Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Got a 207 2008 1.4 vti.
Roughly 6 months ago I got codes p1336, P1337 & P1338 (misfire on cylinders 1 and 2) along with severe loss of power. Called RAC who could find no fault, engine running fine etc and I drove home with no problems.

Fast forward 6 months same stretch of road same thing happens this time P1336 and P1339 (misfire on cylinder 3). AA this time who inspects coils and plugs, all appears fine and start engine up and drive home again no problems.

So my question is wtf is going on? And do I need to take any action? Cheers.

·
Registered
870 Posts
i would check valve timing, could be its struggling to adjust on a certain road.

a locking kit is handy to check it, but you will need to remove the cam cover.

had the same faults in the past.

with your locking pin in the flywheel you will be checking the flats on the cam are both in the up position, and may be a good time to change/check the chain tensioner.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would check valve timing, could be its struggling to adjust on a certain road.

a locking kit is handy to check it, but you will need to remove the cam cover.

had the same faults in the past.

with your locking pin in the flywheel you will be checking the flats on the cam are both in the up position, and may be a good time to change/check the chain tensioner.

Hi mate,

I really wouldn't know where to start with doing that lol.

Just to add though i do drive on this road quite regularly so it's not just the 2 occasions it has failed.

I'm considering getting AA breakdown with parts and labour cover. The amount of times something goes wrong i'm certain to get my moneys worth!

·
Registered
870 Posts
just thinking , if the cam timing is going out you will hear all sorts of strange noises from the engine, can sound like exhaust blowing and down on power.

we had all sorts of misfire codes, it was because the cam timing was off and reporting misfire to the ecu.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i really hope not as the chain was changed about 9 months ago. No other symptoms just these 2 incidents of misfire 6 months apart. Very strange, not sure whether to change ignition coils or not...

·
Registered
870 Posts
then i think its a waiting game, fault finding when its running fine is very hit and miss.
i would doubt three intermittent coil faults but stranger things happen.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Stripe, hope you can help! So last night set off from Kent to Manchester for the rugby and straight away in the dual carriageway anti pollution, misfire on cylinder 3 same codes etc. I cleared them and risked driving as i had no other way of getting there.

After 8 hours driving (3 stuck in traffic on the m2) the car made it. However, when idling in traffic white smoke was pouring out of the exhaust and also me and my partner noticed a gassy? Smell.

Temp gauge was fine and water and oil ok too.

Do you have any suggestions? AA man last week said something about fuel injector, Does this sound plausible? Thanks

·
Registered
870 Posts
cant be much help but symptoms suggest two things.

HG starting to fail, but then you will start loosing coolant and you will notice the header tank gurgling away when hot.
or the vti will throw out white steam if running rich and overfueling.

may be worth trusting the aa man, start by chucking a bottle of redex in first.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers will try some red ex later. Is there 4 fuel injectors or 1? I found one for about a tenner on Euro car parts but how easy would it be to fit? Thanks

·
Registered
870 Posts
the whole rail will pull out when all the bits are out the way, book says to change the injector seals, and being a di engine is probably a good idea.

i have cleaned them before with a syringe, tube and battery but to be honest its more effort than its worth.

would buy/download the haynes if i were you , gives step by step.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the Haynes manual now and gona have a look and price up how much it will cost to change injectors.
It made the 250 mile journey home fine, however still has some white smoke on idle and a gas? Smell. Also it has used over a litre of oil in 300 miles! Usually uses a litre every 800ish.

Would the excessive oil use be a symptom of faulty fuel injectors?

·
Registered
870 Posts
just check you havnt got a airlock, i know sounds crazy but we had this on the daughters car, lots of smoke/steam out of the tailpipe mostly at idle.

problem turned out to be we had 3 small leaks, one rad, one lower pipe to header tank and a pinhole in header tank.

i fixed all these but still had white smoke from rear.So then gave it a good bleed squeezing hoses and using the bleed cap, one day later no more steamy exhaust.

presume air was in contact with sensor and overfueling engine.

as for oi,l i use a additive but you will find mixed opinion on that.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just check you havnt got a airlock, i know sounds crazy but we had this on the daughters car, lots of smoke/steam out of the tailpipe mostly at idle.

problem turned out to be we had 3 small leaks, one rad, one lower pipe to header tank and a pinhole in header tank.

i fixed all these but still had white smoke from rear.So then gave it a good bleed squeezing hoses and using the bleed cap, one day later no more steamy exhaust.

presume air was in contact with sensor and overfueling engine.

as for oi,l i use a additive but you will find mixed opinion on that.
Cheers will check for an air lock. Maybe happened after i drained the coolant when replacing the thermostat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts