Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peugeot 307 Style (2001 model), 3 door, 1.4 Petrol

When I release my foot from the accelerator pedal, I hear a fairly loud metal clanging noise. I would compare it to banging two heavy metal pans together. I hear it particularly in the lower gears when driving off and releasing the accelerator pedal while changing gears. The car also vibrates at just below 50mph, and around 70mph – in between this it drives smoothly. I’m not sure if the latter issue is related to the first but mention it for completeness.

The clanging noise does not happen when releasing the accelerator pedal when the engine is turned off.

I’ve had a good look under the bonnet and a quick inspection under the car (while kneeling down) and there is nothing that immediately stands out as being the cause of this problem.

Does anybody have any idea of just what this might be? I’d be very grateful for any assistance.

Regards,
Richard

·
Registered
556 Posts
Can you get someone you trust to get in the car bonnet open and with you looking get them to get the bite and off, do this a few times (careful they don't run you over) and see how much movement the engine has, also check the idlers and see what they are doing.
Its a long shot i know and i have a vague recollection on this job but xmas time i fixed the sister in laws 01 307 which i think was similar which turned out i think a pulley bolt was sheared, as i say i can't remember which pulley but it its on top and only held on by a bolt which may also hold the alternator, but see if it is wobbling around when checking.
Its worth a try and only 5 mins of your life wasted if I'm wrong, probably taken me longer to type this haha.
:nod:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I'll look into this further and loot34, I'll give your suggestions a try this weekend.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you find out what was causing the noise? I replaced the drop links but the noise is still present. Local mechanic couldn't find out what it was.
Sorry to comment on an oldish thread but i had a similar problem. Clanging pans sound when changing gear or pulling off etc and it got unbearable in the end. Cut it a long story short it was my "Back Box" it was rotted through haha. After a quick 20 min job and a new back box fitted with £60 lighter. I have no clanging coming from the car anymore.

Hope it helps you if your still suffering with the problem. :)

Mansell

1 - 6 of 6 Posts