Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right I may have some issues with the engine in my 136 hdi sw, please bear with me while I try to explain!

I had the car serviced about a month ago shortly after I took ownership as it was getting ready for it's next service and the front brakes had shuffled off their mortal coil.
The service comprised of ... new air filter, new fuel filter, new oil filter and a complete engine oil change, refilling with 5w30 c2 low ash (this is what I was recommended to to use in this car). At the same time I had the guy fit new discs and pads up front and run a full system diagnostic test thingy!
Very shortly after the service was done I changed the crank sensor to cure the random, yet annoying cutting out fault the car had developed.

During the service the garage guy made me aware of a couple of things, firstly was the oil leak down the back of the engine, he couldn't tell me where this was coming from .. because reasons and said it would need further investigation, but to me it's comimg from around the crank sensor area or above it on the drivers side at the back of the engine. In 3000 miles I haven't needed to top up the oil yet but the leak appears to be worse with the thinner oil in there (where is the most likely place for the oil leak to be?).

Also the garage guy made me aware of 2 faults the first fault was "turbo overboost" and didn't say if it was a permanent fault or not. Now that brings me to another question about this car that no-one seems to be able to answer, when the engine is cold it seems that you can hear the turbo spooling alot more than you should ... I think there is a ghost living in my exhaust or something. As soon as the engine warms up a bit the turbo goes quite and is as you would expect it to be, It does seem to boost well all the time as it should though.
The next thing he said was about a fault I have had cleared about 7 times now in total that just keeps coming back, the fault is along the lines of "fuel pump relay stuck open circuit or switching too fast (bank1) when ignition is turned off, intermittent fault" No-one is able to tell me what this fault might be, not even Peugeot! The response I had from Peugeot service was that the car didn't have a fuel pump relay and also was not fitted with an in tank lift pump "ignore it". But now the car is surging when you start it first thing, only for a minute or so but it's annoying and I can't help but think it's a related issue.

Any advice on these issues would be greatly appreciated, I know that there is something wrong but I couldn't tell you if it's down on power or not as I never knew what it was like before I started doing all this work and spending all this money on it! I guess as the car has now done 211,000 miles it could just be a very tired engine, but I would like to get her running right and fix all of these little faults if I can before condeming the engine!
Again Thanks in advance

·
11,780 Posts
The next thing he said was about a fault I have had cleared about 7 times now in total that just keeps coming back, the fault is along the lines of "fuel pump relay stuck open circuit or switching too fast (bank1) when ignition is turned off, intermittent fault" No-one is able to tell me what this fault might be, not even Peugeot! The response I had from Peugeot service was that the car didn't have a fuel pump relay and also was not fitted with an in tank lift pump "ignore it". But now the car is surging when you start it first thing, only for a minute or so but it's annoying and I can't help but think it's a related issue.
Clearing repeated faults doesn't make the fault go away.

The fact its intermittent would lead me to believe its a wiring or connection issue or the part is on its way out. Visual inspection is the way to go.

Post last 8 digits of your VIN to find out on Servicebox if there's a lift pump. General rule of thumb is that if you don't have a priming bulb there is one. And "bigger" engines (110bhp) tend to have them, so I'd be surprised if yours doesn't.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
o.k I will get the numbers asap then ... I am wondering if the noisy turbo accompanying the oil that is leaking around the crank sensor could be a broken turbo pipe? this would maybe explain a few things, especially the overboost fault!
Car has only got to last till the test is up in January now anyway when I will be getting a proper car and this crap heap can go for scrap at 8 years old lol! Never getting another peugeot EVER total waste of money

1 - 3 of 3 Posts