Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so started the little service tonight on the 106, and I had to remove a pipe to get to the final spark plug.

When I removed the pipe and the top part coming out the top of the engine was gunked up with mayo a fair bit of it aswell, I scooped out what i could with a rag. I have now also noticed a little (just a little) under the oil cap on the top cover.

Is this normal to get a bit or is this going down the Head gasket failure road......

Pic shows pipe I am referring too

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was done up with a jubilee clip and was tight as hell so i doubt anyone poured water in there lol.

Could it be a build of condensation from a lot of short trips, was a learners car prior?

·
5,011 Posts
yep short trips would/could be the cause, wipe out the pipe as best you can or remove it and clean it thoroughly then keep an eye on it for a few weeks and see if it returns, my guess if the engine gets up to temp regularly it won't

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good thinking,im going to give it a few good runs and keep an eye on the water level. If it is HGF it has to be losing water

·
5,632 Posts
If the oil on dipstick is fine I would go for condensation from cold and damp weather, often happens in the winter.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no gunk on the dipstick.

Driven around a 100 + miles in it so far, after an 80 mile run no gunk under the oil cap.

Did around 10 miles yesterday (2 x 5 mile trips) and there was a little gunk under the oil cap.

The pipe I removed in the pic (which i presume is a breather pipe) was full of the gunk.

Going to mark the coolant bottle today and see if I am actually losing coolant or not, its so hard to tell as you can't really see the level through the side of the bottle and the neck is so small its even harder to see into it lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems it's very common then.

One issue I've got is I think the pressure cap on the coolant is knackered seal doesn't look great so going to replace that but also where is the max mark for the coolant I have a min mark but no max

·
5,632 Posts
Sound a mad thing to say but get new cap from Pug dealer. They are cheaper than ebay and most indy parts suppliers.

Rule of thumb moulding line on tank is max (or if you have level sensor cover the plastic cross you can see looking in top of tank)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's is mad lol I shall head to the dealership and get one from them.

I have the moulding line and that's where the coolant was before and it kept coming out the cap when the car got hot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts