Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit a pothole a year ago and since then I have a metallic clunking sound which from the drivers seat sounds like its coming from offside, which is where I hit pot hole.
(The Metallic sound is like a spring being compressed and then released suddenly hitting a piece of plate steel)

I have had 2 New tyres & wheels, Balancing and so called alignment done.
noise never went away but got progressively worse. Garage said its the brakes so they've been changed no change.
I noticed both of my front wheels have badly worn in the 12months of the accident on the toe. 2 new tyres and Tracking has been fixed but the problem hasn't gone away.

When I Jacked up the nearside to take the front wheel off i could hear the metallic clunk every pulse of the jack which I thought could be springs.

I have been to the repair center and a Peugeot garage and both don't know what it is and just pointing out red herring jobs.

Has anyone else had something similar?

·
Registered
206 Posts
It could be broken spring or maybe a drop link or anti-roll bar bush.
You can check the drop link by removing it and driving somewhere you know it makes the noise to see if it's gone, or just replace the drop links they're not expensive and easy to do.
Anti-roll bar bushes can look fine but make a hell of a clunk as the bar squeezes the bush out under load and the bar bangs around in the mount. Or if you really whacked it maybe the AR bar bush has broken or the mounting bolt.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Slope
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Slope

·
Registered
206 Posts
Your garages and Pug dealer don't sound like they're up to the task. If I have to get info I always try to talk to the oldest mechanic in the place that's seen some stuff. I've had young guys look me right in the eye and tell me complete bullshit because they haven't learned to say "I don't know."

If you whacked it really hard one or both of the suspension bushes (3, 4) could be damaged and/or the ball joint (14). I would think that if it's making such an audible clunk as you jack it up you might be able to locate the problem from the sound. I'd start by disconnecting one end of the drop link and then do the jack thing again (I assume with the wheel back on). If it goes away it's likely in the sway bar assembly. If it's still there I'd say look at those bushes and ball joint, particularly the ball joint - you do not want a catastrophic ball joint failure.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts