Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Any one advise or had a similar problem.. Car is a 206 XS on a 99 plate..

When the car is not in gear and is just ticking over. There is noise being generated which is louder than the engine, should like a turning, almost grinding noise.. when the clutch is depressed the noise disappears altogether, which makes me think it's a clutch bearing of some type.

The car drives fine without any problems..

Any advice, welcome.
Shaun,

G

·
Clutch bearings wearing, is it a high mileage car?

Or worse.... gearbox itself! Check for gearbox oil leaks/top up oil and see if it still occurs

Had it on a 306 and it was the clutch that needed replacing, never actually replaced it tho cos the car was a wreck, didnt do it much harm but the clutch got progressively worse! :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sounds like input shaft main bearing in the Gearbox that is on it's way out.

Look for any oil leak at the gearbox/engine join underneath.
As the bearing goes,the seal usually gives up too.

I replaced the Gbox on mine 2 years ago because the Differential gave up. Mine is a 99 plate, and has hit the "replace everything" wall.
Full set of wheelbearings next :D
Just done mine.

Replace the clutch at the same time. A replacement G/box is around £175 and a quick swap. 1/2 day labour and a diy job :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Replace the clutch at the same time. A replacement G/box is around £175 and a quick swap. 1/2 day labour and a diy job :D[/QUOTE]

Can you give a run down on how to change remove and replace the gearbox please?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome, its the release bearing. I highly doubt its the input shaft bearing to be honest... Worked on too many of these.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Kris said:
Welcome, its the release bearing. I highly doubt its the input shaft bearing to be honest... Worked on too many of these.
Well in that case - treat it to a new clutch this summer :D You get the release bearing with the clutch kit.

I may have missed something - but this is basically it -
Remove air filter, top hose, and side bracket.
Remove battery and battery tray.
Remove nearside wheel, support high on 2 axle stands.
Remove NS driveshaft nut.
Remove lower balljoint bolt.
Remove NS driveshaft - catch oil from G'box
Remove engine mount on RH of engine bay - support G/box and engine on boards/ jack.
Remove G'box plugs & wiring.
Remove starter assembly at rear.
undo engine speed sensor at front/flywheel.
Remove clutch cable from fork.
Unbolt all G'box bolts.
Separate G'box - slowly and in line.
Jam flywheel and remove clutch pressure plate bolts - equally all round to prevent distortion.
Replace clutch and use thread lock on bolts. Tighten progressively & use a guide for the friction plate.
Replace release bearing.
***** do not move clutch lever when fitting ******* (it can slip the bearing off the fork - been there - done that) I now use Gaffer tape !!!

Line up G'box and turn crank with spanner to line up splines.

You will need hexagon sockets for the cap head screws, but standard tooling for the rest. Also a square oil plug tool for the G'box filler. Remember to put oil in the g'box!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stubbo said:
Clutch bearings wearing, is it a high mileage car?

Or worse.... gearbox itself! Check for gearbox oil leaks/top up oil and see if it still occurs

Had it on a 306 and it was the clutch that needed replacing, never actually replaced it tho cos the car was a wreck, didnt do it much harm but the clutch got progressively worse! :D
Clutch bearing is on its way out and should be under warranty due to mileage!

·
Registered
4 Posts
clutch problem

Hi guys

Just joined the forum to fnd help. Car is 206 ,T reg 99, done 70000. clutch occassionally become lose when depressed down. I have to release and depressed again before I can change gear. It sounds a bit noisy like stepping on fresh snow. recently changed gear selectors . What can this be? any ideas?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.