Peugeot Forums banner

Momentary lapse...

4K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Happygilmore 
#1 ·
Above being knackered from the little babby, I was £19.42 into putting unleaded into my car last night before I realised.

Faced with RAC wanting £200 + Fuel my other option was to fill the rest up with diesel and hope it diluted it enough.

Worked out it was just less than a quarter of a tank of unleaded and over 3 quarters diesel - what is everyones view - will I be ok.

Car ran fine last night and this morning, was empty when filled up.

Thanks

#8 ·
I didnt in the end no - I had a couple of people tell me not to and just do the 3/4 tank then top up, so was a bit torn. Starts better now so hoping all passing through - plus had a good chat with a mechanic that came into work and he is going to check it out for me after - so should be ok i hope.

Cheers

#11 ·
about 90 litres i would put 500ml in. It cant harm the engine its only oil so will only lubricate the internals and if you put too much in it might smoke abit.If you have DPF make sure its low ash stuff. Asda do it for about £5 a litre

Reactions: Happygilmore
#14 ·
years ago a mate rang me and told me he had 1/2 filled his mazda van with petrol...and didn't want the hassle of draining it, what should he do....
so i told him to 'brim' it with diesel and drive gently and keep refilling it with diesel when it got low enough....he didn't bother and drove it with petrol -and 'ran it ragged' as it went like stink on petrol instead of diesel..(-so i found out later) ,some time later a friend of his bought it off him and was going up the steep hill in redhill ,surrey and the van kept accelerating he couldn't slow it down,chuffing out black smoke....the seals in the pump had gone and it was sucking through all the diesel it wanted ...engine went pop of course in a 'run away' event.....:nono:
he shoulda listened eh??:nod:
neil

#15 ·
Cheers for replies - car is driving well so far - so bad signs or anything. Have got some 2 stroke and will be putting in tonight, as not had a chance over weekend. Not sure the size of the tank to be honest, it took £86 off me when I brimmed it.

I managed to get hold of only 250ml of 2 stroke when I was out, so I am guessing that is ok to put all in? tanks about haf way in between 3/4 and half now, so will be topping up also tonight.

Cheers

#18 ·
normal is 250/300 ml per tankful, if its a litre bottle about 1/4 bottle a time. it can be a bit fiddly at the pump trying to get it right so i use the 'ish' method mostly :lol:

Reactions: Happygilmore
#19 ·
Haha! I practically get through my life with the 'ish' method :)

Just a further question though, I put the additive in yesterday, but 'depolution system faulty' message and engine light have come up today - car drives fine. Will this be because of the additive and eventually sort itself out? sure car smells a but different to - although that last part might be just my nose.

Cheers

G
#20 ·
Depollution Faulty is a generic warning and could be to do with the petrol or just a co incidence only a date with Planet will tell! I used 2 stroke in my 407 and all was fine. I used the ish method too and put about 250 ml in per full tank of diesel and noticed and almost instant quietening of the engine etc and an increase of mpg. Never got any warnings or anything from using it and i even throw some in my mondeo tdci from time to time aswell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.