Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

On our way home from a trip from Stavanger (Norway) to Roskilde (Denmark) and back again (~20 hours of driving in total) our car suddenly died completely. Engine and everything. Not even the emergency lights (or whatever they're called) would turn on when we had pulled over. After a quick once over of the fuse box, we called for roadside assistance. When they arrived, they found that the positive battery connector had completely melted through, and thus was no longer connected to the battery. The service guy "MacGyvered" it back on with some zip ties, and we were off again.

Several hours later we dropped off one of our friends, and while unloading the baggage we switched off the engine. When we tried to start again all we heard was a "click". We managed to push start the car, and get the rest of the way home.

I've now replaced the melted battery connector, but the starter motor still won't work. I've tested the battery, and it has 12,6V, so I'm guessing it's not that.

Also, when the ignition is on there is a continuous beeping coming from the engine compartment.

So my questions are:
1. What could cause the battery connector to melt?
2. What could be wrong with the starter motor?
3. Could the two problems be connected?
4. What is the continuous beeping coming from the engine compartment when the ignition is on?

The car is a 2005 307 SW 1,6 petrol.

See attached files for pictures of the melted connector.

Kind regards,
Michael
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
Hello!

On our way home from a trip from Stavanger (Norway) to Roskilde (Denmark) and back again (~20 hours of driving in total) our car suddenly died completely. Engine and everything. Not even the emergency lights (or whatever they're called) would turn on when we had pulled over. After a quick once over of the fuse box, we called for roadside assistance. When they arrived, they found that the positive battery connector had completely melted through, and thus was no longer connected to the battery. The service guy "MacGyvered" it back on with some zip ties, and we were off again.

Several hours later we dropped off one of our friends, and while unloading the baggage we switched off the engine. When we tried to start again all we heard was a "click". We managed to push start the car, and get the rest of the way home.

I've now replaced the melted battery connector, but the starter motor still won't work. I've tested the battery, and it has 12,6V, so I'm guessing it's not that.

Also, when the ignition is on there is a continuous beeping coming from the engine compartment.

So my questions are:
1. What could cause the battery connector to melt?
2. What could be wrong with the starter motor?
3. Could the two problems be connected?
4. What is the continuous beeping coming from the engine compartment when the ignition is on?

The car is a 2005 307 SW 1,6 petrol.

See attached files for pictures of the melted connector.

Kind regards,
Michael
The dead starter motor may indicate it was stuck in the engaged position and was feeding back to the battery - that is the nature of DC motors in that they also can act as generators. You have probably had too high a current passing back to the battery. Any better ideas from anyone out there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,906 Posts
I'd be thinking along the same lines as FourOaksMan. The battery connector failed at it's weakest point, maybe even designed to act like a fuse when a certain current flow was exceeded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
Hello!

On our way home from a trip from Stavanger (Norway) to Roskilde (Denmark) and back again (~20 hours of driving in total) our car suddenly died completely. Engine and everything. Not even the emergency lights (or whatever they're called) would turn on when we had pulled over. After a quick once over of the fuse box, we called for roadside assistance. When they arrived, they found that the positive battery connector had completely melted through, and thus was no longer connected to the battery. The service guy "MacGyvered" it back on with some zip ties, and we were off again.

Several hours later we dropped off one of our friends, and while unloading the baggage we switched off the engine. When we tried to start again all we heard was a "click". We managed to push start the car, and get the rest of the way home.

I've now replaced the melted battery connector, but the starter motor still won't work. I've tested the battery, and it has 12,6V, so I'm guessing it's not that.

Also, when the ignition is on there is a continuous beeping coming from the engine compartment.

So my questions are:
1. What could cause the battery connector to melt?
2. What could be wrong with the starter motor?
3. Could the two problems be connected?
4. What is the continuous beeping coming from the engine compartment when the ignition is on?

The car is a 2005 307 SW 1,6 petrol.

See attached files for pictures of the melted connector.

Kind regards,
Michael
The dead starter motor may indicate it was stuck in the engaged position and was feeding back to the battery - that is the nature of DC motors in that they also can act as generators. You have probably had too high a current passing back to the battery. Any better ideas from anyone out there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dead starter motor may indicate it was stuck in the engaged position and was feeding back to the battery - that is the nature of DC motors in that they also can act as generators. You have probably had too high a current passing back to the battery. Any better ideas from anyone out there?
That makes perfect sense to me. Calling local shops now for quotes on how much it'll cost to replace it. Thanks!

Any idea what that continuous beeping is though? Could it have damaged any other electrical components?
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top