Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this same message at another forum before I found this one, but they didn't seem very helpful there, so maybe better luck here.

Hi everyone, for the past week I've been looking at a Peugeot 406 and went to take a look at it yesterday. But there were some things that made me a bit suspicious. The add said the car was from 96, but the owner said it might be a little newer, but he couldn't be sure at that moment, so to answer that question fast, could you name some details that I could have spotted to tell me what year it is? It's not the facelifted version though, probably between 96 and 98.
(It's not stealed or anything, owner just hadn't looked trough the papers)
Also he said they had disconnect that system where you push in a code to start the car.
But what worries me a bit is that he couldn't tell me when the cambelt or timing belt, not sure what you call it was last changed. All he could say was it was changed at least 1 time before. The car has driven about 165000 km, not sure if that is of any help. Also if the cambelt is to be changed, should the waterpump and that belttightener be changed too?(again not totally sure about the correct english names)
And last up for now, would I be able to change the cambelt myself? I have access to a great selection of tools and I have some basic experience with fiddling around with other basic mechanical stuff(no education on that area though).
Btw I am new here, so I figured this could be posted here, if not sorry for that.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Minime said:
I posted this same message at another forum before I found this one, but they didn't seem very helpful there, so maybe better luck here.

Hi everyone, for the past week I've been looking at a Peugeot 406 and went to take a look at it yesterday. But there were some things that made me a bit suspicious. The add said the car was from 96, but the owner said it might be a little newer, but he couldn't be sure at that moment, so to answer that question fast, could you name some details that I could have spotted to tell me what year it is? It's not the facelifted version though, probably between 96 and 98.
(It's not stealed or anything, owner just hadn't looked trough the papers)
Also he said they had disconnect that system where you push in a code to start the car.
But what worries me a bit is that he couldn't tell me when the cambelt or timing belt, not sure what you call it was last changed. All he could say was it was changed at least 1 time before. The car has driven about 165000 km, not sure if that is of any help. Also if the cambelt is to be changed, should the waterpump and that belttightener be changed too?(again not totally sure about the correct english names)
And last up for now, would I be able to change the cambelt myself? I have access to a great selection of tools and I have some basic experience with fiddling around with other basic mechanical stuff(no education on that area though).
Btw I am new here, so I figured this could be posted here, if not sorry for that.
If you can get the vin number of the car before buying i can get you all the details of the cars spec , i always change timing belt when i buy a car but it is also a good idea to change water pump and lower pulley, the 406 was the favourite for taxi drivers here as it was comfortable and the engine would last well over 200,000 miles , i have seen ones with 350,000 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah thanks for your replies. But would you think I'd be able to change the belt myself? Also where can you get the cheapest, but still quality parts for the car?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Cheap & quality do not normally go hand in hand as far as car parts are concerned, you normally get cheap or you get quality. I normally get either branded or genuine parts from eBay if I cannot afford them direct from the dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ah k, that makes sense. I think if I buy this car I should give it some maintenance on the engine, I think I would be spending about £150(the prices are in DKK, so I'm just making rough guesses), this includes all the different filters, new waterpump, belts and pulley.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
still need an answer on that timing belt issue. Is it just to take the old one of and put a new one on or is there more to it? Also which components should be changed while this is being done?
We already know we need to replace lower pulley and waterpump as said above, but how about the vent belt and anything else that might be there?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts