Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi a couple of questions i have just brought a 306 dturbo (n reg) with just over 209000 miles on it runs great no smoke etc however the power steering feels heavy is this normal or maybe a problem? Also there is a rattle/grinding noise on pull away/low revs could this be a pulley? Either way are these easy to fix or maybe something different. Many thanks in advance.

B

·
0 Posts
Hi - and welcome!

There are issues with the crank pulleys breakimng up, that could be grinding noise, but it would not go away!

I would , as suggested, check for leaks first.

Power steering is easy to check - dont start the engine and try and move the steering wheel... then start engine and compair...

Lastly, are your tyres at the right pressure?

David

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Forgot to mention check your belts and change them regular, if the fanbelt starts to shred it can take out the timming belt and thats it all over, personal experience on that one.:cursing:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bettyswollocks said:
Forgot to mention check your belts and change them regular, if the fanbelt starts to shred it can take out the timming belt and thats it all over, personal experience on that one.:cursing:
How hard is it to change the 2 belts myself as there doesnt seem to be much room on that side of the engine. As yet i still need to get a haynes manual for it. Also there is air-con on it which i think still works!. Dont know if that will make a difference. Thanks.

B

·
0 Posts
Hi

The aircon wont add any hassle - my 307 has aircon and was the easiest aux belt I have ever done.

I can post a belt routing diagram for you in the morning if it helps?

David

B

·
0 Posts
highmileage306 said:
Yes that would be great. Thanks
Check these - it will be one of them... see attachment.

Probably be the top right - with PAS and AC.

D

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
could also be the serpentine belt tensioner it has a damper and spring that's what rattles and a pig to do you will see it behind the diesel pump.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pugbod said:
could also be the serpentine belt tensioner it has a damper and spring that's what rattles and a pig to do you will see it behind the diesel pump.
Will you be able to tell if it is this that is playing up?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BestGear said:
Hi - and welcome!

There are issues with the crank pulleys breakimng up, that could be grinding noise, but it would not go away!

I would , as suggested, check for leaks first.

Power steering is easy to check - dont start the engine and try and move the steering wheel... then start engine and compair...

Lastly, are your tyres at the right pressure?

David
Obviously this could be serious but is there any way of checking to see if it is this?

·
Registered
239 Posts
on my old Citroen diesel ( same engine ) I changed the tensioner because I thought it was that making the rattle then I noticed the tensioner pulley was twisting when engine running and that was the rear damper ( the tensioner bolts into it so you need to replace both bits ) the harder you reved the louder the noise got as the pulley was bouncing and vibrating a lot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine only makes the noisewhen you drive it and only at about 1500 rpm. I have been down the local motor factors today asking them about tensioners and when they put my reg in there computer and got my engine up the picture they had of the belt and tensioners was not the same as the ones that are in this thread and saying that there is only 1 belt? Is there a seperate cam belt and timing belt or is there just 1 belt which runs everything? Thanks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
the cam belt/timing belt is a totally different thing and behind a black plastic cover which is behind the serpentine belt which runs every thing like A/C/alternator/power steering etc this is the tensioner you should be looking at.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
You will notice if the noise goes away if you increase pressure on the tensioner then thats the problem,
( but do it carefully as the car is running at the time),
if the noise doesn`t go away then it could be the pulley.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts