Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm currently driving a company163hp diesel mondeo estate and its due for change. I'm stuck between choosing the mazda 6 150hp or 3008 gt line 150. After reading the threads I'm concerned about increased road and engine noise in the 3008 compared to the mondeo as I drive mainly on mways and I like a quiet fast cruise!
The 3008 seems to be top of my list but I could do with someone somehow comparing the noise levels for this model.
I also tow a caravan and wondered if anyone has towed with the 1.6hdi 120? As I could save some company car tax with the allure 120 hdi.
Thanks!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I don't know how old your Mondeo is, but I switched from a 2013 Ford Focus 1,6 Ecoboost to a 2017 3008 1,6 THP.

The 3008 feels way more quiet inside on motorways. I don't know how much more noisier the diesel engines are.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats interesting, its a 2013 model, my son has a 2013 focus 1.0 and I could drive that all day on the mway so your reply is good news! How do you rate the 1.6thp? Has anyone towed with this?

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you don?t mind me asking, can you briefly explain how you got it narrowed down to these two?

The Mazda 6 is a saloon if I?m not wrong? The CX3 or CX5 are mazda?s competition to the 3008 - is it an SUV you?re after?

I have the 1.2 3008 and I find it very quiet. Of course I?d expect the diesel to be a bit louder but you could also look to upgrade to Focal sound which will give you better speakers etc. but also gives you better sound insulation - not sure if this is something you were already considering or may be open to if you?re spending someone else?s money!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Yes, I have a GT Line 1.6 petrol auto fitted with Focal and can confirm it is ‘very’ quiet.
I am a great believer that the Focal insulation does indeed play a significant part in internal sound insulation.
With the front windows changed to laminated, the doors, dashboard and under floor foam insulated makes for a very quiet drive.
I’ve mentioned this before but on the day we picked up the 3008 we immediately drove in to the nearest petrol station. On stopping my wife pressed the Stop/Start button but wasn’t sure she had pressed it hard enough.
I felt the steering wheel but couldnt feel any vibration. It wasn’t until I got out and went round to the back that I could hear the exhaust still happily chugging away to itself.
The car is quiet on the outside but on the inside it’s unbelievably quiet.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Mazda

I have driven several Mondeo's over the last few years and the 3008 is pretty quiet on the motorway in petrol guise.

I had a DS4 with a 1.6 diesel and that was pretty quiet on the motorway so i expect the 3008 to be much the same

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great replies...thanks.
The Mazda 6 is the estate version, the problem nowadays is the manufacturers are concentrating on the Suv market so estates get left behind. The 3008 has a big enough boot, looks great and has toys to keep me busy in traffic jams!
Does anyone have the 2.0 150 hdi that could comment? I think this would be the one for towing.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Too bad you need to tow because for the same price you could have the 1.6 diesel auto which is really nice, and quite reactive (the 2L feels much heavier).

Can you add some options ? If yes, as stated above consider the focal as it adds extra insulation in the doors and it feels even quitter for most.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes need to tow...shame the 2.0 isnt available in the allure otherwise I would add options like focal. Makes it over budget in gt line trim.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
You refer to motorway speeds, so there would be an economy penalty compared to the Mazda6 due to its increased frontal area and slightly poorer CD.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Hi. I'm currently driving a company163hp diesel mondeo estate and its due for change. I'm stuck between choosing the mazda 6 150hp or 3008 gt line 150. After reading the threads I'm concerned about increased road and engine noise in the 3008 compared to the mondeo as I drive mainly on mways and I like a quiet fast cruise!
The 3008 seems to be top of my list but I could do with someone somehow comparing the noise levels for this model.
I also tow a caravan and wondered if anyone has towed with the 1.6hdi 120? As I could save some company car tax with the allure 120 hdi.
Thanks!

This video might be of some help:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
Thats interesting, its a 2013 model, my son has a 2013 focus 1.0 and I could drive that all day on the mway so your reply is good news! How do you rate the 1.6thp? Has anyone towed with this?
My parents actually have a diesel 2013 Mondeo. I thought they had 150hp, but maybe it is the same 163hp that you have. My 3008 and their Mondeo are two different worlds - both in perceived quality and actual quality. And by no means are the Mondeo and Focus bad cars - I think they are great driving machines!

Regarding the engines: one thing I've noticed is that the 1,6 THP (165/240) is nowhere near as quick and responsive as the 1,6 Ecoboost (150/250-270). Most likely because the Ecoboost have a "boost" functionality that ups the torque to 270 when you floor it, and that the THP is connected to a old-school automatic gearbox (not dual clutch). However the THP still feels quick enough on a day to day basis.

Other noticable things:
* the 3008 has better seat side support than my parents 2013 Mondeo, but it's beaten by the leather sports seats in the 2013 Focus I had.
* the 3008 does not have active grille shutter like the Focus (and maybe Mondeo?) have. In real world that makes the THP spend ages to get properly warm because of the massive grille that sucks in air.
* the 3008 does not have heated windscreen like Ford have as standard (at least in Norway). It does have a stupid solution with cables (like every car have in the rear window) on the side and bottom of the windscreen as option. I did not get that because it looks silly.
* suspension on the 3008 is really good - just like on Ford. It's different setups, but you can tell that the engineers knew what they were doing while they created the setup. The 3008 does not roll much and still feels comfortable when driving over speed bumps and pot holes.
* the 3008 does not have a way of controlling the wiper sensitivity like Ford do. It's way too sensitive on the 3008, so I often use the wipers in manual mode instead of automatic mode.

·
Registered
408 Posts
To some extend, coming to a 3008 fan addict forum, for sure we will tend to direct you to the 3008 :)

I tried the mazda 6 (in saloon) and it was quite fuel efficient (better than the 3008 ? I don't know) but I found it quite noisy (A-pillar noise mostly) and much more basic than the 3008.

And in terms of leasing cost, the 3008 was more equipped (ACC, etc).

Last thing : for me the GT version was cheaper than the Allure fully equipped !

Other last thing (lol), reading on French forums, if you get the 3008, get the towbar ordered and fitted by Peugeot : it let them reprogram the rear park sensors (and camera ? ) to behave differently when the towbar is in place.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
For towing don't go under 150hp, and more importantly... the torque offcourse, so stay away from the small engines, my advice :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Some of the diesel engines are a collaboration with Ford and some of the petrol engines were a collaboration with BMW.
So it depends if we talk about the 1.6 diesel or the 1.6 petrol :)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The petrol was a Peugeot/BMW collaboration and I understand the early series suffered from BMW’s ‘narrow’ cam drive chain which stretched somewhat........pretty bulletproof now.
Oh dear!.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Having owned a couple of Mazda6 tourers (estates) and now a 2017 3008 I'll offer some thoughts.

Both my tourers were the 185BHP Diesel Sport Nav 6 model. That engine is smooth and very powerful. The 150BHP version 6 feels VERY underpowered by comparison. The 6 is a 'drivers' car, the toed in front wheels and Skyactiv engineering make it fun to drive for such a big lump of a car. The boot in the 6 is very slightly bigger (deeper and slightly wider) than the 3008, and there is also slightly more rear legroom in the 6. The 150BHP Diesel 3008 feels very slightly less powerful than the 185BHP Mazda, but both are fine for towing.

The Mazda infotainment system is truly awful: the phone connectivity is sporadic at best, contacts download every time you start the car, and my message retrieval would change between various combinations of receiving emails, texts, and receiving nothing at all, and the 'text to voice' function worked when it felt like it. The radio was truly awful as well: constantly lost signal and DAB signal where I live was non-existent.

By comparison the 3008 is an absolute pleasure inside, the i-cockpit works, everything connects as it should, and connections are solid and consistent. DAB radio is excellent where I live, with very occasional dropouts at secluded beaches.

Interior quality is much higher in the 3008: after 2 1/2 years the Mazda certainly showed its age inside - very worn (leather) seats, and the dashboard generally felt 'low rent'. There are some known mechanical issues with the Mazda as well: boot struts, handbrake calipers, and rear door locks, which, in my experience, the dealership was very reluctant to address these.

If I went for a Mazda again (which at moment I don't envisage) I would go for the CX5 - comparable to the 3008 (just not as attractive inside or out).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts