many versions of the 1.6 hdi: 92,100,115,120 hp. What is the difference between them, which one to go for?
-All of the hdi engines are AdBlue? Service intervals?
-1.5 hdi. How does this engine fair compared to the 1.6 hdi? I read there are problems with the chain, AdBlue and cold weather? Are these 1.5 related only or do they happen to the 1.6 unit as well?
-When should I expect the big expenses to show up, like the clutch kit? i assume its dmf. 150k, 200k km?

lets roll.

· Registered
128 Posts
Maybe because your question is too hard?
There is no proper answer to it. Its more a luck thing then real technical differences. With adblue engines you WILL have problems, and with non-AB engines you WILL have problems. I would buy something else. But if you DO decide it has to be a hdi...get ready to have your hands dirty!
Edit: a overseen you looking after 2017, i believe all are AB. I would go for the 120, it has the best turbo and enough power. 1.5 has chain issues and same AB faults as 120...

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe because your question is too hard?
There is no proper answer to it. Its more a luck thing then real technical differences. With adblue engines you WILL have problems, and with non-AB engines you WILL have problems. I would buy something else. But if you DO decide it has to be a hdi...get ready to have your hands dirty!
Edit: a overseen you looking after 2017, i believe all are AB. I would go for the 120, it has the best turbo and enough power. 1.5 has chain issues and same AB faults as 120...
Yea ok, lets start slowly then.
-which mk2 1.6hdi versions come wiithout DPF and AdBlue?
-do all have DMF or some have SMF? (flywheel)
-it the facelift much better than the pre?

· Registered
1,165 Posts
No HDI comes without DPF. 1.6HDI 92hp is the only one without AdBlue and it's Euro 5. This is the only engine with SMF.

Facelift is better is some things, resolved some productions issues. Pre-facelift is better if you want 2.0 engine with 150/180 hp, after facelift, it's not available anymore.

Early 1.5HDI can have issues with camshaft chain, latter is was resolved. Peugeot, Citroën, DS, Opel. Problème de casse sur le 1.5 diesel (DV5)

· Registered
18 Posts
Hello 308 owners,

I am exploring the possibility to buy 308 MK2 next and I am looking for 308 buyers guide, I hope this is the right place for it. Reliability is job 1, so want to know which engine/year I should go for. Here are some of my questions:
-There are 2 facelifts (2017 and 2020), were there any significant problems that were addressed in the 2017 facelift?
-Which engine, gearbox, year of production, combo is the one to go for?
-The logical engine choice should be 1.6 hdi as it seems like its the brands most recognizable engine? What can go wrong with this unit?
-Is the 1.6 hdi engine the same through the lifespan of the MK2 308, or were there any improvements in the later years? What problems were detected and solved?
-There are many versions of the 1.6 hdi: 92,100,115,120 hp. What is the difference between them, which one to go for?
-All of the hdi engines are AdBlue? Service intervals?
-1.5 hdi. How does this engine fair compared to the 1.6 hdi? I read there are problems with the chain, AdBlue and cold weather? Are these 1.5 related only or do they happen to the 1.6 unit as well?
-When should I expect the big expenses to show up, like the clutch kit? i assume its dmf. 150k, 200k km?

lets roll.
Of the significant problems that I could remember is the rear torsion bridge, with old part number it used to have a piece of metal detach and knock around in it, nothing hazardous, just annoying.
1.6 and 1.5 HDI are both good options. 1.6 has been around so long it's refined to "perfection", do regular service with quality stuff and you are good to go, things that usually go wrong are eco related stuff, as always, FAP, AdBlue, EGR etc. 1.5 had problems with camshaft chain, easy and cheap fix even as prevention.
I suggest either 1.6 120 or 1.5 130, these are the powers that carry 308 easily, wouldn't go below that.
All of the 2017+ facelift HDI models are AdBlue. Service intervals? As usual 10000km for oil and filters, belt and stuff first at 170000km, next every 60000km.
1.5 chain problem is not related to 1.6.
Clutch and DMF highly depends on driving style of previous owner and yours, and well luck, it's not really that expensive and you should be aware that it's normal wear and tear and should be prepared to change it at any given moment. DMf should in most cases be good for at least 200000km. Mine's on 220000km and still no sign of it.

On a side note, to be completely honest, with so much concert about reliability you might be in a market for a wrong car brand, you don't get Pug 308 for reliability, you get it for style and driving experience. That said, I had zero issues with my used 308 2015. for the 3 years of owning it, just regular services.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
1.5 had problems with camshaft chain, easy and cheap fix even as prevention.
Cheap and easy? LOL! Do you know what are you talking about? Snapping of this chain can lead to catastrophic engine damage which would require a completely new engine. How is that cheap? Only thing that could be relatively cheap is doing this as prevention.

· Registered
18 Posts
Cheap and easy? LOL! Do you know what are you talking about? Snapping of this chain can lead to catastrophic engine damage which would require a completely new engine. How is that cheap? Only thing that could be relatively cheap is doing this as prevention.
Yes I know what I am talking about, now cheap and easy to change the chain, either as prevention or when you notice the chain rattle, they don't snap without warning, there is a known and highly reported rattle long before the complete failure. I'm certainly not talking about the cost of salvaging the damaged engine when the chain is already gone, the OP is already aware about the chain problem, so we are not talking about the oblivious driver here, but someone who will change it right away upon buying a car if he decides to go for 1.5, like everyone does with timing belt and etc. That's why we both mentioned it, so he can be aware of it and change it in time.
You are just being rude for no purpose, without carefully reading and understanding the angle. I'll be polite enough to assume it has nothing to do with flags by our usernames and is just a misunderstanding.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think the faulty chains were being replaced under waranty? If not, how much would it cost to take it to the stealers to replace it?
WHat about the adblue problems? All 308 (equipped with adblue) are effected by it? What is the solution and the cost?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On a side note, to be completely honest, with so much concert about reliability you might be in a market for a wrong car brand, you don't get Pug 308 for reliability, you get it for style and driving experience. That said, I had zero issues with my used 308 2015. for the 3 years of owning it, just regular services.
tbh, they look nice, drive ok and are amongst the cheapest on the second hand market.
Relliability should be good if you get them relativly (up to 5 years old) new I guess.
Is the 1.5 more quieter or punchier than the 1.6?

· Registered
70 Posts
Go for a late 2.0 180 engine seems great fsh is a must though on any of the diesels.2018 onwards have a better adblue tank fitted just keep it full and have no issues .1.5 camchsin is like a bike chain not great has been improved since launch and pulls ok 1.6 is cheap to run

1 - 11 of 11 Posts