Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Bought a '55 plate 407 136 HDI Executive, lovely car but about 3 days in woke up to vibration, rattle/grind etc, from prev experience and a listen/feel it appears DMF has gone, did a bit of road testing and all symptoms are there.. Now, I've had cars with SMF conversions in the past but last owner did the work - I've purchased a new clutch and single mass flywheel from a reputable auto-factors after we made 100% sure everything was right - problem is, no one seems willing to fit the thing, phoned 6 garages and all up for it as long as they supply clutch - I paid £255 inc VAT (minus trade discount) for clutch and flywheel from SAF, 4 out of 6 garages quoted me £375 - £450 JUST FOR PARTS, when I asked where from most said SAF..

Reason for this post - anyone know an indie garage that would fit MY flywheel/clutch? looking at no more than £200 labour

Cheers

Gaz

·
5,071 Posts
Which solid flywheel did you buy?? not a common thing for the 2.0. Not surprised your having difficulty getting anyone to fit it for you i think ive only heard of one person being happy with smf all the others have either hated it or taken it back out.
Good luck in your search :thumb:

·
Registered
182 Posts
its a shame ratedpeople dont do mechanics?

Anyone ever try https://www.clickmechanic.com/

Only just seen them for the first time.

Playing around with my car it says

Clutch replacement
4-5 hours labour time
Includes parts: Clutch plate, cover & release bearing.
£635.40
All parts are brand new with a 12 month warranty
Dealer garage estimate £1052.70
Our price£635.40
You save 39%

Flywheel replacement
5-6 hours labour time
Includes parts: Flywheel.
£1,158.80
Dealer garage estimate £1716.32
Our price£1158.80
You save 32%

LOL i dont think so.

Best try on this forum if anyone can help you.

·
Registered
182 Posts
its a shame ratedpeople dont do mechanics?

Anyone ever try https://www.clickmechanic.com/

Only just seen them for the first time.

Playing around with my car it says

Clutch replacement
4-5 hours labour time
Includes parts: Clutch plate, cover & release bearing.
£635.40
Dealer garage estimate £1052.70
Our price£635.40
You save 39%

Flywheel replacement
5-6 hours labour time
Includes parts: Flywheel.
£1,158.80
Dealer garage estimate £1716.32
Our price£1158.80
You save 32%

LOL i dont think so.

Best try on this forum if anyone can help you.
for this price of 1800 for clutch and flywheel you could buy 5 or so 307 pugs complete secondhand lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been playing with Diagbox and my cloned cables - well, mainly installing software all day - had a quick play, found out my egr blocking has worked and my rear right reverse sensor is buggered, which is good to know

·
Registered
855 Posts
Don't forget to buy gearbox oil (from Peugeot), rear main oil seal (if it's leaking, you might as well replace it now) and maybe driveshaft oil seals.

Someone else will surely know what other parts are needed!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is that the crank rear oil seal?

Cheers

Just got 5ltr 75w80 gl5 gearbox oil for citroen/pug for £25 from a taxi driver mate :)

·
Registered
855 Posts
Yep, that's the one. Also the sump plug washer for the gearbox. It's all the little bits you tend to forget!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers mate

I'm off down SAF tomorrow for bits - suspect I'll need large/2 large bottles DOT4 as well

·
Registered
274 Posts
i have fitted loads of smf in diffrent makes to peugeot 2.0. they have all tended to be a lot heavier on the left leg afterwards. i recently replaced one back to dmf after 3 weeks after the taxi driver customer could,nt stick it anymore as most of his work was in town centres. i don,t mind customers bringing their own parts because if they are faulty and need to be replaced then i get paid twice:lol:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rear oil seal

Sorry for my ignorance but is it timing end or this one

CRANKSHAFT SEAL
PART NO : 117FO0040
£24.13
CRANKSHAFT SEAL
CRANKSHAFT SEAL

Crankshaft Seal for various Ford, Fiat, Citroen, Jaguar, Lancia, Land Rover, Mitsubishi, Peugeot and Volvo applications.

SPECIFICATION
QUALITY standard
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION 2 with mounting sleeve
DUST COVER with dust lip
FITTING POSITION Transmission End
INNER DIAMETER [MM] 90
RADIAL SHAFT SEAL DESIGN ASW
SWIRL TYPE Left-hand Twist
WIDTH [MM] 7

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
****** update *****

£150 labour - woohoo - turns out my eldest lads girlfriends dad is a mechanic for volvo

·
Registered
855 Posts
It's at the opposite end to the timing belt. £150 is about normal for Yorkshire I reckon, that's what my mechanic would charge me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quick update - yes, a SMF is shit and, like my misses, grumbles a lot... bloody thing but it is what it is...

·
Registered
855 Posts
Thanks for keeping us all updated. When you say it grumbles a lot, is there vibration coming from it or just a lot of noise? Is it any heavier? Does it feel any better to drive though (I find the DMF a bit mushy, there's no instant 'bite' )

Atleast this way I will know whether to put one on my HDi should it come to it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I'm being honest there's vibration, not massive but enough to be annoying on a long run (I did Nottingham to Belgium and back on Saturday) it's a bit grabby when you let clutch out... What didn't help was the guy who fitted it didn't do the underside tray up right so the ramp on to the ferry ripped that off, the wee bit that was left 'thunked' all down the E16 until I snapped it off and he didn't tighten the large (lower) pipe up properly that kept popping off when I booted it (causing DPF fault, EML and limp mode and I never packed my large flat bladed screwdriver) and he didn't set the handbrake after renewing the brake fluid so had no handbrake - hour yesterday and that wee auto tension button, sorted, what an excellent bit of kit that is

On the plus side - I'm back to 48mpg, can go up hills and the horrendous rattle from knackered DMF has gone, and I found £16.42 in change rattling about under the handbrake mechanism

I'd probably opt, if I was doing it again, for a DMF

1 - 20 of 21 Posts