Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One would expect that having the sort option for MP3's set to album, that it would play the tracks of the album in the correct track order for that album.

Turns out it doesn't.:confused:

For instance, if I select "Dark Side of the Moon" album, the first track played could be anything. Not a problem for pop music, or compilations, but a real bugger for albums that must be played in the correct track sequence, of which I have a lot.:mad:

Now, if I set the sort method to Folder, then the tracks are played in the correct order, and that's fine.:nod:

However, if I use voice control to choose an album, the sort order reverts to album, and you end up with the same problem.:mad:

Anybody else noticed this, or am I doing something wrong??

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
Speak to me but you must breath while you are out on the run
Please make sure you make some time for the great gig in the sky
Spend your money wise my friend give it to both us and them :)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
One would expect that having the sort option for MP3's set to album, that it would play the tracks of the album in the correct track order for that album.

Turns out it doesn't.:confused:

For instance, if I select "Dark Side of the Moon" album, the first track played could be anything. Not a problem for pop music, or compilations, but a real bugger for albums that must be played in the correct track sequence, of which I have a lot.:mad:

Now, if I set the sort method to Folder, then the tracks are played in the correct order, and that's fine.:nod:

However, if I use voice control to choose an album, the sort order reverts to album, and you end up with the same problem.:mad:

Anybody else noticed this, or am I doing something wrong??
This has been mentioned many times and is one of the reasons I have not been using a USB stick for playing music, as I like to listen to my albums in the correct order and as you have found, there are also problems when using the folder option. I have recently tried again and found the folder option is okay as long as you let it do its own thing and not interfere, in addition it can play FLAC files so no need for converting those files to mp3s so this is now the way forward for me.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting about the flac files. I'll investigate that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
683 Posts
Can you not number the tracks

01 - song name
02 - song name etc

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
All my music files (mp3/FLAC) have embedded track numbers but they still play in alphabetical track order in Album view. In fact they play numerical track order in folder view without any jiggery pokery.

I am loathe to amend any of my file names to allow them to play on what is in my opinion a very poor system. In any event amending the track title to include track number will presumably result in the track number being displayed as part of the title track on-screen. Not ideal for me.

Having said all that I am aware that the problem is with the way the files are handled by the memory stick if what I have read in the past is true. I had the same problem with my Ford Focus, so did some investigation on the subject then. My wife’s A1 has a hard drive for storing music files but it can also play music files from an SD card which play in the correct numerical order. I have Tried a USB/SD card reader in my 3008 but the media was not recognised by the system.

If anyone has a well-tried work-around so that music files play in the correct numerical order in album view without the track number being shown as part of the title I shall be very grateful to receive some guidance, as I am sure would many others. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Hi Meerkat

In Album or Artist view the screen shows a list of albums or artists on the memory stick to choose from like in iTunes. In folder view the screen shows a list of named folders to choose from like Windows explorer. The difference is that in Album or Artist view the album tracks are played in alphabetical order while in Folder view they are played in numerical order.

sheusz2000 gave the example that they want to hear Pink Floyd’s DSOTM in the correct order so has to use Folder view but still has problems. I agree, but I would have cited Pink Floyd’s ‘The Wall’ or Jeff Wayne’s ‘War of the Worlds’ where track order is of utmost importance. Furthermore they are two of the few CDs that my wife and I can agree on so are played often in both our cars. Without Folder view in the 3008, the albums would play in completely the wrong order whilst in my wife’s car they are played in the correct order which would be very confusing!

Thinks............. what about playlists? I might investigate this later!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The problem is that every time you change album (voice command or not), the sort order reverts to "album" - alphabetically. The system also do playlists and that might be one solution.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
The problem is that every time you change album (voice command or not), the sort order reverts to "album" - alphabetically.
I'm not so sure about that, I think I have gone back into folder list and chosen a new album that plays in the correct order but wouldn't bet on it! I have only been testing out playing music on a USB stick for a couple of weeks so just uploaded 4 albums. They have been going round and round without stopping and have maintained numerical track order but I'll test your theory next time I'm in the car.

On the subject of playlists, having thought again I recall that in the manual it states the system makes its own playlists but I am not certain whether they can be included on the USB stick. I’ve got an idea I tried this soon after I had the car and it didn't work. Perhaps I used the wrong format.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Meerkat

In Album or Artist view the screen shows a list of albums or artists on the memory stick to choose from like in iTunes. In folder view the screen shows a list of named folders to choose from like Windows explorer. The difference is that in Album or Artist view the album tracks are played in alphabetical order while in Folder view they are played in numerical order.

sheusz2000 gave the example that they want to hear Pink Floyd’s DSOTM in the correct order so has to use Folder view but still has problems. I agree, but I would have cited Pink Floyd’s ‘The Wall’ or Jeff Wayne’s ‘War of the Worlds’ where track order is of utmost importance. Furthermore they are two of the few CDs that my wife and I can agree on so are played often in both our cars. Without Folder view in the 3008, the albums would play in completely the wrong order whilst in my wife’s car they are played in the correct order which would be very confusing!

Thinks............. what about playlists? I might investigate this later!
Right, in that case i am always using album view.

With the current album art showing in the middle and the other albums lined along the bottom of the screen. Without being 100 percent certain, but im sure mine plays in the correct track order, but i cant recall if the the current song playing has a track number prefix showing???

I will have to check, if its not, its obviously something to do with the IDTAG for the mp3 itself and the programmes mp3tag and tag&rename that have achieved it.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Really must congratulate Peugeot on making a perfectly simple, and obvious, requirement totally inexplicable and confusing.:confused:

BTW, I checked, and my MP3 copy of DTSOM on the USB does have the track number at the start of the song title. (e.g 03 Breathe)

I may have to resort to using DriveSort again :(
Anerty's Lair - DriveSort

I used this software when I added a USB input to my 307 a few years ago for similar reasons. The head unit treated the USB as a CD stacker, up to 9 "CD's" on the USB with up to 99 tracks on each CD. Took some figuring out, but in the end the result was that it actually played tracks in the order I wrote to the USB.

Maybe technology hasn't changed that much in 15 years after all. Or maybe software writers don't think things through.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Maybe technology hasn't changed that much in 15 years after all. Or maybe software writers don't think things through.
Still haven't found anything that matches the abilities of the Empeg (aka Rio Car), but that was designed/coded by guys/enthusiasts that 'got' what mp3 is/was all about. Originally designed 20 years ago...

Of course, having a good Linux kernel programmer among the users allowed for things not originally planned for, even as the code for the player/GUI software got locked away in a series of company acquisitions. Still, I'd say just the core functionality is still unsurpassed, never mind the added goodies.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts