Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently had new meyle HD control arms fitted with genuine ball joints so thought I'd better get it in and have the alignment checked.

Took it to a branch of National Tyres and thats where my troubles started.

Keys were handed back a duly my money taken - no mention of any real problems. Got home and found the steering wheel was slightly off, no biggie, so popped it up on ramps and was going to adjust 1/4 turn each side to correct (total amount of toe remaining the same)

The bloody grease monkey had adjusted it all on one side as the other was seized solid and he'd manage to round the locking nut.

Not worth going back as the seized tied rod end was not their fault (but they should have advised before doing any adjustments) so ordered up a couple of lemforder ends and soaked in penetrating oil.

Few days later out came the MAPP gas got the damn thing red hot - still would not budge. An hour later and the flats on the inner were well rounded, the ball joint cut off and a pair of stilsons wedged firmly in place, still not budging.

Thought at this point I may as well just replace the inner - to my surprise I mearly had to breath on it to get it to unscrew! Off to local factors on my bike and after buying both variants listed (change over period so differ in length) it was all back together in 10mins. New doesn't have any flats fo adjustment but I needed it in a hurry and as the threads are freshly copper slipped it shouldn't be an issue.

Tracks straight but will be booked in ELSEWHERE to get aligned properly in the next few days.

Moral of the story........... if the outer is being a pain to remove don't piss around....... just fit new inner and outer. Worth the extra few quid in saved time, using jubilee clips to secure gaitor saves a bit of time too.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Had my alignement done at National after changing the inners and outers and the steering wheel is off straight a bit. They are very slapdash! Will give them a chance to correct it though as they simply failed to set the steering wheel straight first, no seized parts as they were new.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
i had the same. i changed the track rod ends and did them by eye

drove to national tyres with a straight wheel and drove out with a steering wheel well off. in the end had to get a refund which i had to ring head office for

used local places with hunter systems never brought one back

·
Registered
687 Posts
Trying to decide whether my steering wheel is a bit off or not after getting the tracking done or whether it's road camber that I'm seeing. I'll take a look on Sunday hopefully but am leaning towards getting the Trackace tools Monty mentioned in another post.

To be honest, given the fairly cheap cost, I think I'll change them on a periodic basis on any car I have especially as the roads are not likely to improve any time soon!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts